Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it's clear he wants every single player to consistently provide the mix of hard work and talent. Players make a fortune, he wants them to earn it. Barkley, Deulofeu and Mirallas might have the talent but perhaps are not busy enough, Cleverly and Lennon are busy but perhaps not good enough.

There are no passengers in a RK team. Under RM our defensive midfielders rarely crossed the half way line, RK wants more from them. Under RM Barkley had little or no responsibility when the opposition had the ball, under RK nobody has a free ride.

I love Koeman.
He's the man.
koeman-guardiola-enfrentaron-por-primera-vez-premier-league-1476544057510.jpg

No I'm happy as anything, went to city, setup perfectly, got a point.

Don't let the facts get in the way fella

I'll tell you a good fact about football, if you attack you score goals, that gives you a chance of winning, having absolutely no intention of attacking means you get a point at most.

I'm not into watching us get pummelled for 90 in the hope of snatching a draw. That's not football and everyone on here slates the hell out of Pulis for playing that way.

Yes, we'd have been '3-0 down'.

We played City four times last season: lost the first, won the second, drew the third and lost the fourth.

We drew 0-0 in this fixture last season and we at least made a game of it.

Hiding behind the couch because it's City isn't impressive, it's shameful.

City started well last season mate but very quickly lost their magic with all the Pep stories coming out. Without looking it up, I don't think we played them while they were in their early form?

This season's a completely different story though IMO, Celtic played the game of their lives and got a draw at their place. Spurs won at WHL but they're miles ahead of us in terms of investment as well as Poch being in his 4th season (one of the reasons I lost faith in Martinez was seeing how brilliantly Poch did in the same timeframe).

City looked amazing yesterday and are so stacked with quality, it was never going to be an easy one. I liked that Martinez went at teams but there were many more examples where it was embarrassing how we were set up (that game when the RS had like 40 shots was the worst thing I've experienced as an Evertonian).

If anything I'm relieved that we have the fixture out the way and have a point from it, as they look like they'll demolish sides given the chance.

I was far from convinced with Koeman before he was appointed but he's definitely doing things the right way IMO. I'm hoping that we can attract the players that we dreamed of in the summer, and then we'd be able to compete more - as it stands though we have to play for points.

Much has been said of this upgrade, but City are only one point ahead where they were this time last season when everyone was raving on them as odds on to win the title. The truth is that Guardiola has done well since coming in by keeping the plate spinning...they haven't lost momentum.

I heard Koeman post match yesterday and his words about this City team being 'the best he's ever faced' sounded like a convenient fig leaf to hide an overtly rearguard exercise on his behalf.

It was knife to a gun fight dressed up. There's no way to get round this. It's not even the 'idealist v realist' debate that raged between Martinez and Moyes, it's setting up with no intention to win a game because you believe that the opposition are too good to compete against. This is ultimately what Koeman did yesterday, what Moyes did at times, and what Martinez did in certain games. Whether the manager openly says it or not it is all the same knife to a gunfight approach and I find it extremely disappointing when it does occur.

City started well last season mate but very quickly lost their magic with all the Pep stories coming out. Without looking it up, I don't think we played them while they were in their early form?

This season's a completely different story though IMO, Celtic played the game of their lives and got a draw at their place. Spurs won at WHL but they're miles ahead of us in terms of investment as well as Poch being in his 4th season (one of the reasons I lost faith in Martinez was seeing how brilliantly Poch did in the same timeframe).

City looked amazing yesterday and are so stacked with quality, it was never going to be an easy one. I liked that Martinez went at teams but there were many more examples where it was embarrassing how we were set up (that game when the RS had like 40 shots was the worst thing I've experienced as an Evertonian).

If anything I'm relieved that we have the fixture out the way and have a point from it, as they look like they'll demolish sides given the chance.

I was far from convinced with Koeman before he was appointed but he's definitely doing things the right way IMO. I'm hoping that we can attract the players that we dreamed of in the summer, and then we'd be able to compete more - as it stands though we have to play for points.
That City team wont demolish many PL teams if they all sit with 10 behind the ball like we did.

We either applaud the 'pragmatism' of yesterday and put the Moyes' jibe of 'knife to a gunfight' away forever; or you look at it and say it was not the way to set up and hopefully it's the last time we set up at a 'big club' ground and hunker down for a point for 90 minutes.

There has to be a consistency here as fans: do we see ourselves as a club that wont accept that the three points up for grabs in any match is out of bounds to us, or do we accept that we have to settle for a point at certain grounds.

Koeman's tactics worked better than Pep's yesterday imo. We needed to defend well with their quality in attack and we did that. The best we could have hoped for was a smash and grab win and that nearly paid off.

We may have seemed negative to some yesterday but we were far from that. We scored a fantastic goal on the break, and although we should have done a lot better with the ball, up until their equaliser we were tactically on point. To some it may look like we never intended to go for the win but I think we did the opposite.

Going full on attack with our squad would have seen us lose by a couple. We do not have the quality of squad as, say Spurs. City planned to commit to attack and ball possession but all they got for it was a point at home. Result? A good one. Performance in terms of what was required? A good one.

Koeman did a fantastic job yesterday.

It was knife to a gun fight dressed up. There's no way to get round this. It's not even the 'idealist v realist' debate that raged between Martinez and Moyes, it's setting up with no intention to win a game because you believe that the opposition are too good to compete against. This is ultimately what Koeman did yesterday, what Moyes did at times, and what Martinez did in certain games. Whether the manager openly says it or not it is all the same knife to a gunfight approach and I find it extremely disappointing when it does occur.
Exactly.

There should be no change of 'lenses' as you put it earlier. Consistency is the only way of analysing what we see across different regimes. It's not cowardly when done by one manager then canny when done by another. We just have to judge whether what we saw was justifiable or not. For me, and given the performances of the likes of Swansea and Celtic against them, never mind a Spurs team we drew with, that was nowhere near justifiable.

Everton teams should not be set up to soak up pressure for 90 minutes. I dont care if it's City or Barcelona they face.

I'll tell you a good fact about football, if you attack you score goals, that gives you a chance of winning, having absolutely no intention of attacking means you get a point at most.

I'm not into watching us get pummelled for 90 in the hope of snatching a draw. That's not football and everyone on here slates the hell out of Pulis for playing that way.

Nope, the fact is that with a solid dfence you increase your percentage of winning.

Be happy fella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back