Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, of course we should go for everything, it's what an ambitious club should aspire to, but I have to disagree with you about where the priority should lie. The PL has to be the focus, plain and simple. The PL is all about consistency, whereas in a cup run, you are just one bad game away from oblivion. A good run in the cup gets you nothing unless you actually win the damned thing, and even then, it offers little attraction to the top players hunting for glory. The league is more forgiving, and actually measures a team more accurately than a lucky journey to Wembley.

Players who we want to be signing don't care about us winning the League Cup or FA Cup, they simply care about wages and European Football.

Now, the LC is a good route in to the Europa League, a back door of such, but can really hamper a season with games building up, especially midweek. Being out of that early can give you an advantage on your Arsenal's and Spurs who are competing on 3/4 fronts - 2 Midweek competitions (LC and European) and still trying to achieve the highest position possible in the League on the weekend.

Is it disappointing to go out of a very winnable competition? Very much so, especially in the manner in which we went out.
Is it the end of the world? Absolutely not.

Moylez's Everton didn't spend £millions (OK we didn't qualify for the moolah games - but if we had???)
Leicester. £50m and actually won t'league, so it's possible without money - but it simply must have taken good coaching to do so. That CL spec will do more for that club than their FL cup win ever did.
You were the biggest extoller of martinez and his 72pts - and how it was desperately unlucky not to qualify for the CL. So shouldn't THAT be the target to aspire to above the others?
That's EXACTLY why it was important to underline it: it was a massive total and still made no impact on the top four places. You aren't guaranteed one even with that. We have to have a team that can consistently hit 76-80 points per season. As for Moyes: 61 points for 4th place that season was a complete freak.

There's no short cut.

Dave, of course we should go for everything, it's what an ambitious club should aspire to, but I have to disagree with you about where the priority should lie. The PL has to be the focus, plain and simple. The PL is all about consistency, whereas in a cup run, you are just one bad game away from oblivion. A good run in the cup gets you nothing unless you actually win the damned thing, and even then, it offers little attraction to the top players hunting for glory. The league is more forgiving, and actually measures a team more accurately than a lucky journey to Wembley.
A cup win should be viewed as a stand alone event, not an enabler. I dont care about that. We need trophies as a club of standing in the game to remain a club of standing.

And consistency in the PL: for what exactly? What does that achieve? We know what because we've been there and seen it - it gets you nothing. We have a backer now, so no need to attract one in as long as he makes good on his promises. We're not getting a shiek or oligarch. So what's the purpose of hitting top 6/7 time after time?

....I think it would take a massive leap of faith to believe we can go from where we were at the end of last season to a Champions League position this time around. Other than the 2nd half against Sunderland I haven't been overly impressed but we have got results from games we didn't last time around. The test will come with more difficult fixtures but I think we are already better organised defensively and i like the way RK manages in an uncomplicated fashion.

It will take time and investment to bring the types of players RK wants but for this season we shouldn't expect too much other than a marked improvement.
...we shouldn't expect too much any season thereafter either. If we do well this season (5th/6th/7th) then there's no reason for it to be added to incrementally season on season with good coaching and all the cash there is will be tied up with a stadium to fund...apparently.

I really think people should look at the PL possibilities for us and not get too carried away.

A cup win should be viewed as a stand alone event, not an enabler. I dont care about that. We need trophies as a club of standing in the game to remain a club of standing.

And consistency in the PL: for what exactly? What does that achieve? We know what because we've been there and seen it - it gets you nothing. We have a backer now, so no need to attract one in as long as he makes good on his promises. We're not getting a shiek or oligarch. So what's the purpose of hitting top 6/7 time after time?

For me this season is all about a top 4 finish, ideally winning the whole thing, and getting confirmation of a state of the art waterfront stadium.

No more treading water.

That's EXACTLY why it was important to underline it: it was a massive total and still made no impact on the top four places. You aren't guaranteed one even with that. We have to have a team that can consistently hit 76-80 points per season. As for Moyes: 61 points for 4th place that season was a complete freak.

There's no short cut.

71.4 is the average points to make Champs League over the last five years. 76-80 is way above the average.

It is a bit weird how quickly people have deified this man as a brilliant manager.

He got Southampton to Europa. He did some stuff in the Netherlands...which...who cares? He won the Copa Del Rey with Valencia, and then promptly turned to poo. He was mediocre at Benfica. Yet some act like he's the second coming of 2004 Mourinho.

The parallels with people seeing Martinez as some sort of saviour are eerie, but at least that attitude came after Martinez had a great season rather than after 7 competitive matches.

I think he's a solid manager, and obviously his attitude is what some of our players need right now. But for now, I'll stay comfortably on the fence.

That said, I don't care about the League Cup until the later rounds. I always assume we're going to go out early and ignominiously.

What does that achieve? We know what because we've been there and seen it - it gets you nothing.

What did the FL cup achieve for tottenham that 4th place and CL qualification didn't surpass exponentially?

What did the FAC do for Wigan?

What did the FLC do for Blagburn? Swansea? When did they kick on after winning them?

It is a bit weird how quickly people have deified this man as a brilliant manager.

He got Southampton to Europa. He did some stuff in the Netherlands...which...who cares? He won the Copa Del Rey with Valencia, and then promptly turned to poo. He was mediocre at Benfica. Yet some act like he's the second coming of 2004 Mourinho.

The parallels with people seeing Martinez as some sort of saviour are eerie, but at least that attitude came after Martinez had a great season rather than after 7 competitive matches.

I think he's a solid manager, and obviously his attitude is what some of our players need right now. But for now, I'll stay comfortably on the fence.

That said, I don't care about the League Cup until the later rounds. I always assume we're going to go out early and ignominiously.

Think folk are just happy seeing a decent start, and the issues on the pitch being addressed mate. Fitness for example.

The football has been ok, with some good stuff, and little rubbish stuff.

Work in progress.

Think folk are just happy seeing a decent start, and the issues on the pitch being addressed mate. Fitness for example.

The football has been ok, with some good stuff, and little rubbish stuff.

Work in progress.
Oh I totally agree with that measured view. Koeman is what we needed right now.

But I'm just not getting the love in. He's doing ok so far, and it's a hell of a lot better than last season (the end of Martinez was basically unwatchable). I'm just suggesting that people are getting way, way, way ahead of themselves. Martinez should have taught us that a new manager bounce isn't indicative of long term success.

Oh I totally agree with that measured view. Koeman is what we needed right now.

But I'm just not getting the love in. He's doing ok so far, and it's a hell of a lot better than last season (the end of Martinez was basically unwatchable). I'm just suggesting that people are getting way, way, way ahead of themselves. Martinez should have taught us that a new manager bounce isn't indicative of long term success.

Agree. Havnt seen much Koeman groupie behaviour, and what I have, I have put down to either beer, or humour. Probably both.

Pretty staid bunch Evertonians are, by and large.

Yes, we could be consistently mediocre (been there, done that), we could be consistently bad (been there, done that). Are you saying there is no way we will ever be consistently good again (yes, we have been there and done that too)?

If, as you suggest, the PL is divided between the haves and have nots, then maybe we need another league. Let the filthy rich play amongst themselves, while we all engage in a fair and evenly shared gentlemanly competition... oh wait, isn't this how we got in this state in the first place?

I would sooner fight them than give in. If Leicester was a fluke, then so what? It's the chance that we could be the next fluke that makes it all worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back