Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interesting to see if we would have signed Gueye if we had bought witsel. The form of Gana made me forget about the central midfield being a priority in the summer. Forget the price tag, although they are different types of player, I highly doubt witsel could have played better or influenced games to the extent Gana has and to be honest I do rate witsel.
Witsel was probably either cover or a replacement for Barry.

He never struck me as a Gana type player and for Belgium normally played alongside a box to box midfielder.

Shame he will go to Juve for sure now even just to warm their bench.

Way to avoid the specific example given, where the manager of the players current club confirmed both the offer and the players rejection of our advances.

That's what 2 seasons in the bottom half of the table does for how you're perceived in the game David.
I didn't address it because it was part of fantasy player and manager bingo that took hold like a fever...all of which came to nought.

Yeah, it's not like we haven't won a trophy for 21 years.
It's not like we went out at a later point. We got put out early which while obviously a disappointment in does have the advantage of less games and until we get cover for Rom, Jags, Williams and Barry that suits me.

So, I maybe missed this, but you're saying the Witsel bid was a "phantom" bid? Or it wasn't?
Even if it wasn't, why did we not have someone else lined up?

And Witsel was 30m, what happened to the other 70m. Anyway it's done now. Until he spends I will take any "the money is there" with a grain of salt.

So, I maybe missed this, but you're saying the Witsel bid was a "phantom" bid? Or it wasn't?

They're bids that are never going to happen imo. I think we all knew deep down that bringing Mourinho and Mata and Witsel were pipe dreams. I'm not denying work went into them, there possibly was...and a lot. But they never seemed to reside in the serious prospect column for me. Maybe they did for you. I know what I know: we went all summer and made £3M on transfers. It's probably best to just stick with hard numbers.

I didn't address it because it was part of fantasy player and manager bingo that took hold like a fever...all of which came to nought.
'Fantasy' aside from the FACT that the players agent and club manager confirmed the bid and that the player had rejected our advances.

I suppose they were all in on the Moshiri 'conspiracy' eh David......

They're bids that are never going to happen imo. I think we all knew deep down that bringing Mourinho and Mata and Witsel were pipe dreams. I'm not denying work went into them, there possibly was...and a lot. But they never seemed to reside in the serious prospect column for me. Maybe they did for you. I know what I know: we went all summer and made £3M on transfers. It's probably best to just stick with hard numbers.

Both Mata and Witsel are certainly attainable IMO.

Wouldn't want either.

'Fantasy' aside from the FACT that the players agent and club manager confirmed the bid and that the player had rejected our advances.

I suppose they were all in on the Moshiri 'conspiracy' eh David......
Look, all I'm saying is that players of that notoriety (I wouldn't say calibre even for Witsel because I dont rate him...he's well overhyped) are going to play the field and keep clubs like ours on a piece of string as back up. That's all.

Not exactly an outrageous p.o.v.

Even if it wasn't, why did we not have someone else lined up?

And Witsel was 30m, what happened to the other 70m. Anyway it's done now. Until he spends I will take any "the money is there" with a grain of salt.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but we signed Gueye

The Gueye deal was done quite a way after the initial Witsel reports

How do we know he wasn't the one we lined up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back