Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinel

Dave - this is boring. He's been here 8 games and he's started absolutely fine, generally speaking. He's proving that 11th isn't the new 6th after all so far. Results are fine, football is ok, defence has been very solid, players look arsed, atmosphere at the ground is a little bit better than it was for most of the 3 years under your mate and he's signed some decent players (or Walsh has - I get confused on this bit now).

Anyway, point being that I think after you dug your heels in so far on the last guy, you were going to try and find fault with anything with the new one and that's exactly what appears to be happening.

Koeman may well only be here two or three years, but that's more or less normal these days. That's a mentality thing we have to get our heads round and is something I've struggled with a bit as well. At the end of the day, all that matters is that he gets results. Results is what cost Bobby M his job, results are what will distinguish Koeman as a better/worse manager than him. Forget the rest of it, Martinez was selling us a vision of the future at the cost of the present and it was a price we ultimately decided as a fanbase and club that we were unwilling to pay. As long as Koeman delivers results in the here and now (which he's doing ok on so far), there should be few complaints as we have other people at the club who have to worry about the future.

Given the choice between 11th place finishes and watching us ship goals all over the show but passing the ball at every opportunity or 6th place with less aesthetically pleasing football, I'm on the 6th place bus every day of the week and I'm pretty sure most of our fans would agree.

Bob's gone, let it go. Ron's in - he wasn't the one who sacked your mate, he'll be great, save the hate, let it abate, don't let it agitate. Peace out

Very good post.

You're not having him as he took Bob Martins chair mate.

We could have got Mourinho and you'd still find reason to call him.

You're now constantly striving to find a negative in anything that Koeman does or says, and everyone gets why.

12 months you said, you're on his back after 8 games lol

David being angry about anything Koeman says or does

View attachment 30162

The rest of the Everton fan base

View attachment 30163

Still think it's a bit odd to criticize what Koeman has said about Barkley. It's spot on. He's not a youngster. He's been coddled for the last 3 years and stagnated. It's up to him(something most people here have said) whether he wants to be a great player or not.

Kinel

Dave - this is boring. He's been here 8 games and he's started absolutely fine, generally speaking. He's proving that 11th isn't the new 6th after all so far. Results are fine, football is ok, defence has been very solid, players look arsed, atmosphere at the ground is a little bit better than it was for most of the 3 years under your mate and he's signed some decent players (or Walsh has - I get confused on this bit now).

Anyway, point being that I think after you dug your heels in so far on the last guy, you were going to try and find fault with anything with the new one and that's exactly what appears to be happening.

Koeman may well only be here two or three years, but that's more or less normal these days. That's a mentality thing we have to get our heads round and is something I've struggled with a bit as well. At the end of the day, all that matters is that he gets results. Results is what cost Bobby M his job, results are what will distinguish Koeman as a better/worse manager than him. Forget the rest of it, Martinez was selling us a vision of the future at the cost of the present and it was a price we ultimately decided as a fanbase and club that we were unwilling to pay. As long as Koeman delivers results in the here and now (which he's doing ok on so far), there should be few complaints as we have other people at the club who have to worry about the future.

Given the choice between 11th place finishes and watching us ship goals all over the show but passing the ball at every opportunity or 6th place with less aesthetically pleasing football, I'm on the 6th place bus every day of the week and I'm pretty sure most of our fans would agree.

Bob's gone, let it go. Ron's in - he wasn't the one who sacked your mate, he'll be great, save the hate, let it abate, don't let it agitate. Peace out

Dave the iconoclast :)

I support him fully as the manager getting results. Hes a good manager and one who I wanted (if you feel like checking through the archives here) as Martinez's successor even before the latter was sacked.

I just dont go in for needless hero-worship or feel the need to withhold what I believe is justifiable criticism on individual issues. I'm not a Kopite and therefore I dont treat managers as untouchable, always-to-be worshipped idols.

Maybe so. I dont think so.

I do think he needs to show a bit more humility about this club. Apart from the obligatory "Everton are a big club" stuff, he comes across like this is his stepping stone to somewhere else...when he's achieved absolutely f.a. in the managerial game. He actually comes across to me like he's irritated to be here...like he was expecting a massive CL playing club to step in for his talents after getting 7th and 6th place for S'ton. Deluded if so.

I dont like his attitude to some of these players; I dont like his off-handedness in press conferences; I dont like his "here's the reason I'm not living in your City"' comments (who gives a flying one, live where the 'kin hell you like and shut it); I dont like his football thus far...it's defensive and boring and cowardly for the most part.
To be honest mate, i think for once you are missing the point of why we hired Koeman.

I don't believe for one second he hired him to be a manager for years to come and win the lot. I think he is limited somewhat as a manager as well, again in the moyes style of limited, not going to take a group of mid table players, splash the odd bit of talent and expect to beat the money clubs.

