Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he wanted desperately to go out why didn't he jus put all the kids out...

Where did I say he desperately wanted to go out? He put a lot of fringe players out there and they didn't perform, he seemed to want to stick with them. Whether he had a lot of faith in them or he didn't want to play the likes of Barry I don't know. What I would say is he has made changes before half time and on half time already and chose the 70th minute last night.

Maybe he is putting all his eggs in one basket to go for the Champions League?

Where did I say he desperately wanted to go out? He put a lot of fringe players out there and they didn't perform, he seemed to want to stick with them. Whether he had a lot of faith in them or he didn't want to play the likes of Barry I don't know. What I would say is he has made changes before half time and on half time already and chose the 70th minute last night.

Maybe he is putting all his eggs in one basket to go for the Champions League?
I hope he isn't as we need silverware.....

I'd normally agree with you but I think that if we are to really change under this new ownership, and the proof of that is still to come, then we have to improve in the league before anything else. I'd be saying that whoever the manager was. If this really is the "project" some people talk about then it has to be more long term and it has to start with us being in that Europa bracket of 6th to 8th to start with.
You get into Europe by winning domestic cups too.

In a European-less season the domestic cups can be managed quite comfortably.

If there's ever anything designed to get on Evertonian's nerves than not taking our two chances of success per season seriously I dont know what it is. Every season we have to go full pelt in these and give it everything.

What's that now since we last won a cup - 23 attempts at winning either of them and making a final and three SFs?

Pathetic for a club of this size.

If there's ever anything designed to get on Evertonian's nerves than not taking our two chances of success per season seriously I dont know what it is. Every season we have to go full pelt in these and give it everything.

What's that now since we last won a cup - 23 attempts at winning either of them and making a final and three SFs?

5 SFs and 1 Final David.

I am a little more optimistic than you, i think we will finish between 5th and 8th

None of those places are success though. If we get 5th or 6th it'll be very encouraging. But some of the tat that's finished 7th and 8th in seasons past underline just how little an achievement it'd be.

He might see the LC or FA Cup as a nuisance but we cant afford that.

The way some talk of this manager in terms of "he wont be with us long and he'll do things his way" completely puzzles me. There seems to be some huge assumption behind it that he's just resting up here a couple of seasons waiting until Luis Enrique moves on from Barcelona.

He's miles off that and he has to prove he's worthy of being our manager.
Agreed. Like in any walk of life, you are only as good as your last job. If he does have grandiose ambitions, then he will want to make a good impression here and not sit around waiting like some privileged kid awaiting his entitlement. In other words, if Everton is his stepping stone, then he had better make sure it doesn't sink.

Then his priorities are not ours.
His priorities should be ours.

I supported RM until almost the very end. Incorrectly so.
Seeing Koeman operate it is clear that he is on a different level completely. He reminds me in some ways of Alex Ferguson.
There is no doubt who is in charge at the club, the players certainly understand by now what is expected of them and if they cannot deliver then they should go elsewhere.
I think that we will see a number of players leaving the club in the next two or three windows. Sadly , I think we may also see some younger players leave as the manager decides they are not of the standard required.

In time, I think we will see that the standard he requires is very high.
Since Harry Catterick I don't remember another manager anything like Koeman. Even, the great Howard Kendall seemed to manage in a very different way. He seemed to be more part of the group less aloof and having assembled his players he turned them into a tight unit.

I am not sure if it is possible to do that now with such large number in the squad. The evolution under Koeman(if he stays long enough) will be interesting , January will be interesting as I don't think Koeman like failure and there certainly were failures in the last window..the next will be worth watching to see if things are done in a different way.

I agree with you, our cup runs have been pathetic for years, and they've been made worse by us cacking ourselves in every game at Wembley apart for the United semi since 95. We should all be desperate to win something.

I'm just saying that if this is the long term project that some say, and we won't know for some time yet, then the league this season will definitely be the priority for everyone at the club. Getting into the Europa by winning the league cup and finishing 11th won't attract the same calibre of players as finishing 5th and looking like you can challenge for top 4 the next season. Sad but true.

His priorities should be ours.

I supported RM until almost the very end. Incorrectly so.
Seeing Koeman operate it is clear that he is on a different level completely. He reminds me in some ways of Alex Ferguson.
There is no doubt who is in charge at the club, the players certainly understand by now what is expected of them and if they cannot deliver then they should go elsewhere.
I think that we will see a number of players leaving the club in the next two or three windows. Sadly , I think we may also see some younger players leave as the manager decides they are not of the standard required.

In time, I think we will see that the standard he requires is very high.
Since Harry Catterick I don't remember another manager anything like Koeman. Even, the great Howard Kendall seemed to manage in a very different way. He seemed to be more part of the group less aloof and having assembled his players he turned them into a tight unit.

I am not sure if it is possible to do that now with such large number in the squad. The evolution under Koeman(if he stays long enough) will be interesting , January will be interesting as I don't think Koeman like failure and there certainly were failures in the last window..the next will be worth watching to see if things are done in a different way.
Honestly, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with your claims for Koeman. His managerial career thus far is not all that. He's yet to demonstrate he can match what Martinez did here and you seem to be emphatic on the strength of 5 PL games that he's undoubtedly a cut above that and rubbing shoulders with SAF!! Let's just wait and see how he fares over a season for a kick off.

Honestly, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with your claims for Koeman. His managerial career thus far is not all that. He's yet to demonstrate he can match what Martinez did here and you seem to be emphatic on the strength of 5 PL games that he's undoubtedly a cut above that and rubbing shoulders with SAF!! Let's just wait and see how he fares over a season for a kick off.
You seem to be desperate to dig him out after 5 games, when you were celebrating 0-0 draws away at Cardiff under Martinez.

No consistency in your approach at all. Embarrassing.

None of those places are success though. If we get 5th or 6th it'll be very encouraging. But some of the tat that's finished 7th and 8th in seasons past underline just how little an achievement it'd be.
I personally think we should go for everything.....I have said countless times silverware is what we need.

My optimism over 5th is more born out of us at some point challenging the top 4, if we can do that we are making progress. The downside is this Prem is getting harder and harder, even with Moshri's money we still fall behind 5 or 6 clubs. I think if we can get EL football it will be a good starting point, but guess we have blown one chance..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back