Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I'd swerve all the talk of off field 'game changers' and 'new dawns'. I'll treat it as bollocks until I'm proven wrong: the best policy to adopt with this club and its various owners' tall stories.

We should bust a gut to put a trophy in the cabinet every season and prioritise that, imo.

I dont know, maybe that's old fashioned now in this era. But personally I could give a flying one about the sooper dooper soaraway Sky arse licking Premier League.

Forget the EFL (Or whatever it'll be called next week) that's a loada shabbite. Look at the irrelevant teams that have won it in the last 15-20yrs - as well as those made the final. It's an irrelevance.

The FAC'd be nice, it carries a bit more sway. But then again, unless you're there or thereabouts season on season, it's value isn't the same as it once was. Unless we did an arsenal and got to two finals on the bounce, and maintained a competitive record in it - which is unlikely at the moment - then I'm afraid a league placing's our priority.

Look what making a final's done for wigan, villa, stoke & hull.....Not a lot.

But look what a CL spec did for tottenham...Before kidnap took them to 4th, they were an irrelevance. Two league cups in 10 years or so did nowt for them.

In essence we should be going for a CL spec and pushing on from that. Trophies have a better chance of following with the rewards & assorted other benefits that follow from a CL spec.

Koeman has had a very long career in management. It's been a mixed bag to be kind to him. He's not the new young whizz kid come along to show football where it's going wrong.

It's all our hope that he finds his home here at Everton and that he's a good fit for us and us for him and he manages to get his nose out in front of the best performances we've had in the past couple of decades. If he does that then job done. My point is that he's going to have to produce big time here to do that - bigger than he's done elsewhere.

image.webp

image.webp

Forget the EFL (Or whatever it'll be called next week) that's a loada shabbite. Look at the irrelevant teams that have won it in the last 15-20yrs - as well as those made the final. It's an irrelevance.

The FAC'd be nice, it carries a bit more sway. But then again, unless you're there or thereabouts season on season, it's value isn't the same as it once was. Unless we did an arsenal and got to two finals on the bounce, and maintained a competitive record in it - which is unlikely at the moment - then I'm afraid a league placing's our priority.

Look what making a final's done for wigan, villa, stoke & hull.....Not a lot.

But look what a CL spec did for tottenham...Before kidnap took them to 4th, they were an irrelevance. Two league cups in 10 years or so did nowt for them.

In essence we should be going for a CL spec and pushing on from that. Trophies have a better chance of following with the rewards & assorted other benefits that follow from a CL spec.
You're looking at winning trophies as being instrumental for other ends. I'm not. I'm seeing them for what they are: a joyous event in a successful club's history that add another chapter to it.

I'm not viewing them as money spinners or boosters of profile for some non-existent mass north american or asian market.

Whatever happened to just seeing it as great honour to see your team win silver trophies and run round Wembley with them?

You're looking at winning trophies as being instrumental for other ends. I'm not. I'm seeing them for what they are: a joyous event in a successful club's history that add another chapter to it.

I'm not viewing them as money spinners or boosters of profile for some non-existent mass north american or asian market.

Whatever happened to just seeing it as great honour to see your team win silver trophies and run round Wembley with them?

David, do top players bring a far better chance of success?

Yes.

Do top players all want CL footy?

Yes.

Does the FAC or efl bring CL footy?

No.

Honestly, I think you're getting ahead of yourself with your claims for Koeman. His managerial career thus far is not all that. He's yet to demonstrate he can match what Martinez did here and you seem to be emphatic on the strength of 5 PL games that he's undoubtedly a cut above that and rubbing shoulders with SAF!! Let's just wait and see how he fares over a season for a kick off.

Haha but we know for a fact he'd finish well above 11th

David, do top players bring a far better chance of success?

Yes.

Do top players all want CL footy?

Yes.

Does the FAC or efl bring CL footy?

No.
We'll only get CL football by major investment in the squad...and I wouldn't hold my breath for this new feller to tip up the hundreds of millions needed for it.

You're kidding yourself if you think 'good coaching' is going to get it on our resources. You saw last night how threadbare we are when Lukaku is out - Norwich buried us!

We'll only get CL football by major investment in the squad...and I wouldn't hold my breath for this new feller to tip up the hundreds of millions needed for it.

You're kidding yourself if you think 'good coaching' is going to get it on our resources. You saw last night how threadbare we are when Lukaku is out.

Moylez's Everton didn't spend £millions (OK we didn't qualify for the moolah games - but if we had???)

Leicester. £50m and actually won t'league, so it's possible without money - but it simply must have taken good coaching to do so. That CL spec will do more for that club than their FL cup win ever did.

You were the biggest extoller of martinez and his 72pts - and how it was desperately unlucky not to qualify for the CL. So shouldn't THAT be the target to aspire to above the others?

You're kidding yourself if you think 'good coaching' is going to get it on our resources. You saw last night how threadbare we are when Lukaku is out - Norwich buried us!

....I think it would take a massive leap of faith to believe we can go from where we were at the end of last season to a Champions League position this time around. Other than the 2nd half against Sunderland I haven't been overly impressed but we have got results from games we didn't last time around. The test will come with more difficult fixtures but I think we are already better organised defensively and i like the way RK manages in an uncomplicated fashion.

It will take time and investment to bring the types of players RK wants but for this season we shouldn't expect too much other than a marked improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back