Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoyed the first season, but it was always going to end in disaster. The first season was a perfect storm of Moyes Defensive dicipline, an incredible amount of ''worldies' and a little Martinez influence. As his influence grew, the defence fell apart, we attacked well for only half a season at a time and the type of goals that got us through the first season dried up as they're not to be relied upon.

Proof is in pudding.

First season 38 played 21 won

2nd and 3rd season 75 played 21 won.
bo5StQ3.gif

Much as I enjoyed this, everyone won at Old Trafford that season.
The manner in which we won was terrific.
I remember a point in the game where Kev, Pienaar and Barkley started playing a one touch passing drill, mid-game, in the opponents half.
We were awesome that first season, all in all.
Second and third, not so. Deserved to be fired.
Why can't the first season be left alone though? We were fantastic.

Absolute rubbish mate.

You've got endless notes on things you can criticise Martinez for. Use them.
To say "a little Martinez influence" is absolutely ridiculous. And you know it.
I did acknowledge Martinez growing influence later in that post. 21 wins in 75 is absoloutly rubbish. It's undeniable the back 5 he was left that was extremely well drilled aided him, as his influence grew we declined as did the defence. Happened at Wigan. Leon Osman put in his autobiography about the lack of defensive drills and defending set plays.

While I respect your point of view I do question one thing you've side here. Firstly, feel like your back in the Moyes days? Really? Based on eight league games?! And what exactly was so bad about most of the Moyes days anyway? He did better then Martinez for 90% of his tenure here. I'd never take him back at the club but it doesn't mean we have to dismiss the 11 years he was here as somehow vastly interior to anything Martinez did or that it was poor all the time because it sure as hell wasn't.

I think we can both agree that the top eight is a reasonable target and I hope that our fans keep their expectations tempered because anything above 7th would be a massive over achievement with this current squad.

Yeah, my opinion on the 8 games so far is that its like the average Moyes type style. a lot of hoofing and not very inspiring. i never implied that was always the case under him but a majority of the games were in that vein. of course it doesnt mean i am claiming this is all we get from Koeman, as you say its only a few games in but those few games have given me a been there done that feeling. hopefully it changes a lot during his time here. I am not expecting great things, but he does genuinely have my support and patience as would practically any manager.

I did acknowledge Martinez growing influence later in that post. 21 wins in 75 is absoloutly rubbish. It's undeniable the back 5 he was left that was extremely well drilled aided him, as his influence grew we declined as did the defence. Happened at Wigan. Leon Osman put in his autobiography about the lack of defensive drills and defending set plays.

Any manager can have 1 good season, it is maintaining it that is the issue.

He took over a decent side, added well to it in the market with Barry, Lukaku and McCarthy and then reaped the rewards with the feel good factor of a new broom sweeping through after a lot of familiarity.

However, once that had gone he was found out for what he actually was, an inept manager with zero idea of how a team might defend and once the players sussed that, the crap hit the fan and the results got steadily worst as time went on.

Very little doubt we would be at the other end of the table if he had stayed.

Glad Koeman has come in and stopped us conceding goals. Once the players feel they have a solid base to work from we might see a lot better going forward from the attackers too.

He took over a decent side, added well to it in the market with Barry, Lukaku and McCarthy and then reaped the rewards with the feel good factor of a new broom sweeping through after a lot of familiarity.

However, once that had gone he was found out for what he actually was, an inept manager with zero idea of how a team might defend and once the players sussed that, the crap hit the fan and the results got steadily worst as time went on.

Glad Koeman has come in and stopped us conceding goals. Once the players feel they have a solid base to work from we might see a lot better going forward from the attackers too.
giphy.gif

Jose couldn't at Chelsea, does that dilute how well he did in relative terms in his first season post-return?
Absolutely not.
I am not saying Martinez is anywhere near Mour, I am just saying that first season was brilliant because of Martinez, not in spite of.

Jose couldn't at Chelsea, does that dilute how well he did in relative terms in his first season post-return?
Absolutely not.
I am not saying Martinez is anywhere near Mour, I am just saying that first season was brilliant because of Martinez, not in spite of.

Alan Pardew finished 5th with Newcastle one season, he's a manager we openly mock at every opportunity.

I was delighted when martinez left, and frankly think he's out of his depth at this level but I'm not gonna lie, that win at OT was one of the most enjoyable nights of my life.
Yeah it was brilliant, I love it when Everton win, can't whack the smile off my face, that was a personal favourite. Ironically the man who helped us the most with that squad helped us even more by being poor at his new job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back