Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a great gif that one
giphy.gif

Absorb, absorb, absorb, absorb, hoof, pray, repeat...
Come on cheese. It was one game, he hadn't seen his Everyon team tested at that level prior, it'd of been risky to go any other way, a heavy defeat could've led to untold confidence issues.

Plus for all their possession, outside of the penalties, which were not goal scoring opportunities when the foul was committed (sake jags) they were reliant on long shots in the main, I can't remember too many guilt edged chances being missed.

Gutted? Not at all.

That said I watched that movie for a decade and know that it will not win anything because it's simply not good enough.

It won Leicester the title and it's made Atletico Madrid one of the most consistent teams in Europe so I wouldn't go that far. I'd say Martinez's idealistic naive dross is far less likely to bring us success.

Alan Pardew finished 5th with Newcastle one season, he's a manager we openly mock at every opportunity.
Mike mate-
If you're going to wade in (which you are absolutely entitled to and I welcome, all opinions etc) then could you answer the question I made about Jose.
Does the fact he couldnt replicate his first season back dilute what he did by winning the title in his first season?

Those with better memory than me, so any goldfish for one, will recall better the 0 0 away game in Munich in the CWC semi. But memory of me and me Dads reaction at full time was one of "glad thats over"

It seemed that we just absorbed and absorbed mountains of German attacks, with an utterly brilliant defensive display.

Like I said, memory aint all that, and maybe we hit their bar 6 times and missed 3 penalties. But it didnt feel like that thinking back.

Those with better memory than me, so any goldfish or one, will recall better the 0 0 away game in Munich in the CWC semi. But memory of me and me Dads reaction at full time was one of "glad thats over"

It seemed that we just absorbed and absorbed mountains of German attacks, with an utterly brilliant defensive display.

Like I said, memory aint all that, and maybe we hit their bar 6 times and missed 3 penalties. But it didnt feel like that thinking back.

We defended brilliantly on Sat and that's what we should focus on.
I would just like to see us on the ball a bit more. It's the reason I liked RM so much, despite his obvious flaws. Seeing our beloved Everton getting on the ball and taking the game to the opposition filled me with pride.

Mike mate-
If you're going to wade in (which you are absolutely entitled to and I welcome, all opinions etc) then could you answer the question I made about Jose.
Does the fact he couldnt replicate his first season back dilute what he did by winning the title in his first season?

I'll answer your question about Mourinho by saying over the past 15 years he's been the most successful manager around and proved more than anyone that he can actually replicate success everywhere he goes. If anything he's the absolute antithesis of the point you're trying to make because it was his crap season that was the anomaly.

Come on cheese. It was one game, he hadn't seen his Everyon team tested at that level prior, it'd of been risky to go any other way, a heavy defeat could've led to untold confidence issues.

Plus for all their possession, outside of the penalties, which were not goal scoring opportunities when the foul was committed (sake jags) they were reliant on long shots in the main, I can't remember too many guilt edged chances being missed.

I am not coming at the man with torches and pitchforks. I don't have a problem with playing for the counter either. I think Rom is built for that style (despite his trampoline shins).

I just don't want us in a position where our keeper has to have a worldie in order to get a point.

I'll answer your question about Mourinho by saying over the past 15 years he's been the most successful manager around and proved more than anyone that he can actually replicate success everywhere he goes. If anything he's the absolute antithesis of the point you're trying to make because it was his crap season that was the anomaly.
So no then.
Cheers Mike.
As you were.

How you can put Mourinho's sustained success and Martinez's sustained failure up on the same pedestal is baffling.

Jose couldn't at Chelsea, does that dilute how well he did in relative terms in his first season post-return?
Absolutely not.
I am not saying Martinez is anywhere near Mour, I am just saying that first season was brilliant because of Martinez, not in spite of.

Cheers Mike.

Jose couldn't at Chelsea, does that dilute how well he did in relative terms in his first season post-return?
Absolutely not.
I am not saying Martinez is anywhere near Mour, I am just saying that first season was brilliant because of Martinez, not in spite of.

I have given him credit for making some good signings which lifted the team further. Like I said, he took over a very decent side, it was his to screw up, which he did later on with much aplomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back