Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree.

He is probably well aware that every other approach with Barkley has failed badly; be that outstanding praise after great performances, outstanding praise after awful performances, ad-hoc glowing comments suggesting he'll be one of the best England players in history (Martinez), being held back and sent out on loan to prove himself (Moyes) and now this season also being withdrew at half time after a horrific performance and kept out of the starting XI (Koeman).

Seeing as he's been no better than a bog-standard-middle-of-the-table midfielder for the past two seasons, it's clear something different needs to happen to give him the kick up the arse he needs. I definitely agree with Koeman putting it out there that he is no longer to be viewed as a youngster with potential and that it's time to up his game here and now.

I think Barkley is incredibly weak minded and probably no approach will turn him into the player Martinez tried to convince us he's possible of becoming. Can see him becoming more of the next Osman than the next Gazza.

Have to laugh at the notion Barkley is some basket case who's failing badly. All his stats in his career for a 23 year old stack up with the best in his position that's been in the PL; his tally of 8 goals and 8 assists last season was very very respectable...and he';d have done better if the downing of tools in the last 10 games or so hadn't happened.

The lad did ok starting the season in terms of form and scored in the opener against Spurs earning us a point.

He's an international with 22 caps and any 'big' financial elite team would have him in a heartbeat.

I'd suggest that the real problem here is that this manager doesn't fancy what he has to offer for his particular approach and he's intent on portraying him as a misfit at every opportunity so he can unproblematically shift him out next summer.

Have to laugh at the notion Barkley is some basket case who's failing badly. All his stats in his career for a 23 year old stack up with the best in his position that's been in the PL; his tally of 8 goals and 8 assists last season was very very respectable...and he';d have done better if the downing of tools in the last 10 games or so hadn't happened.

The lad did ok starting the season in terms of form and scored in the opener against Spurs earning us a point.

He's an international with 22 caps and any 'big' financial elite team would have him in a heartbeat.

I'd suggest that the real problem here is that this manager doesn't fancy what he has to offer for his particular approach and he's intent on portraying him as a misfit at every opportunity so he can unproblematically shift him out next summer.

i hope this isnt true, he has started nearly all our games so he clearly values him...i think he is frustrated that he isnt getting more from him, i do worry at his appraoch tho

i hope koeman isnt falling into the trap of high profile players becoming managers and then not understanding why their players cant do what they could...we will see

That's exactly what he does. The Dutch footy coach with a gob on him and the absolute certainty that what he has to say is golden and not the utter BS it is in reality on most occasions.

I couldn't imagine going through life getting this angry at such insignificant things. Must be hard mate.

Koeman clearly rates Barkley, and is working him hard behind the scenes. It's going to be good for him in the long run. Relax.

See, this would hold more water if anyone had shown an interest in him at some point.

I couldn't imagine going through life getting this angry at such insignificant things. Must be hard mate.

Koeman clearly rates Barkley, and is working him hard behind the scenes. It's going to be good for him in the long run. Relax.
Why is it anger? It's a statement of fact: Dutch football people DO have that attitude that they play to the gallery with.

I bet @Dutch Toffee wouldn't have any objections to that statement.

i hope this isnt true, he has started nearly all our games so he clearly values him...i think he is frustrated that he isnt getting more from him, i do worry at his appraoch tho

i hope koeman isnt falling into the trap of high profile players becoming managers and then not understanding why their players cant do what they could...we will see
He doesn't have a clue how to handle Barkley it seems.

Barkley does seem to be fragile mentally. The only way he can answer his critics is on the pitch. The next few months could well be career defining for him, if he is deemed surplus to requirements by Koeman, he won't go to any club that we consider to be amongst our peers or above. I'm just not sure what the right approach is with him. It is a worrying sign for him that in the midst of a relative paucity of quality options in midfield, he was dropped for one of our biggest games of the year.

My hunch is that he is not going to hit the heights consistently enough, though undoubtedly capable as we have seen, and the realisation of that may have a knock-on effect in reducing still further his confidence and performance levels.

If he has it in him to improve, to be consistent and reliable, and to emerge into a strong character on the pitch, we need to see evidence of this in the next few months or not at all. With the supposed influx of transfer money, and Koemans demanding standards, things may be aligning in such a way that he and we will have to accept a reduced and less prominent role for Ross, and/or his eventual departure.

He could do with a bit of that diplomacy, that's for sure.
That wasn't diplomacy, That was a lost soul spewing out Bullshit because he did not have a clue how to handle the situation he was in. Koeman is telling it as it is, that way there can be no comebacks in the future

I'll turn that around: Koeman is a manager of 17 years standing. He must know as elsewhere that going at your players in public will eventually sow the seeds of a poor dressing room. Which is why nearly all other managers keep their grids shut in front pf the media and dont target individual players.
It wasn't said with negative intent so I highly doubt it will have an effect on dressing room morale. You read it and sounds worse than what it is. He will more than likely start tomorrow, I'm sure Ross is man enough to take the opportunity Koeman will give him and show he's got what it takes to perform for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back