However, i believe we hired Koeman for very basic reasons. His job is to come in, make the team solid again and hard to beat and get us into europe again. If he does that then job done as far as he is concerned, the better he does then better for him.

you say he is using us as a stepping stone? He tends not to stay for more than 2-3 years at a club anyway, i would fully expect him to go in 2-3 years, all evidence points to that. But if he gets us back into europa at very least whilst he is here then the club has a much better standing than before koeman arrived.

I just dont go in for needless hero-worship or feel the need to withhold what I believe is justifiable criticism on individual issues. I'm not a Kopite and therefore I dont treat managers as untouchable, always-to-be worshipped idols.

Shocked-Face.gif

I support him fully as the manager getting results. Hes a good manager and one who I wanted (if you feel like checking through the archives here) as Martinez's successor even before the latter was sacked.

Dave, in case you think otherwise, I was praising you by calling you an iconoclast.

Someone has to keep the boys whom are getting carried away with what have been very underwhelming performances this season so far in check :)

And no better man than your good self ;)

"...when he's achieved absolutely f.a. in the managerial game." - The man is literally the most decorated manager we have ever appointed in our history. Not even to mention what he achieved as a player.

"He actually comes across to me like he's irritated to be here...like he was expecting a massive CL playing club to step in for his talents" - Had one year left at S'ton. Could easily have seen it out and waited for a CL club, possibly Arsenal. He was sold the project by Moshiri and wanted to be here.

I don't even know where to begin with this last paragraph. The quote you've made up about where he has chosen to live, is the first instance I have encountered of someone taking (or feigning, which you probably are) offence to this. You're welcome to your opinion on his attitude and his football, but the vast majority of us much prefer a straight talking manager who can back up his words, and the vast majority of us are enjoying watching Everton be competitive again.
Most decorated manager in our history on appointment? That really is a stretch. Based on what, some Dutch titles? On a par almost with the SPL - so I'd say even Walter Smith outranks him in that respect...and I wouldn't swap an FA Cup win for three Eredivise titles and shedload of Scottish titles either, so he's well down the pecking order on that too. He was a decorated player, no question. But as a manager his major palmares coming into this club were his two top 7 finishes at S'ton.

And the reason he left S'ton was that he was under massive pressure to sign a new deal. No way S'ton would have let the matter wind down into the final season. He waited a while to see if Everton would be joined in the race for his signature and the fact is no one better than us was out there looking for his services...which is good, as he is a good manager and an organiser. I just reserve the right not to bow from the friggin waist to every word he utters or action he takes.

Dave, in case you think otherwise, I was praising you by calling you an iconoclast.

Someone has to keep the boys whom are getting carried away with what have been very underwhelming performances this season so far in check :)

Sorry mate, I multi-quoted you by mistake.

no he's not he's ranting at Koeman at every opportunity

To be honest mate, i think for once you are missing the point of why we hired Koeman.

I don't believe for one second he hired him to be a manager for years to come and win the lot. I think he is limited somewhat as a manager as well, again in the moyes style of limited, not going to take a group of mid table players, splash the odd bit of talent and expect to beat the money clubs.

However, i believe we hired Koeman for very basic reasons. His job is to come in, make the team solid again and hard to beat and get us into europe again. If he does that then job done as far as he is concerned, the better he does then better for him.

you say he is using us as a stepping stone? He tends not to stay for more than 2-3 years at a club anyway, i would fully expect him to go in 2-3 years, all evidence points to that. But if he gets us back into europa at very least whilst he is here then the club has a much better standing than before koeman arrived.
Fair comment. I accept that. I do support a manager being brought in to enforce discipline again. That might sound contradictory given what I said about his treatment of Barkley, but it's a matter of style rather than the action involved. I cant abide managers grandstanding in public and lording it over their players. Just keep it in-house and we're good.

Most decorated manager in our history on appointment? That really is a stretch. Based on what, some Dutch titles? On a par almost with the SPL - so I'd say even Walter Smith outranks him in that respect...and I wouldn't swap an FA Cup win for three Eredivise titles and shedload of Scottish titles either, so he's well down the pecking order on that too. He was a decorated player, no question. But as a manager his major palmares coming into this club were his two top 7 finishes at S'ton.

And the reason he left S'ton was that he was under massive pressure to sign a new deal. No way S'ton would have let the matter wind down into the final season. He waited a while to see if Everton would be joined in the race for his signature and the fact is no one better than us was out there looking for his services...which is good, as he is a good manager and an organiser. I just reserve the right not to bow from the friggin waist to every word he utters or action he takes.

Would you swap an FA Cup for a Copa del Rey? Because
they're the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back