Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the moment a more natural and realistic place for us in the table is 7th, completely in line with rational expectation at the start of the season. We will largely do well against the teams below us because we are conceding so few goals and have tightened up on defending set pieces. The stupid losses and dropped points of last season should be behind us. But we lack the creative edge and range of goal scorers to be hurting those teams immediately above us. If Koeman guides us to a 7th place finish at the end of the season, he will have done a good job. And then we build on that.

Personally would never ever want my team to set up and play like that, regardless of opposition. We surrendered 1st minute and that is not good enough.

Anyone happy with that performance, not result because that was a good point, is lying to themselves, anti-football.

Which, apart from the bit about lying to themselves, is fair enough, different strokes for different folk ( which sounds a tad kinky so I hope I'm using it in the right context ).

It wasnt the tactics that gave away the pens, it was individual errors, the tactics yesterday were masterful and Pep had no idea what to do about them.

I would say the two go hand in hand if I am honest with you.

Just sitting back and inviting a team to attack you incessantly will greatly increase the risk of individual error in critical positions by your own players.

And that is indeed what happened yesterday.

In fact, IMO City were denied a clear penno early on when it looked to me like Oviedo fouled their right winger.

We got away with a point yesterday but in my mind that was due entirely to the fact that City missed two penalty kicks, taken by two of the best players on earth, rather than any great tactical plan on behalf of Koeman.

That first penalty goes in, his plan is in tatters and I doubt he would have had the nous to change things and get us back in the game.

Yesterday was a dreadful ninety minute's viewing for Everton fans.....there is no getting away from that.

Totally unenjoyable except for four fleeting moments.....the two penalty saves, the goal and the ref blowing the whistle to end the torture.

The sheer relief at the end cannot mask the fact it was sheer torture from beginning to end.

Now, I could look over all this and happily move on and put it down to needs must if it wasn't for the fact that apart from the first half against Spurs, there has been precious little in the line of sustained, expansive attacking football this season.

Just a couple of sporadic fifteen minute periods against Sunderland and Boro.

And the two league games prior to yesterday were just plain abysmal. We were pushed back for most of the second half at home to Palace.

Now, on the other hand maybe Koeman is a lucky manager, because our points tally and lofty league position are at odds with the overall performances with almost a quarter of the season gone IMO.

And that works for me at the moment....just like it did for Napoleon when it came to appointing generals.

So here's hoping the good luck keeps up ;)

Man City are a team supported by an entire oil rich nation and have hand picked a team of players, many of whom would walk into any team on the planet.
They are managed by a man considered by many to be one the (if not THE) best managers in world football.
They have started this season looking a step up from everyone else (one or two blips aside) and are most sane peoples choice for champions.

We played them at their place, arguably the toughest fixture for any team this season and got a point.

No, it's never nice to see your team pinned back for the vast majority of the game, but being realistic, if we'd stood toe-to-toe with them, they would have swept us aside.

It was ugly from our point of view, yes, but I think all of us would have snapped a draw up all day before the match.

I would say the two go hand in hand if I am honest with you.

Just sitting back and inviting a team to attack you incessantly will greatly increase the risk of individual error in critical positions by your own players.

And that is indeed what happened yesterday.

In fact, IMO City were denied a clear penno early on when it looked to me like Oviedo fouled their right winger.

We got away with a point yesterday but in my mind that was due entirely to the fact that City missed two penalty kicks, taken by two of the best players on earth, rather than any great tactical plan on behalf of Koeman.

That first penalty goes in, his plan is in tatters and I doubt he would have had the nous to change things and get us back in the game.

Yesterday was a dreadful ninety minute's viewing for Everton fans.....there is no getting away from that.

Totally unenjoyable except for four fleeting moments.....the two penalty saves, the goal and the ref blowing the whistle to end the torture.

The sheer relief at the end cannot mask the fact it was sheer torture from beginning to end.

Now, I could look over all this and happily move on and put it down to needs must if it wasn't for the fact that apart from the first half against Spurs, there has been precious little in the line of sustained, expansive attacking football this season.

Just a couple of sporadic fifteen minute periods against Sunderland and Boro.

And the two league games prior to yesterday were just plain abysmal. We were pushed back for most of the second half at home to Palace.

Now, on the other hand maybe Koeman is a lucky manager, because our points tally and lofty league position are at odds with the overall performances with almost a quarter of the season gone IMO.

And that works for me at the moment....just like it did for Napoleon when it came to appointing generals.

So here's hoping the good luck keeps up ;)

Put a lot more eloquently than I seem to be able to manage.

Fitness, strength of character and solid defending are the foundations of a successful side. These basics have been lacking for some time, but Koeman is bringing them back. The other thing we need is quality players. Koeman has to try and draw blood from a stone (against the very best sides) until we get to the January and Summer transfer windows. He can only work with what he has.

Which, apart from the bit about lying to themselves, is fair enough, different strokes for different folk ( which sounds a tad kinky so I hope I'm using it in the right context ).

kdKdw.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back