Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely this. Maybe before March in my opinion it turned, but the football we were playing the first half of the season should have had us top 4 if not for the seemingly weekly defensive calamities that cost us the win.

Those weekly calamities happen because of the style of play... jags is a great player when defending... but has always been terrible on the ball... so what happens when you tell players like that to mess around with it around the area? Mistakes.... and goals ... he used to play attacking football at Wigan and those calamities took them to the championship.... his goals conceded figures increase every year for every club he has managed...

Those weekly calamities happen because of the style of play... jags is a great player when defending... but has always been terrible on the ball... so what happens when you tell players like that to mess around with it around the area? Mistakes.... and goals ... he used to play attacking football at Wigan and those calamities took them to the championship.... his goals conceded figures increase every year for every club he has managed...
I can't agree with you mate. Specifically in the first half of the season I think most were individual calamities. Many from Tim Howard whom he should have dropped of course, and a few from the defenders. I think Roberto was unlucky in the beginning of last season. Then it all fell away after that.

I can't agree with you mate. Specifically in the first half of the season I think most were individual calamities. Many from Tim Howard whom he should have dropped of course, and a few from the defenders. I think Roberto was unlucky in the beginning of last season. Then it all fell away after that.

Just like bramble and Caldwell... individual errors took Wigan down and bobby wouldn't change his style . He refused to change it and the club are relegated and may never come back up... this happened because he asked players like Caldwell and bramble to play like maldini and bekenbaur ... anyone that cannot see an improvement since he's gone is blind IMO... it's that obvious... no way we would have put a defensive performance like city in if we was still here... you remember anfield right?

Just like bramble and Caldwell... individual errors took Wigan down and bobby wouldn't change his style . He refused to change it and the club are relegated and may never come back up... this happened because he asked players like Caldwell and bramble to play like maldini and bekenbaur ... anyone that cannot see an improvement since he's gone is blind IMO... it's that obvious... no way we would have put a defensive performance like city in if we was still here... you remember anfield right?
I'm specifically commenting on the first half of last season. Not Anfield, or the second half in general, where he lost the plot along with losing the players.
I agree about him asking average at best skilled footballers to play like Barcelona was a joke.

They're not made of glass and I doubt he would have said it if he didn't think they could handle it. Barkley is a senior player nigh on 3 seasons and needs to start acting like it.
I'll turn that around: Koeman is a manager of 17 years standing. He must know as elsewhere that going at your players in public will eventually sow the seeds of a poor dressing room. Which is why nearly all other managers keep their grids shut in front pf the media and dont target individual players.

I know those two games were away... I was referring to the Stoke game and arsenal ones etc. I didn't write that clearly so I can see why you thought that. You talk about the Chelsea and Bournemouth games as being exciting.. if I supported saints or someone else I would agree... just like the Stoke game would have been, arsenal, the 6-3 chelsea game and many others. You say compare the Chelsea and Bournemouth 3-3 games with the city result? I tell you now.... the feeling I had after city doesn't cannot be measured against the the insanely angry feeling I had after those games... you say it was an abomination? I thought it was a hard earned draw against the probable champions.. we don't play like that every week do we? That won't turn me away from watching Everton...bobby took Everton away from me... I found it nearly impossible to watch.... even when we won I didn't feel anything really... we were so boring and when we actually turned into a shambles at the back I felt ,for the first time in my life... that I couldn't be bothered to watch Everton.... I obviously did... but I would take the city feeling against them every time.... and never want to have the Bournemouth feeling ever again... I mean we literally couldn't defend a lead in those games for longer than 2 minutes... our players couldn't last 90mins as they're fitness was shocking... we let in so many soft goals... Howard should have been dropped a year or two beofoe ... that is what turns me away from Everton if anything will..the semi final was another last minute defeat.... arsenal 2-0 with 10 mins left.... Wigan went down playing like that... just imagine that feeling... I honestly believe lukaku would have gone if bobby was still here and we would be in very big trouble. City are the best team in the league at the moment winning all but two games... they had won all their home games... he did actually try to be brave and play 4-3-3 but we were getting battered so he changed it (another thing RM wouldn't have done) I agree we didn't attack much , but that wasn't all down to tactics... they were so powerful and quick all over the pitch... they're a top side and we aren't at the moment and we got a point. I don't think it's going to be the same set up tommorrow
I know those two games were away... I was referring to the Stoke game and arsenal ones etc. I didn't write that clearly so I can see why you thought that. You talk about the Chelsea and Bournemouth games as being exciting.. if I supported saints or someone else I would agree... just like the Stoke game would have been, arsenal, the 6-3 chelsea game and many others. You say compare the Chelsea and Bournemouth 3-3 games with the city result? I tell you now.... the feeling I had after city doesn't cannot be measured against the the insanely angry feeling I had after those games... you say it was an abomination? I thought it was a hard earned draw against the probable champions.. we don't play like that every week do we? That won't turn me away from watching Everton...bobby took Everton away from me... I found it nearly impossible to watch.... even when we won I didn't feel anything really... we were so boring and when we actually turned into a shambles at the back I felt ,for the first time in my life... that I couldn't be bothered to watch Everton.... I obviously did... but I would take the city feeling against them every time.... and never want to have the Bournemouth feeling ever again... I mean we literally couldn't defend a lead in those games for longer than 2 minutes... our players couldn't last 90mins as they're fitness was shocking... we let in so many soft goals... Howard should have been dropped a year or two beofoe ... that is what turns me away from Everton if anything will..the semi final was another last minute defeat.... arsenal 2-0 with 10 mins left.... Wigan went down playing like that... just imagine that feeling... I honestly believe lukaku would have gone if bobby was still here and we would be in very big trouble. City are the best team in the league at the moment winning all but two games... they had won all their home games... he did actually try to be brave and play 4-3-3 but we were getting battered so he changed it (another thing RM wouldn't have done) I agree we didn't attack much , but that wasn't all down to tactics... they were so powerful and quick all over the pitch... they're a top side and we aren't at the moment and we got a point. I don't think it's going to be the same set up tommorrow

