Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite, Jose season one was good, Season two excellent, season three a disaster, but I'm certain in time, as autobiographies are released we will find out exactly what happened to Chelsea last year.

What happen to Everton was somewhat different. We were Martinez'd.

Wigan under Bruce

Close of play in his final season 08/09

PL 38 W 12 D 9 L 17 S 34 C 45

Points 45

Final position 11th

Wigan Under Martinez

Close of play in his final season 12/13

PL 38 W 9 D 9 L 20 S 47 C 73

Points 36

Final position 18th and Relegated

Everton under Moyes

PL 38 W 16 D 15 L 7 S 55 C 40

Points 63

Final position 6th

Everton under Martinez

Close of play in his final season 15/16

PL 37 W 10 D 14 L 13 S 56 C 55

Points 44

Position when binned 13th

Now let's hope Koeman progresses us season on season, this year that will be easy, next year will be interesting, but by then the club will of had two further Windows.

This is a great time to be blue IMHO.

I don't think there's anybody who questions that mate - but @mkrudden is also right - that first Martinez season was great and, personally, it's the best I've ever seen Everton play, so that shouldn't be written off imo.

Koeman would have been the right step after Moyes. He is focused on team balance and good defending still he knows how to attack. So it would have been a smoother step into a certain style of play. Martinez was very different and was always out of his depth. He's no manager to reach the top in the next couple of years. He'll need to thread a longer path. Even though he has good ideas he doesn't know how to build it in a balanced manner.

We never went anywhere and hid behind the couch.

Your right we stayed at home and shipped 3 goals in the last ten minutes ... we threw away two goal leads at Bournemouth and Chelsea... and ended up with the worst home record in our history... but I agree deffo the tactics we should playing... was great for the neutrals. Those tactics made me not actually want to watch Everton...

Not quite, Jose season one was good, Season two excellent, season three a disaster, but I'm certain in time, as autobiographies are released we will find out exactly what happened to Chelsea last year.

What happen to Everton was somewhat different. We were Martinez'd.

Wigan under Bruce

Close of play in his final season 08/09

PL 38 W 12 D 9 L 17 S 34 C 45

Points 45

Final position 11th

Wigan Under Martinez

PL 38 W 9 D 9 L 20 S 47 C 73

Points 36

Final position 18th and Relegated

Everton under Moyes

PL 38 W 16 D 15 L 7 S 55 C 40

Points 63

Final position 6th

Everton under Martinez

Close of play in his final season 15/16

PL 37 W 10 D 14 L 13 S 56 C 55

Points 44

Position when binned 13th

Now let's hope Koeman progresses us season on season, this year that will be easy, next year will be interesting, but by then the club will of had two further Windows.

This is a great time to be blue IMHO.

The goals conceded column !

Reading My Turn the Johan Cruyff autobiography right now. He only has nice things to say about Koeman. Doesn't go into detail but says he did a good job as coach at Ajax and was someone he wanted to take over as technical director there (the source of Cruyff's bad blood with LVG after he got the role against his advice to the Ajax board).

I mention this because I wonder how JC would have admired Koeman's time here at Everton thus far. Getting it down to fundamentals: Cruyff's method for football was to 'make the pitch large' when you had the ball, and 'make the pitch small' when you didn't - emphasising the role of finding space with the ball and pressing/getting close to the opposition when you didn't have it. <<< They are the basic building blocks a disciple of Cruyff usually adhere to.

Given that, is Koeman demonstrating this method here yet? For my money he isn't really succeeding in the former, and only partially succeeding in the latter.

Reading My Turn the Johan Cruyff autobiography right now. He only has nice things to say about Koeman. Doesn't go into detail but says he did a good job as coach at Ajax and was someone he wanted to take over as technical director there (the source of Cruyff's bad blood with LVG after he got the role against his advice to the Ajax board).

I mention this because I wonder how JC would have admired Koeman's time here at Everton thus far. Getting it down to fundamentals: Cruyff's method for football was to 'make the pitch large' when you had the ball, and 'make the pitch small' when you didn't - emphasising the role of finding space with the ball and pressing/getting close to the opposition when you didn't have it. <<< They are the basic building blocks a disciple of Cruyff usually adhere to.

Given that, is Koeman demonstrating this method here yet? For my money he isn't really succeeding in the former, and only partially succeeding in the latter.
You're a goddamn machine Dave.

He's 9 games into his tenure.

Gutted? Not at all.

That said I watched that movie for a decade and know that it will not win anything because it's simply not good enough.
10 games he's had...and looks like you are already prepared to equate RK with latter day Moyes. We simply do not have the squad strength to reach top 4 this season as long as we still have dross like Kone, Niasse, and others who imo simply don't have what is required to turn us into a potent attacking unit. Going to take at least 2 years to get rid of the defensive naiveties of the martinez era and ally this with some shrewd purchases to make us more dangerous going forward. My head says top 8 would be progress this season but heart wants top 4. RK has already started on the defensive side of things - I am prepared to give him time to really move us on. Actually enjoying going to the game this season!!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back