Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll go Bayern when Tuchel gets found out again.

I'm not sure Tuchel will be found out rather than just go a bit mental again, but agreed Nagelsmann is more likely to just chill and carry on with his Hoffenheim project until Bayern come calling in a few years (or maybe even now).

The problem for Koeman is you need to have more than one string to your bow. When you are winning etc and the feelgood factor is about then the hard line no-nonsense managerial style will work. Now we have a situation where all players need to take a second pair of pants to the game as they are going to cack themselves at some point during the 90 minutes, you need a man-manager who can give them that encouragement to battle through and get back to their best. Koeman has not got that in his locker and i'm not sure how many times players are willing to listen if its a hard line approach, eventually which sadly seems the case, they are going to go into their shells

We have really only played well between Christmas and April, and that was a spell that included a 3rd round FA home cup exit, usual dreadful away form, and continuance of the same nothing of note against the top six away.

45 league games in and this is his second abhorrent spell, only this time with the potential to be far worse and more damaging than the first, with millions spent.

This is the thing with Koeman, you can see his sides going 10 games without a win but we would hardly see us win 5 in a row under him.

The job is a chore for him and he looks and also now sounds, completely adrift.

Given our disadvantages compared to the top sides, we badly need someone to lead us with passion and genuine enthuiasm, and create a siege mentality. That's what Royle did, and Moyes too, at least initially. Koemans mindset is that 7th is great, and we have no right to expect more. When even that looks difficult, it's time to go.

He didnt really. Well kind of.

Statistically yes this is true but it also came at the expense of other parts of the team. At the end of the day when push came to shove and we needed our defence to stand up and be counted it didn't happen.

To be fair that's not his fault either, it happened under Martinez, it happened under Moyes.

Yes. He improved our defence cos we stopped giving away cheap goals like Martinez. Overall we had an aging defence. Baines' replacement was needed and another CB since Mori was
i dont agree he improved the defence by a mile last season. he plonked two DMs in front of them and the team played more defensively. better stats were always likely.

our actual defensive unit was still not very good.

We stopped conceding 2 and 3 goals in every game like Bobby esp at Goodison which again became a tough place to come. Now you say "plonked two DMs in front of them" so clearly they did a good job and their overall play was a lot better last year two. Why are the those same two DMs play like 35 year old Phil Neville and Hamann now? They should look in the mirror now. Gana and Schnides. Gana's bite has gone, Schnides isn't himself either.

If Koeman stays (I hope he is not sacked) then very soon he will need to exclude one of them as both of them limit our forward play.

One thing Moyes did was always find a way to keep a clean sheet when we hit a bad patch. Embarrassing that Koeman can't fix this defence with the players at his disposal. The useless Williams aside.

NB. Not that I'm suggesting Moyes was better or worse overall...

Last edited:
Yes. He improved our defence cos we stopped giving away cheap goals like Martinez.

Fine, but the cheap goals came from fannying about in our own box. We didn't do that last season because we just hoofed it forward by and large.

I have always been a big believer in your defence being measured on when they are most needed and yet again they did not pass those tests.

Fine, but the cheap goals came from fannying about in our own box. We didn't do that last season because we just hoofed it forward by and large.

I have always been a big believer in your defence being measured on when they are most needed and yet again they did not pass those tests.

Absolutely.

It's why cloggers like Williams get found out for the panic hoof merchants they are.

We stopped conceding 2 and 3 goals in every game like Bobby esp at Goodison which again became a tough place to come. Now you say "plonked two DMs in front of them" so clearly they did a good job and their overall play was a lot better last year two. Why are the those same two DMs play like 35 year old Phil Neville and Hamann now? They should look in the mirror now. Gana and Schnides. Gana's bite has gone, Schnides isn't himself either.

If Koeman stays (I hope he is not sacked) then very soon he will need to exclude one of them as both of them limit our forward play.

i believe he just set us up as a more negative team where we have had a lot of players in our defensive third a lot of the time and that naturally led to less goals being conceded.

what I didnt see was the emergence of a strong intelligent defensive unit reading the game well and not giving me the shakes every time we were attacked. yes the goals conceded stat went down but I didnt ever feel last season watching the games that we had an actual good and reliable defence.

true. by being more hoofy we stamped out a good few of our goals conceded. we didnt however improve much in blocking crosses or dealing with them once we again failed to block them. all three of our regular CBs were still prone to awkward moments and mistakes.

i miss Gaz Baz in our midfield (heaven forbid)
I'm a City fan Harris and I still miss him, got rid far too early in my opion. David Silva rates him as one of the best he has played with because he covered so well for him. Out of interest, how did you rate him before he signed for Everton, seems like he's only rated when he's wearing your colours.

If you could have anyone Nymo who would you have?

Honestly mate I just don't know anymore; I don't rate many managers. I find a lot of them I do like suit only the current team they're at. Favre is good but I have doubts he could translate it over here.

I like Mancini though.

Edit: Example of what I mean - I really liked the look of Alaves last season, manager went to Southampton, he doesn't look up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back