Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all but the clueless realise that Booby was clueless.
Koeman is anything but. However, he has a somewhat brutally candid persona (opposite of the BS spouting El Coco) which, I imagine after a while, might become abrasive...especially when/if things turn south .
For now though? I'm very pleased we got Koeman. He was just what EFC needed after the ravages of El Fraudo
The only negative is he wants to go to bigger places after a while, but imo that's only going to spur him on to do better with us - if he wants to go to Barca or whatever in 3 years time, they won't take a manager who took Everton to 10th, would they? They'd want someone with success, so he'll need to be more careful, which can/should be even better for us.

And I'm aware that's not a popular opinion in any way.

The only negative is he wants to go to bigger places after a while, but imo that's only going to spur him on to do better with us - if he wants to go to Barca or whatever in 3 years time, they won't take a manager who took Everton to 10th, would they? They'd want someone with success, so he'll need to be more careful, which can/should be even better for us.

I think it's a realistic opinion

To a certain extent whilst I like Koeman a lot the seemingly high likelihood of him leaving after 2-3 years does stick in my mind a little even now. We can only enjoy the ride as best we can.

Barca can be somewhat unpredictable with appointments, such as Gerardo Martino but I think they, like most clubs, would place great stock in a former "legend" such as Koeman, becoming available. I would agree though that they are not going to go after him on the strength of a Top 6, let alone Top 10 finish with Everton.

Considering Leicesters achievement, and Koeman's relative success with Southampton, surely the benchmark for him at Everton will be group-stage Champions League qualification sometime over the course of his 3-year contract? We were the bridesmaids in 5th place several times under Moyes and that was not exactly an indicator of his managerial prowess, as Man United clearly discovered to their cost. What we badly need is a manager who can get something tangible across the line, be it a domestic cup or group-stage CL, or better, or course.

If he achieved one Top 4 finish (CL group stage) in 3 years, then (on the assumption that the bottom didn't fall out of the other two seasons, ala Martinez) I would view Koeman's time here an unqualified success. Ultimately I hope if and when he does leave, that we are stronger than when he was appointed, and back as a fixture in the Top 6/7. You can't ask for much more than that.

Under Martinez swan in at half 10 and sit down and eat your lemon drizzle cake, nothing could paint a metaphoric picture of the last two seasons under that beaut better than that.

What an absolute chancer he was, imagine if he was still here, he would be 100% had it not been for Moshiri.

This is what Barry said about last season. A terrible indictment of both Martinez and some players.

"For Barry, it was vital to restore order given the indiscipline that infected Everton’s game last season and led to Martínez’s dismissal, complete with a £10m pay-off. The veteran midfielder’s assessment of what has changed under Koeman is damning of both his former manager and team-mates, most of whom were spared the condemnation that descended on the new head coach of Belgium.

“The standards of the players were, for me, slightly slipping last season, on and off the pitch
,” the former England international said. “If standards are slipping off the pitch it can impact on your form on the pitch and the whole team was losing the level that is expected to compete at the top end of the Premier League. The manager doesn’t want to come across as some sort of headmaster but he has been quite keen to let anybody know if they go underneath the standards expected. That is good for everyone.

“Everything slipped last season, really: timekeeping, dress codes, training
. The confidence and everything had gone and things were maybe going away from what was expected. Confidence had gone on the pitch, results weren’t going the right way and there was a lot of unrest with the fans. It is easy for players sometimes to get dragged along with that and all of a sudden they are being dragged along and the standards are slipping. I think you could tell from some of the performances last season that was creeping in.”

Nothing wrong with Koeman coming in and giving the players a kick up the jacksy, they deserved it. But they are professionals and should not allow their professionalism to slip. If Barry had taken the same attitude as some of the players last season, he wouldn't have made 60 Premier league appearances never mind 600.

Koeman has got us playing winning football at the moment, brought about by high energy athleticism with a fair smattering of good football at times. Winning football is what we all want to see.

This is what Barry said about last season. A terrible indictment of both Martinez and some players.

"For Barry, it was vital to restore order given the indiscipline that infected Everton’s game last season and led to Martínez’s dismissal, complete with a £10m pay-off. The veteran midfielder’s assessment of what has changed under Koeman is damning of both his former manager and team-mates, most of whom were spared the condemnation that descended on the new head coach of Belgium.

“The standards of the players were, for me, slightly slipping last season, on and off the pitch
,” the former England international said. “If standards are slipping off the pitch it can impact on your form on the pitch and the whole team was losing the level that is expected to compete at the top end of the Premier League. The manager doesn’t want to come across as some sort of headmaster but he has been quite keen to let anybody know if they go underneath the standards expected. That is good for everyone.

“Everything slipped last season, really: timekeeping, dress codes, training
. The confidence and everything had gone and things were maybe going away from what was expected. Confidence had gone on the pitch, results weren’t going the right way and there was a lot of unrest with the fans. It is easy for players sometimes to get dragged along with that and all of a sudden they are being dragged along and the standards are slipping. I think you could tell from some of the performances last season that was creeping in.”

Nothing wrong with Koeman coming in and giving the players a kick up the jacksy, they deserved it. But they are professionals and should not allow their professionalism to slip. If Barry had taken the same attitude as some of the players last season, he wouldn't have made 60 Premier league appearances never mind 600.

