Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obvs clev coming on is not a good idea...but why not instead of barry?
Think he didn't trust the referee not to send off Gueye who was on a yellow, and who could blame him as the referee was as bad as I've seen an official in a long, long time. I don't have a big problem with that sub, those players still ought to have been able to at least take a point. Disgraceful spineless collapse.

The defence does still have issues (not as major as last season obviously, but they are still failing when needed most) and fitness seems to be getting there.

I think we are ignoring the major issue here (in my opinion) and it was the same last season. Killing teams off.

Our attack is quite frankly rubbish. We constantly attack teams yet do bugger all with it in the final third, we bomb forward and then stop allowing opponents to get bodies in the way, then we ping it around a bit before putting it out for a goal kick or whatever. We lack some major guile an inventiveness in the final third and it has cost us for a while now.

It's lost its fluidity up top, the start of last season under Bobby we looked scary going forward. I don't know if he's more concernedwith them getting back and positional sense, defensive wise, first which maybe stagnating the attack.

I think he'll get there, I'm not to concerned

Martinez first season, was a blueprint of how to play football, good defence(still drilled from Moyes) and fluid attacking football, I can't understand why this formula is not followed.

Why does it have to be one or the other?
If it was that easy then Martinez wouldn't of led us to our first back to back bottom half finishes since Walter Smith.

Martinez first season, was a blueprint of how to play football, good defence(still drilled from Moyes) and fluid attacking football, I can't understand why this formula is not followed.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Basically, if Lukaku scores, we win, or at least draw. If he isn't scoring, we struggle. Last season he played well for the first half of the season which partly compensated for our defensive weaknesses. When he stopped scoring, we fell apart. Same this season - when he scores things look ok. When he doesn't, it's bad.

Being so dependent on one player isn't good for any team.

If it was that easy then Martinez wouldn't of led us to our first back to back bottom half finishes since Walter Smith.

No mate, because he stopped drilling the defence and so that side of it fell away. That's the point, if he had a proper defensive coach and drilled them like they were used to, fitness levels high and kept his attacking formula then he would have done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back