Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koeman has come in and assessed the squad, and he is not happy with 1) The level of fitness and (2) the lack of quality players.
I don't blame him for being pragmatic yesterday. He doesn't believe in these players. It's not he's squad yet and he is not impressed, but given time this will change. Hopefully, next season at the Etihad will be a different story, but for now we have to be happy with that point, regardless of the performance.

Point me in the direction of an Evertonian that's saying we played well, please.

Maybe not in so many words, plenty are happy we scraped a draw. The point is a very good one when you take all the bs out. The performance isn't what I want to see from Everton.

Exactly.

There should be no change of 'lenses' as you put it earlier. Consistency is the only way of analysing what we see across different regimes. It's not cowardly when done by one manager then canny when done by another. We just have to judge whether what we saw was justifiable or not. For me, and given the performances of the likes of Swansea and Celtic against them, never mind a Spurs team we drew with, that was nowhere near justifiable.

Everton teams should not be set up to soak up pressure for 90 minutes. I dont care if it's City or Barcelona they face.

We've just ended City's 100% home record and you're crying that we never stood toe toe with them like we supposedly did last season under clown shoes, when we got a 0-0 they had 22 shots and were denied an obvious penalty. This seasons City is a world away from the plodders that Pelligrini had charge of last year, in case you'd not noticed like.

Everton teams should not be set up to soak up pressure for 90 minutes. I dont care if it's City or Barcelona they face.

I'm a pragmatist, there are times when it's sensible to park the bus and hope for a goal on the break and there are times when it makes sense to play more open football.

Yesterday, it was sensible to park the bus. It wasn't pretty, but, barring a couple of brain farts from Jags it was pretty effective. I'm sure we'll do it again over the course of the season. I'd rather come away with a hard earned, though lucky, point than see us playing an open game and get battered. Ideally we'd have gone to the Etihad and pressed them hard for ninety minutes, but we'd likely have run out of legs after 70 minutes.

If we're still regularly parking the bus in the league in two years time then criticism will be valid, but at the moment, I have no problem with it.

Atletico Madrid have had a lot of success against the bigger teams in Spain and in the Champions League by being hard to break down.

I didn't mind our approach to the game yesterday one bit

Massive difference to what Atletico, Spurs, even Leicester last season do compared to us yesterday. They have a plan to win the game and whilst they may be organised and disciplined they press up the field as a team and carry a threat for the whole game. We put 11 behind the ball, accepted that we couldn't even match City, and bundled ourvway to one chance in 90 mins which lets be honest was the individual brilliance of a 30 million pound striker not a result of good team counter attacking.

That City team wont demolish many PL teams if they all sit with 10 behind the ball like we did.

We either applaud the 'pragmatism' of yesterday and put the Moyes' jibe of 'knife to a gunfight' away forever; or you look at it and say it was not the way to set up and hopefully it's the last time we set up at a 'big club' ground and hunker down for a point for 90 minutes.

There has to be a consistency here as fans: do we see ourselves as a club that wont accept that the three points up for grabs in any match is out of bounds to us, or do we accept that we have to settle for a point at certain grounds.

I disagree to be honest mate, I don't think many sides will be set up as well as we were and survive that kind of onslaught.

We were lucky to not concede those penalties, but equally they were silly pens to give away. Jags should know to not stick his leg out behind him like that in the box.

I don't think we'll play like that everywhere we go, but if we do I'll be disappointed. Koeman did it yesterday as he probably saw that City would be too strong coming off three poor performances and looking to bounce back.

I guess we won't know either way until later in the season.

It wasnt the tactics that gave away the pens, it was individual errors, the tactics yesterday were masterful and Pep had no idea what to do about them.

Your masterful tactics 9/10 will end up with a hammering, take the luck yesterday because we used a full seasons worth up. Along with a masterclass from our Goalie.

There is a time to park the bus, minute 1 is not it.

It wasnt the tactics that gave away the pens, it was individual errors, the tactics yesterday were masterful and Pep had no idea what to do about them.

The tactics were the reason Aguero and Silva ended up in our box with the ball at their feet forcing Jagielka into tackles he didn't want to make.

I'd rather have had their fearless 3-3 than our fearful 1-1.
what about a fearless 3-1 as per the LC semi last year! if that Buffoon Martinez could have organised a defence........ and apart from an early Osman effort at their place in the league i don't remember us doing anything.

With attacking/goals you win matches. You are advocating sitting back for 90mins hoping for a point. If that's why you watch football you are doing it wrong i'm afraid.

No, the most successful teams have the tightest defensive records, its not a coincidence you know. We haven't seen that in 2 years here.

I watch EVERTON to see us succeed, and if that means killing games dead so we get a point than I'm happy.

If you want goals and end to end footy then go down Jericho lane on a Sunday morning and watch some togger there

With attacking/goals you win matches. You are advocating sitting back for 90mins hoping for a point. If that's why you watch football you are doing it wrong i'm afraid.
Are you aware that the English Premier League consists of 20 different teams? We are one of them, Man City are another and there are 18 other teams, we play them all twice, once at home once away.

To me you seem to think we have been and are going to do this every week.

Not one of our players would get in that team, I also doubt there is an Evertonian who wouldn't swap Koeman for Guardiola, they are in excellent form, especially at home, we have hit a little sticky patch, they up until yesterday were ODDS ON favourites to win the league the 2nd favourites were 5/1 Everton were 6/1 to win yesterday.

This is a note from me on planet Earth to you on planet Fume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back