Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this when the news came out we were signing him and I gave him the benefit of the doubt....
Southampton was 7th and 6th under Koeman. We were seriously lacking in talent last year and we were 7th. One season at Valencia doesn't change that. He did win the Copa Del Rey that year, so he wasn't a complete disaster.

Let's see what he comes up with on Sunday. I want to see more movement, more creativity, too, but he's got a lot of players out and 2 games in a short time span. If he comes out with some combination of Lookman, Vlasic, Kev, with Niasse up front and sits Rooney, I think we'll see a little different team. At least we finally got Baines attacking with some width, we just have no one in the middle to finish. Niasse isn't great, but his movement is sooooo much better than anyone else we've got. I'll be interested to see how that plays out - gotta believe he starts him Sunday.

I still find it amusing that everyone is criticizing his use of two DMs last night, ripping him for playing with too many defensive minded players, yet we were horrid on set pieces, conceded two goals, and far and away the biggest issue was the center halfs. And honestly, I'm just not sure what he could do about Williams and Holgate being his only two CB options. The guy asked for another CB.

At the time I wrote it off because there was seemingly more to the story with the club being in financial crisis it was rumored that Koeman was ordered to drop some of those players who were kicking off about him by the Club President who wanted them to put in transfer requests so he could generate some cash flow while their stadium project went tits up.

Crazy, if true. However with Everton he's at a stable club which has backed him for the most part.

That last part in bold has just given me the chills. Hopefully not a bad omen :oops:

Southampton was 7th and 6th under Koeman. We were seriously lacking in talent last year and we were 7th. One season at Valencia doesn't change that. He did win the Copa Del Rey that year, so he wasn't a complete disaster.

Let's see what he comes up with on Sunday. I want to see more movement, more creativity, too, but he's got a lot of players out and 2 games in a short time span. If he comes out with some combination of Lookman, Vlasic, Kev, with Niasse up front and sits Rooney, I think we'll see a little different team. At least we finally got Baines attacking with some width, we just have no one in the middle to finish. Niasse isn't great, but his movement is sooooo much better than anyone else we've got. I'll be interested to see how that plays out - gotta believe he starts him Sunday.

I still find it amusing that everyone is criticizing his use of two DMs last night, ripping him for playing with too many defensive minded players, yet we were horrid on set pieces, conceded two goals, and far and away the biggest issue was the center halfs. And honestly, I'm just not sure what he could do about Williams and Holgate being his only two CB options. The guy asked for another CB.
Er identify that Williams wasn't good enough for the first team and sign someone else! He only wanted a replacement for Mori which would still have left Williams playing last night with Mori's replacement!

Er identify that Williams wasn't good enough for the first team and sign someone else! He only wanted a replacement for Mori which would still have left Williams playing last night with Mori's replacement!
That's what he SAID to the public. I think it was pretty obvious that he wanted a CB option to compete with Williams. That's why Walsh was after Vermaelen in my opinion. Huge injury risk, so he's not the reliable type to bring in to provide depth. I genuinely believe he wanted him here to start. Honestly, I'm not sure how that didn't happen. Vermaelen finally made the bench last week, but otherwise doesn't play.

Lacking in talent? You can't be serious?

The squad he took over included players who have since been sold to City, United and Barcelona, and another who would have gone to Chelsea if he hadn't decided not to. He then spent about £100m on new players, so if we were seriously lacking talent he has to take a lot of the blame.

People are criticising the use of 2 defensive midfielders because it led to us lacking control in the middle of the pitch. We couldn't use the ball well enough or move it quick enough, many people feel that sacrificing one of the DMs would have allowed us to exert control in the middle of the pitch, and thus relieve much of the pressure on the centre halves. It may also have meant we could score more than 2 ourselves, and mean the 2 we conceded were irrelevant. Football isn't as black and white as more defensive players = better defence, a balanced side which plays to its strengths is key.

Finally, what could he do about the centre halves? Not buy Williams perhaps? Spend some money on a new centre half instead of blowing 90% of the budget on 3 players for the same position?

Lacking in talent? You can't be serious?

The squad he took over included players who have since been sold to City, United and Barcelona, and another who would have gone to Chelsea if he hadn't decided not to. He then spent about £100m on new players, so if we were seriously lacking talent he has to take a lot of the blame.

People are criticising the use of 2 defensive midfielders because it led to us lacking control in the middle of the pitch. We couldn't use the ball well enough or move it quick enough, many people feel that sacrificing one of the DMs would have allowed us to exert control in the middle of the pitch, and thus relieve much of the pressure on the centre halves. It may also have meant we could score more than 2 ourselves, and mean the 2 we conceded were irrelevant. Football isn't as black and white as more defensive players = better defence, a balanced side which plays to its strengths is key.

Finally, what could he do about the centre halves? Not buy Williams perhaps? Spend some money on a new centre half instead of blowing 90% of the budget on 3 players for the same position?
Stop talking sense.

Formation.webp

SEE IT DAMN YOU...... SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what he SAID to the public. I think it was pretty obvious that he wanted a CB option to compete with Williams. That's why Walsh was after Vermaelen in my opinion. Huge injury risk, so he's not the reliable type to bring in to provide depth. I genuinely believe he wanted him here to start. Honestly, I'm not sure how that didn't happen. Vermaelen finally made the bench last week, but otherwise doesn't play.
Thank god we didn't sign Vermaelen, injury prone and slower than Williams. Vermaelen and centre half we're only mentioned once Mori got injured. The money was there to sign a centre half to replace Williams, he chose to spend it on Klaasen.

Thank god we didn't sign Vermaelen, injury prone and slower than Williams. Vermaelen and centre half we're only mentioned once Mori got injured. The money was there to sign a centre half to replace Williams, he chose to spend it on Klaasen.

If he spent the money on Klaassen, why did he spend the whole month of August saying we needed a left sided CB and a Striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back