Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll turn that around: Koeman is a manager of 17 years standing. He must know as elsewhere that going at your players in public will eventually sow the seeds of a poor dressing room. Which is why nearly all other managers keep their grids shut in front pf the media and dont target individual players.

He started his presser by saying it was for tactical reasons that Barkley didn't play.

At the end of the presser when asked again about Barkley he again said it was tactical but added the caveat that a player must perform well to play - there really isn't anything more to it than that.

While I don't agree that any player should be 'targetted' by the manager, that simply isn't the case in this instance.

It wasn't innocuous at all: he told a journalist whom he could easily have piped down or given a general answer to that Barkley is under the microscope (this after two weeks ago scolding some journalists after they pursued him again on the Barkley affair he instigated - no wonder they keep on coming back for a quote, they know how flaky he is on being consistent).

As said, he needs to hold his tongue. I expect an Everton manager to talk generally about the need for better performances and only name check players for outstanding praise. He's living up to the stereotypical Dutch bore and letting rip. Well he's at a club that has more class than the warring fiefdoms of Holland he was boss in or the other clubs he's managed. There's such a thing as the Everton Way and he needs to learn it.

He'll be gone in 2/3 years and we dont want t be left with a snarling divisive culture. The Dutch are welcome to it

What a bizarre spot of stereotyping.

It wasn't innocuous at all: he told a journalist whom he could easily have piped down or given a general answer to that Barkley is under the microscope (this after two weeks ago scolding some journalists after they pursued him again on the Barkley affair he instigated - no wonder they keep on coming back for a quote, they know how flaky he is on being consistent).

As said, he needs to hold his tongue. I expect an Everton manager to talk generally about the need for better performances and only name check players for outstanding praise. He's living up to the stereotypical Dutch bore and letting rip. Well he's at a club that has more class than the warring fiefdoms of Holland he was boss in or the other clubs he's managed. There's such a thing as the Everton Way and he needs to learn it.

He'll be gone in 2/3 years and we dont want t be left with a snarling divisive culture. The Dutch are welcome to it.
To an extent I understand your point of view. When I first started following football in the 60s most managers kept their own council and communicated sparingly via the press. That was changing with the onset of managers such as Allison,Clough and big gob shankly aided by the onset of TV coverage.
Nowadays managers are contractually obliged to speak publicly. If you omit a player you will be interrogated as to the reasons, more so if the player is considered a'star'. Koeman merely explains the reasons why. Why lie, it wasn't personally abusive. As for Niasse he's already made his opinion clear he just reiterated it.
Coming from a Northern city, I must admit to stereotypically preferring straight talking people to obfuscation and flim-flam,and I like Koeman and the Dutch for this reason. Call a spade a spade lad.:)

Disagree.

He is probably well aware that every other approach with Barkley has failed badly; be that outstanding praise after great performances, outstanding praise after awful performances, ad-hoc glowing comments suggesting he'll be one of the best England players in history (Martinez), being held back and sent out on loan to prove himself (Moyes) and now this season also being withdrew at half time after a horrific performance and kept out of the starting XI (Koeman).

Seeing as he's been no better than a bog-standard-middle-of-the-table midfielder for the past two seasons, it's clear something different needs to happen to give him the kick up the arse he needs. I definitely agree with Koeman putting it out there that he is no longer to be viewed as a youngster with potential and that it's time to up his game here and now.

I think Barkley is incredibly weak minded and probably no approach will turn him into the player Martinez tried to convince us he's possible of becoming. Can see him becoming more of the next Osman than the next Gazza.

he needs carrot and stick, hopefully he is getting carrot behind the scenes as he is only getting stick in public

I'll turn that around: Koeman is a manager of 17 years standing. He must know as elsewhere that going at your players in public will eventually sow the seeds of a poor dressing room. Which is why nearly all other managers keep their grids shut in front pf the media and dont target individual players.

"Nearly" all other managers. Yep, apart from the most successful ones our shores have seen in the past 20 years

IMG_3733.webp

IMG_3734.webp

Not always. Ferguson publicly fell out with a lot of high profile players such as Keane and Beckham, what made him so great was that he was able to replace them and continue to build great teams.

Ferguson seemed to be in the minority of football managers that if you pack your midfield with footballers like Scholes or Carrick rather than running machines or crabs then your strikers actually score goals and you win stuff. Amazing really, yet manager after manager keep trying to argue he was wrong and three defensive mids is the way forward.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/everton-no2-erwin-koeman-insists-12050629

Everton No2 Erwin Koeman insists "very critical" approach only route to success

And Everton assistant says Blues must be 100% every game to avoid defeat
GettyImages-610087724.jpg

Ronald Koeman and his assisstant manager and brother Erwin Koeman prepare for some harsh words at Bournemouth
Everton assistant boss Erwin Koeman admits he and his brother are “very critical” of the squad - but insist it’s necessary.

And the Blues No2 says the Premier League is so unforgiving that Everton have to play at full pelt to ensure they don’t lose.

Koeman, assistant to his brother Ronald at Goodison, was discussing his start to life at the club at Everton’s special fan event on Tuesday night, which replaced the postponed end of season awards in May.

And he has revealed the exacting standards he and his brother demand of the Blues players.

“I have to admit that we were spoilt at Southampton but Everton’s facilities are fantastic for training,” Erwin said.

“The training is maybe a little bit different to what the boys are used to.

“We have a good squad and we will do better.

“We are very critical as a technical staff but you have to be very critical because everyday you can do better: the players, the technical staff, that is our vision.”

JS97952362.jpg

Phil Jagielka (L) and Erwin Koeman during training
He added: “This is the biggest competition in the world because the best players are here so there is a lot of competition.

“If you play not at 100% then you will lose the game.”

How Ronald and Erwin Koeman tick - by Len Koeman

Erwin joined Ronald in the move from Southampton this summer and says he has enjoyed living in the city centre and mixing with Blues fans.

“We have come from the South to the Northwest and I am settled now in Liverpool in the city centre I am one of the Evertonians,” Koeman said.

“Until today, the weather was fantastic but today, for the first time, I have had long trousers on, gloves and a hat but it is October 18th so it has not been bad until now.”

JS96473856.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back