Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
a barnstorming EL campaign which took us all over Europe would be a heck of a lot more exciting than winning the 4th, 3rd or even 2nd place troph

That was terrific fun, I have to say. Even from Mod Central, it was ace seeing the trips take place, even if we came up short.

And that lad who booked a flight to somewhere for £20 when we were playing the home leg that night was a classic.

Well, it can do.

And this is the point all those people who disdain a Cup win seem to forget.

Winning one of those Cups get you into the EL.

Winning that competition brings a CL place.

Now, I personally think we would have a better chance of making the CL next season if we were in the Europa League this season because I think we would stand a better chance of winning that than finishing in the top four.

Plus qualifying for the CL through a barnstorming EL campaign which took us all over Europe would be a heck of a lot more exciting than winning the 4th, 3rd or even 2nd place trophy.

But that's just me :blush:

And that's fair enough, mate. For me the EL is the inferior competition in the same way the EFL is....and the FAC is when compared to the league.

Don't forget winning the league as well as getting 2/3/4 gets you CL. Being runners up in a cup gets you diddly - the same as if you go out before the final.

Remember when the board were crying because they only copped for £440k for the EL run that ended against fiorentina? Remember how they said they'd have collected almost 100x that for a similar CL run?

Top players aren't arsed about the europa while there's the CL. Your chances of even a minor trophy are diminished without top players.

And that's fair enough, mate. For me the EL is the inferior competition in the same way the EFL is....and the FAC is when compared to the league.

Don't forget winning the league as well as getting 2/3/4 gets you CL. Being runners up in a cup gets you diddly - the same as if you go out before the final.

Remember when the board were crying because they only copped for £440k for the EL run that ended against fiorentina? Remember how they said they'd have collected almost 100x that for a similar CL run?

Top players aren't arsed about the europa while there's the CL. Your chances of even a minor trophy are diminished without top players.

Which is all beside the point, Dixie.

I was merely pointing out to you that winning one of the domestic cups is indeed a route, albeit circuitous, to the CL ;)

We've finished in the bottom half of the league for 2 seasons running and it affected our ability to recruit at the level we were trying to this summer

Of course the league is our priority this year, anyone suggesting otherwise is in dreamland

That doesn't mean we should ignore the cups, and last night was a disappointing defeat, but our primary objective is to get the club back up competing with the cream of the best league on the planet.

Disappointing loss, but I couldn't care less for this cup this year. Our priority must be to establish themselves in the top half of the table and we started nicely. I never expected us to win the thing, so what's the difference if we get knocked out in the first round or quarterfinal?

Keep focus on the league, lay the solid foundations and then we can start to worry about winning trophies. Right now we don't even have a proper squad to play on three fronts.

For that season - and that season alone.

Sure - a cup win'd be great. But not a one off with the same mid-table mediocrity (Or worse - like the teams mentioned)

It's about finances and revenues these days, whether we like it or not. CL's where the dough's at. Dough brings sustainable/sustained, along with greater chances and greater degrees of success.
I want silverware....
Then I want to build on that success, hopefully means stepping into Europe but with a stronger squad and better run club.
It takes time and expecting things quickly is putting to much expectation on what we can actually achieve.

Not disagreeing, but maybe just want it a slightly different way...

Disappointing loss, but I couldn't care less for this cup this year. Our priority must be to establish themselves in the top half of the table and we started nicely. I never expected us to win the thing, so what's the difference if we get knocked out in the first round or quarterfinal?

Keep focus on the league, lay the solid foundations and then we can start to worry about winning trophies. Right now we don't even have a proper squad to play on three fronts.
Yeah, it's not like we haven't won a trophy for 21 years.

We've finished in the bottom half of the league for 2 seasons running and it affected our ability to recruit at the level we were trying to this summer

Of course the league is our priority this year, anyone suggesting otherwise is in dreamland

That doesn't mean we should ignore the cups, and last night was a disappointing defeat, but our primary objective is to get the club back up competing with the cream of the best league on the planet.

I've keep off GOT today as I'm still fuming at the lackluster performance from last night.. but I did catch Koemans post match comments and he seemed far from upset. Said he was disappointed but he didn't seem overly bothered to me - which was surprising.

Utter nonsense.

Putting phantom bids in for players "affected our ability to recruit at the highest level".

You've really drank a massive cup of Kool Aid from Uncle Farhad's big bottle.

I want us to sign Messi, just to see how you would spin it, im thinking you would go with the falklands angle?
We nearly had Messi in the bag this summer I heard. We just missed out when his agent started playing silly buggers on wages and stuff. True story.

We nearly had Messi in the bag this summer I heard. We just missed out when his agent started playing silly buggers on wages and stuff. True story.
Didn't he want 10 million over the next 3 years to do nothing, and he promised if given the chance he would be getting us relegated. Perhaps i'm mistaken and that was someone else i'm referring to

Yeah, let's strive to finish 4th so we can enter a competition the following season that we'd have zero chance of winning, and would probably bad-mouth it as fixture congestion into the bargain.

Football is all about winning shiny silver pots. We have absolutely no chance of ever winning the CL, nor would I proffer that we should be xoectong to win the league title (Leicester were a one-off, let's be honest).

Finishing in a CL or EL qualifying spot doesn't appear on the Roll of Honours: a League Cup win does.

And anyone who was there in Rotterdam or at Wembley to see us lift silverware - and then go on a massive 48-hour bender to celebrate - wouldn't swap that for a 4th placed finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back