Koeman has got us playing winning football at the moment, brought about by high energy athleticism with a fair smattering of good football at times. Winning football is what we all want to see.

don't underestimate the power of poor management mate. when you lose belief, focus its the job of the manager to sort that and he didn't.

don't underestimate the power of poor management mate. when you lose belief, focus its the job of the manager to sort that and he didn't.

Martinez should have sorted it out, no doubt, he should have fined them and dropped them if they were not up to the standards required. Barry, as did others, never let his professionalism slip due to 'poor management' and neither should the players have.

It appears to me that Koeman has come in and tested their professionalism and at the moment they have responded. It will be interesting to see what happens to any player who lets their professionalism drop.

Ronald Koeman unravelled: The man behind Everton's best start since 1978
EVERTON had just pulled up at their team base ahead of Ronald Koeman’s first match in charge when the clearest sign arrived that life under him was going to be different.
By PAUL JOYCE
PUBLISHED: 22:00, Mon, Sep 19, 2016
fb.png

tw.png

g-plus.png

m.png

sh.png

It was meal time at a hotel outside Barnsley where the pre-season programme was beginning, and the Dutchman expected his squad would be sitting down to eat.

As staff scurried round trying to get food on the table, Koeman’s blood pressure began to boil. He was told the delay would be two minutes. Five then elapsed and the meal still was not ready.

Roberto Martinez was not one for confrontation, preferring to shush those players willing to speak out in the dressing room following a defeat rather than allowing debate to rage.

His successor did little to disguise his unhappiness; making plain his anger and voicing his upset in a manner which confirmed to those in the vicinity the outlook was changing.

The rumpus was not for effect. Koeman is a stickler for timekeeping, insistent everything is done in a certain way, and from that moment on Everton’s players realised they would be conforming to a new set of rules.

Pre-season training had already been brought forward by three days to July 4 and 9am starts, not 10am, at Finch Farm were made compulsory. The school run was out and hard work in.

“Anyone looking for love found out it wasn’t going to be here,” said one staff member.

In isolation, it might seem a trivial episode but it was one which helped embellish the aura that Koeman exudes around Goodison Park.

It is no coincidence that Everton, in EFL Cup action against Norwich on Tuesday, have made their best start to a season since 1978.

The approach is hardline, but underpinned by honesty which ensures his players know exactly where they stand when the dressing room felt there was too much cloak-and-dagger towards the end of Martinez’s reign.

This was not always the case.

When Martinez pushed the responsibility for gym work, and recovery sessions, onto his players it was initially embraced as a manager putting his trust in his charges.

When apathy set in, however, the practice was open to abuse. Corners were cut. There are no such loopholes under Koeman. Everything is done as a group, instilling a sense of team-work rather than promoting the individual.

Everton’s matchday routine has changed markedly.

For a home game, the squad is expected to arrive at 11.30am for a 3pm kick-off and be sitting down together at 12 noon for a meal in the players’ lounge at Goodison Park. Previously they ate at Finch Farm.

An in-depth team meeting then follows for the starting XI and the substitutes. Those not in the 18-man squad are excluded.

The amount of people milling around the tunnel on match-days is also now kept to a minimum which is a theme continued at the training ground. Where previously a dressing room overflowed with support staff, so Koeman has cleared it out ensuring only his technical staff – such as brother, Erwin, Jan Kluitenberg, Duncan Ferguson, David Unsworth, John Ebbrell and goalkeeping coach Patrick Lodewijks – get changed together now.

It may have felt harsh to those who had grown accustomed to life in the bosom of the first team, but it serves merely as a reflection of Koeman’s clinical attitude.

He is a man who keeps conversation to a minimum – lunch is served when he says “buon appetito” and no one eats before then – with Erwin more hands-on during training which is shorter but more intense. Everton look fitter, Koeman has estimated the players have lost around 8lbs on last season, although that may also be due to fitness coach Kluitenberg banning the homemade lemon drizzle cake that was favourite in the canteen.

There is a sense that Koeman is a coach who comes alive on matchday and he is not someone who lives and breathes Everton in the same way as David Moyes and Martinez did.

His Aston Martin is more likely to be found leaving the training ground at nearer to 4pm than 8pm.

Days off are sacrosanct. Last week he went mountain biking with Kluitenberg, but Koeman’s love of golf means he considered staying at Formby Hall, about 30 minutes from Finch Farm, when he first arrived at the club in June only for the venue, popular for weddings, to be deemed too busy. He is now living in Alderley Edge in Cheshire with Erwin, in contrast, residing in Liverpool city centre.

How long Koeman remains at Goodison Park remains to be seen. The ambition fuelled during stellar playing career can be seen in his eyes, yet he is proving to be exactly what Everton needed.

A manager whose tactical acumen and willingness to make changes turns defeats into wins, draws into victories, and whose plain speaking is an antidote to the sunny-side-up appraisals of his predecessor.

The sight of the Premier League table, and the buzz around Goodison, shows Everton are enjoying less words and more action.

@davek
Lemon fking drizzle cake in the player's canteen.

Nice one Roberto ffs.

Martinez should have sorted it out, no doubt, he should have fined them and dropped them if they were not up to the standards required. Barry, as did others, never let his professionalism slip due to 'poor management' and neither should the players have.

It appears to me that Koeman has come in and tested their professionalism and at the moment they have responded. It will be interesting to see what happens to any player who lets their professionalism drop.
Fining and dropping players won't resolve anything in the situation we were in last season. A change of management would

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back