Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we've already surrendered in one of these competitions and the white flag was raised by our manager in picking a reserve team, not taking any control during the match and making Martinez-esque substitutions.
Why didn't he tell the fans to not bother turning up last night?
The team put out last night was good enough to win that game, I would agree if we had thrown a load of kids out.
It is dissapointing to go out so early and escpecially when it was a game that should of been straightforward.
Looking at RK as a manager I don't think he will take any game lightly and I don't think he would surrender games, he appears very much a man who wants his team to win and give good performances.
Dissapointing we are out, but these things happen...as mentioned we have a good test of character this coming weekend

Been very impressed with Koeman so far. However, he made a mistake in the transfer window by only bringing in Valencia as back up for Lukaku. There may be more to it, but I don't know why we weren't looking at players like Bony on loan or Ighalo from Watford. Both capable of scoring 10+ a season.

He didn't seem particularly arsed in the post match interview last night, neither did Coleman really.

Think the feeling is that, whilst it's obviously not great at all that we've lost at home to a Championship side, it isn't the end of the world, 'let's just get back to getting the results in the league.'

That said, concerning how many chances we had to bag last night and loads of players just didn't show any composure whatsoever. With no Lukaku we don't half make scoring goals seem like a chore.

He never once used that word in reference to Martinez. The search facility on this forum is utterly ace.
Oh, look. Here's me on Martinez when he led us to LC defeat against Fulham a couple of season's back:

Well Martinez has learned from that that you cant make wholesale changes to this team because we are what we are: a poorly funded club who have limited quality, despite all the talk about 17 and 18 strong first team players he came out with pre-game.

He gambled that they could see off an experienced PL outfit like Fulham and it blew up on him.

He was wrong. And you are too: the LC is well worth wining. It's a prestigious domestic trophy.

Correct. Team game. I dont care about individual performances that produce **** all.

He needs a word in his ear.

Gibson should have been hauled off at HT. The warning signs were there in the first half and we needed authority in that area. Martinez stood on a principle of giving him more game time though...as he did with a flagging Deulofeu....and we paid the penalty for that.

Gutted at that loss. It was so avoidable. And now there's unnecessary huge pressure on us to get that win against Newcastle at home because the perception is that we sacrificed that game last night to keep players fresh for it.

There was, and it is down to the wastefulness in the first half we didn't win this. But Martinez could see the sea change in the game and tried to ride it out rather than adapt early by making changes.

This was all avoidable.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...ay-24th-sept-20-00.60658/page-76#post-2251136

Looks like I was way more objective about Martinez than you'll ever be about Koeman.

...something to bear in mind when you're next snooping in the vaults.

He didn't seem particularly arsed in the post match interview last night, neither did Coleman really.

Think the feeling is that, whilst it's obviously not great at all that we've lost at home to a Championship side, it isn't the end of the world, 'let's just get back to getting the results in the league.'

That said, concerning how many chances we had to bag last night and loads of players just didn't show any composure whatsoever. With no Lukaku we don't half make scoring goals seem like a chore.
No, it's not the end of the world. It's just half our chance to win a trophy gone in one fell swoop when we had a golden opportunity to progress into the next round.

Now the pressure really gets ramped up on the FA Cup campaign. And the momentum built in the PL is under scrutiny now.

That's the damage done here.

No, it's not the end of the world. It's just half our chance to win a trophy gone in one fell swoop when we had a golden opportunity to progress into the next round.

Now the pressure really gets ramped up on the FA Cup campaign. And the momentum built in the PL is under scrutiny now.

That's the damage done here.
It's a domestic competition we've NEVER won, and should be prioritised as such. Disappointed. Don't think PL form will be affected (well I should hope not, unless Lukaku is injured)

We're no games from Wembley because we went out. You have to stay in it to win it.

I thought wembley was a big thing for you? You made quite an issue of it last season. We were only one game from wembley in the 3 handled p1sspot, and we were actually there for the FAC (semi).

And yet we ended up as far away from lifting the p1sspot then as are now...

re-establishing us as a top 6 club this season is miles more important than winning any cup IMHO. This is what he is tasked with. a trophy can wait another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back