Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cup win should be viewed as a stand alone event, not an enabler. I dont care about that. We need trophies as a club of standing in the game to remain a club of standing.

And consistency in the PL: for what exactly? What does that achieve? We know what because we've been there and seen it - it gets you nothing. We have a backer now, so no need to attract one in as long as he makes good on his promises. We're not getting a shiek or oligarch. So what's the purpose of hitting top 6/7 time after time?
Wigan win a cup under Martinez. It did nothing to improve their standing as a club. Its about consistent league position and challenging for Europe. That's the mark of a club of standing in modern era.

Put silverware in the cabinet
Good starting point for me

For that season - and that season alone.

Sure - a cup win'd be great. But not a one off with the same mid-table mediocrity (Or worse - like the teams mentioned)

It's about finances and revenues these days, whether we like it or not. CL's where the dough's at. Dough brings sustainable/sustained, along with greater chances and greater degrees of success.

Wigan win a cup under Martinez. It did nothing to improve their standing as a club. Its about consistent league position and challenging for Europe. That's the mark of a club of standing in modern era.
It put that town on the map. All they were known for before that was pea wet and scraps chip dinners.

What's this if we lose a few players we are screwed nonsense. Can we not just lose a game of football and move on. We picked a completely new team, so did Norwich it was a freak result. Let's move on.

COYB

...to be consistently in a CL spot and comfortable in that group of teams they are the numbers: 76-80 points.

Yes, it can be done with less.

Weird though, thinking about it.

Already this season, (yeah 5 games etc etc), but United look bang average. Chelsea too. Spurs have been ok, but Kane now out, the new pretenders, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke, woeful.

Liverpool have a good start, but look like an injury hit mob in the new year to me. Arsenal? Flip a coin.

City look superb. They did after 5 games last season.

Leicester look ok in spurts, CL mainly, and again, flip a coin. Could finish 10th but get a CL semi.

Interesting times we live in.

It put that town on the map. All they were known for before that was pea wet and scraps chip dinners.

We shouldn't down play winning the cup because it's their first trophy so it's brilliant for them, however this is the town that had a rugby team that were basically Rangers and Celtic all rolled into one. I think that put the town on the map already ;)

Does the FAC or efl bring CL footy?

No.

Well, it can do.

And this is the point all those people who disdain a Cup win seem to forget.

Winning one of those Cups get you into the EL.

Winning that competition brings a CL place.

Now, I personally think we would have a better chance of making the CL next season if we were in the Europa League this season because I think we would stand a better chance of winning that than finishing in the top four.

Plus qualifying for the CL through a barnstorming EL campaign which took us all over Europe would be a heck of a lot more exciting than winning the 4th, 3rd or even 2nd place trophy.

But that's just me :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back