It was actually the Bournemouth game few weeks ago I described as an "abomination", Tel :)

Saturday's game I referred to as a "no show".

Which it was.

You can't tell me you enjoyed sitting through that and that you did so with your nails still intact at the end :Blink:

But as I have said previously, I could easily live with that and move on to the next game......if I hadn't sat watching Palace batter us for much of the second half at Goodison the last home game. And if we had not surrendered so meekly at Bournemouth the week before that.

In short, City away was just the latest in a sequence of three bad performance which has seen our great start to the league campaign stutter and it worries me.

We need back on the winning trail soon.....hopefully at Burnley tomorrow ;)

I'll turn that around: Koeman is a manager of 17 years standing. He must know as elsewhere that going at your players in public will eventually sow the seeds of a poor dressing room. Which is why nearly all other managers keep their grids shut in front pf the media and dont target individual players.
Clearly he has plans on turning them all over during the 4 transfer windows he mentions then.

I'm a little bemused by the hostility of your comment to be honest. He was reacting to direct questions. He explained why he dropped Barkley , praised his ability and pointed out he needed to start realising his potential now he's an experienced player. All fairly innocuous and obvious. On Niasse he merely restated his position when questioned that he did not see him as someone he would pick for the first team squad . Nothing controversial and all fairly obvious. Preferable for me to endless obfuscation anyway.
It wasn't innocuous at all: he told a journalist whom he could easily have piped down or given a general answer to that Barkley is under the microscope (this after two weeks ago scolding some journalists after they pursued him again on the Barkley affair he instigated - no wonder they keep on coming back for a quote, they know how flaky he is on being consistent).

As said, he needs to hold his tongue. I expect an Everton manager to talk generally about the need for better performances and only name check players for outstanding praise. He's living up to the stereotypical Dutch bore and letting rip. Well he's at a club that has more class than the warring fiefdoms of Holland he was boss in or the other clubs he's managed. There's such a thing as the Everton Way and he needs to learn it.

He'll be gone in 2/3 years and we dont want t be left with a snarling divisive culture. The Dutch are welcome to it.

Last edited:

It wasn't innocuous at all: he told a journalist whom he could easily have piped down or given a general answer to that Barkley is under the microscope (this after two weeks ago scolding some journalists after they pursued him again on the Barkley affair he instigated - no wonder they keep on coming back for a quote, they know how flaky he is on being consistent).

As said, he needs to hold his tongue. I expect an Everton manager to talk generally about the need for better performances and only name check players for outstanding praise. He's living up to the stereotypical Dutch bore and letting rip. Well he's at a club that has more class than the warring fiefdoms of Holland he was boss in or the other clubs he's managed. There's such a thing as Everton Way and he needs to learn it.

He'll be gone in 2/3 years and we dont want t be left with a snarling divisive culture. The Dutch are welcome to it.
You sound like you're missing manager comments such as 'he's in a bad moment' or 'small margins'.

As said, he needs to hold his tongue. I expect an Everton manager to talk generally about the need for better performances and only name check players for outstanding praise. He's living up to the stereotypical Dutch bore and letting rip. Well he's at a club that has more class than the warring fiefdoms of Holland he was boss in or the other clubs he's managed. There's such a thing as the Everton Way and he needs to learn it.

Disagree.

He is probably well aware that every other approach with Barkley has failed badly; be that outstanding praise after great performances, outstanding praise after awful performances, ad-hoc glowing comments suggesting he'll be one of the best England players in history (Martinez), being held back and sent out on loan to prove himself (Moyes) and now this season also being withdrew at half time after a horrific performance and kept out of the starting XI (Koeman).

Seeing as he's been no better than a bog-standard-middle-of-the-table midfielder for the past two seasons, it's clear something different needs to happen to give him the kick up the arse he needs. I definitely agree with Koeman putting it out there that he is no longer to be viewed as a youngster with potential and that it's time to up his game here and now.

I think Barkley is incredibly weak minded and probably no approach will turn him into the player Martinez tried to convince us he's possible of becoming. Can see him becoming more of the next Osman than the next Gazza.

Poor Ross must have been on the phone to @davek crying because he seems to know exactly the effect Koemans comments are having on him. The manager just telling it like it is rather than blowing smoke up his back side like the previous joke. If Barkley is not man enough to take it on board and get his head down then hel never reach his potential.

As for Niasse comments, hel never paly for the first team so whats the issue? Its a farce the whole thing and sooner the better hes gone off the books and we can look back and laugh at it as part of Martinez's final days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back