Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet we offered $60M to sign Costa? Come on. And Vermaelen isn't slower than Williams, nor was he the only CB asked for. And stop blaming Koeman for spending money on players, he's the coach, not the D of F and not the board.
lol lol He's the joker picking the players to sign. Williams, Bolassie, Stek, Martina, Klaasen, Sigurdsson, Rooney etc they are all on Koeman- if you think Walsh is picking them you're deluding yourself!

I'm yet to be convinced, although I'm prepared to give him time.

Can't help playing in a team that's being set up completely wrong all the time
Agreed mate. Which players are performing well within the current system? Only possibly DCL. Which makes it all the more baffling that koeman refuses to change the system when it is so obviously failing.

I admire your optimism mate, but we are a midtable side with a ramshackle stadium, and in the last 30 years we've won as much as Portsmouth and Wigan: one FA Cup.

We're not exactly an attractive proposition.

Last night on TalkSport several of the pundits mentioned Harry Redknapp as a possible successor to Koeman if the Dutchman was sacked. I nearly had a heart attack. I'd rather have Sean Dyche than 'arry.

It say's it all about our status as a club in the modern era, when people are talking about Harry Redknapp as a possible successor to Koeman.

Absolutely. I remember the days when we were regarded as an equal of the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal.

Now we're talked of in the same vein as the likes of Stoke and Birmingham.

Bang on he's a clown with no strategy either in terms of purchases or tactics.
Mate the sheer incompetence is astounding, what makes it worse is that he only got interested in the job when he heard the money we were offering Emery. We should never have appointed him. If there's one thing worse than appointing a mercenary, it's appointing an incompetent mercenary!

Sadly I fear that unless we have an Evertonian in charge any manager we have dill have this attitude. It's probably only Redknapp out of the current managers who recognise Everton as a significant force in football, the rest have now grown up weened on a diet of Liverpool/United/Chelsea. They are unable to tap into the psyche of the Everton supporter. Moyes was bewildered why uscfans wanted better than 5th or to win at places like Old Trafford. Koeman is the same, he thinks we're privileged just to have him and if he bores us into 7th then he'll see it as job done because in his eyes we have no right to expect higher.

Any manager who comes in and starts doing well will have the Martinez effect. That first season when he had stuff to prove, so did Lukaku, so did Barkley, it was great. Then all of a sudden everyone treated us like a stepping stone, Lukaku Stones Barkley all had eyes for other places, Martinez was being touted for Arsenal or Barca. A club can't operate this way and be successful, half the squad think they're too good for the club, the other half resent the players who are only playing for themselves.

It can't help the harmony in the squad when every man and his dog knows that Koeman thinks he's too good to be here and as soon as he does anything if more he'll be off.

I really think to get back to winning, after Koeman goes (not that I'm advocating this now) we need someone 100% commited to the club. Not someone who has a dream to manage United or Barcelona or grew up in awe of Liverpool. We need someone who realises the peak of their career will becrrsurrrcting Everton, who gives out a message to the players and the media that he is here to win. We can't have another stepping stone manager who thinks he's doing us a favour. As soon as Moyes/Martinez/Koeman thought they'd proven themselves enough and that we owed them for being here they went down the pan. We need someone who recognises that it is a privilege to manage us and that they have to strive for the best all the time. I genuinely think we need someone from this parish but it could work if the right manager was out there and got taken in by us.

Great post, Dom ;)

Absolutely. I remember the days when we were regarded as an equal of the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal.

Now we're talked of in the same vein as the likes of Stoke and Birmingham.

20 to 30 years worth of lack of ambition and no investment will do that to a football club.I think in the mid 90's Arsenal only had 1 more league and 1 more FA Cup than Everton.Before they pulled well clear of us in the honours list.

id prefer him not to have been installed and gone now today.

my point about leaving him in place was solely in reference to not trusting the club to organise the follow up well. that theyd manage the situation better if at the end of his contract than if they sacked him next week. its my only concern about changing managers now.

I hear ya, Bike.

The only reason I don't want him fired today is because someone on another forum told me a couple years ago that EFC was only three bad managerial appointments away from becoming Aston Villa.

And firing the first one after about sixteen months is taking us too far down that road for comfort :(

20 to 30 years worth of lack of ambition and no investment will do that to a football club.I think in the mid 90's Arsenal only had 1 more league and 1 more FA Cup than Everton.Before they pulled well clear of us in the honours list.

Corky, before Ferguson won his first league title circa 1993, we had been champions more times than United.

Criminal the way this club was allowed to decline in the 1990s and into the millennium.

Sadly I fear that unless we have an Evertonian in charge any manager we have dill have this attitude. It's probably only Redknapp out of the current managers who recognise Everton as a significant force in football, the rest have now grown up weened on a diet of Liverpool/United/Chelsea. They are unable to tap into the psyche of the Everton supporter. Moyes was bewildered why uscfans wanted better than 5th or to win at places like Old Trafford. Koeman is the same, he thinks we're privileged just to have him and if he bores us into 7th then he'll see it as job done because in his eyes we have no right to expect higher.

Any manager who comes in and starts doing well will have the Martinez effect. That first season when he had stuff to prove, so did Lukaku, so did Barkley, it was great. Then all of a sudden everyone treated us like a stepping stone, Lukaku Stones Barkley all had eyes for other places, Martinez was being touted for Arsenal or Barca. A club can't operate this way and be successful, half the squad think they're too good for the club, the other half resent the players who are only playing for themselves.

It can't help the harmony in the squad when every man and his dog knows that Koeman thinks he's too good to be here and as soon as he does anything if more he'll be off.

I really think to get back to winning, after Koeman goes (not that I'm advocating this now) we need someone 100% commited to the club. Not someone who has a dream to manage United or Barcelona or grew up in awe of Liverpool. We need someone who realises the peak of their career will becrrsurrrcting Everton, who gives out a message to the players and the media that he is here to win. We can't have another stepping stone manager who thinks he's doing us a favour. As soon as Moyes/Martinez/Koeman thought they'd proven themselves enough and that we owed them for being here they went down the pan. We need someone who recognises that it is a privilege to manage us and that they have to strive for the best all the time. I genuinely think we need someone from this parish but it could work if the right manager was out there and got taken in by us.
Great post and this is one of the main reasons why I think we need to give Unsworth a go.

Eddie. Howe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back