Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
He went with a 4-3-3 on Saturday - that's more attacking than Martinez has been in any game away at a 'big club' since that 13/14 season.

We were a bit deep and that's because of how good City are/were, not because we played badly.

If we'd have tried to go toe-for-toe against City we'd have been hammered. We haven't got the legs of Spurs to play a pressing game for 90 minutes against a side that good, and we were away from home to boot.

While I would have liked to have seen us maybe push on for a second late on, I have no issue at all with the selections or the system.

Burnley is a completely different type of game and we need to be playing much further up.
433 or 442 or 4231...doesn't matter if you have all but one of them pulled right back in their own half.

433 or 442 or 4231...doesn't matter if you have all but one of them pulled right back in their own half.

Watch the game again if you must Dave...

Del and Rom stayed high up the pitch.

Bolasie tracked back quite a bit.

We got hammered in the first 15 and Koeman reacted by moving the side deeper. While City had a lot of the ball, it worked - they didn't create anything clear-cut in the first-half until the penalty.

Second half, we did come out a bit - and the game opened up - but Del and Bolasie both pushed further up again to support Rom.

It's hypothetical, but it's the difference between Koeman and Martinez (of the past season).

Martinez would just allow things to continue until we were a goal down. Koeman reacted at the right time, and did what he needed to. We got a tad lucky but our goalkeeper had a great game and so did Williams. Even Oviedo improved in the second half and despite two horrid mistakes (which he will know he made) Jagielka was also excellent.

Our attacking play hasn't been at its best recently but we were clinical when we needed to be, and Del grew into the game which was good to see.

Ronald McDonald was just a gentle jibe in response to the Martinez is a clown stuff.

Relax.
Nobody, absolutely nobody called Martinez a clown or anything of the sort in his first season here. The first time I heard El Fraudo was about Dec 2014 or Jan 2015 and it was a tiny minority who only became more vocal because ANY criticism of Martinez was met with blind rage by you and his other deluded acolytes. It remained a small but vocal minority until about March 2016 and all of a sudden exploded when the lemmings finally realised that they were approaching the cliff. I'd never advocate calling a manager names or giving him stick in his first season (let alone his first few months).

We never went anywhere and hid behind the couch.
giphy.gif

Yes, so did I. But at least there was an excuse of an upcoming cup SF and a catalogue of injuries for that game.

It's simple: I want to see us stand up and take the game to the opposition. We didn't do that on Saturday.

Give the man chance ffs.

The squad isn't where he wants it to be, he'll need another couple of windows to make it so.

Saturday was our toughest away of the season on paper and he picked his tactics accordingly. Don't assume that's his default setting for any tough away, which is what you're doing, off the back of one game - and his tactics worked btw.

Aye, he can hardly be blamed for parking the bus at a high-flying City team, particularly as our squad hasn't completely shaken off the lethargy of last season. My concern was how badly we did it. On any other day, City would have pasted us.

Nobody, absolutely nobody called Martinez a clown or anything of the sort in his first season here. The first time I heard El Fraudo was about Dec 2014 or Jan 2015 and it was a tiny minority who only became more vocal because ANY criticism of Martinez was met with blind rage by you and his other deluded acolytes. It remained a small but vocal minority until about March 2016 and all of a sudden exploded when the lemmings finally realised that they were approaching the cliff. I'd never advocate calling a manager names or giving him stick in his first season (let alone his first few months).

So supporters who backed the last manager longer than YOU think was acceptable, were all lemmings and deluded?

I was backing him right the way through, and merely thought it was a pity it didn't work out as well as his first season suggested it might. I was aware of all the issues and could see it was time for him to go, but personally didn't put it all on the manager, as flawed as he was. I don't believe I was deluded at any point and nor was I following anybody else's opinion like a lemming.

Thanks.

So supporters who backed the last manager longer than YOU think was acceptable, were all lemmings and deluded?

I was backing him right the way through, and merely thought it was a pity it didn't work out as well as his first season suggested it might. I was aware of all the issues and could see it was time for him to go, but personally didn't put it all on the manager, as flawed as he was. I don't believe I was deluded at any point and nor was I following anybody else's opinion like a lemming.

Thanks.
The ones who continued to back him blindly and verbally attack those who didn't, all while ignoring the evidence that he was a clueless, shameless fraud? Yes they were deluded lemmings. Loyalty is a fine trait to have and one that should always be valued but blind unquestioning loyalty is not a good thing. If the Martinez loyalists had been more reasonable and excepted that some of criticism he was taking was justified I very much doubt he'd of taken anything even close to the stick he did at the end.

The ones who continued to back him blindly and verbally attack those who didn't, all while ignoring the evidence that he was a clueless, shameless fraud? Yes they were deluded lemmings. Loyalty is a fine trait to have and one that should always be valued but blind unquestioning loyalty is not a good thing. If the Martinez loyalists had been more reasonable and excepted that some of criticism he was taking was justified I very much doubt he'd of taken anything even close to the stick he did at the end.

so your post was about two or three posters....if not only just one really.

it wasn't put in that way.

If people decide to hyperfume about a manager, just because supporters of the manager had annoyed them previously then I would say they are easily led. A little like a lemming.

Better to just be reasonable right the way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back