Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
And id wager theyve played better teams than us....our start has been very favourable.

If we played the bottom 5 teams and were 6th then would you be as happy? were not far off that you know?

City have played 4 of the bottom 5 teams
Arsenal have played 3 of the bottom 5 teams
Liverpool have played 2 of the bottom 5 teams
Spurs have played 2 of the bottom 5 teams
Chelsea have played 3 of the bottom 5 teams
United have played 2 of the bottom 5 teams

We have played 3 of the bottom 5 teams - which basically is about the average for the top 7 teams (subbing United for Watford in that list)

City have currently played none of the current top 5 teams, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and us have all palyed 2 against the top 5 teams

Then really mate, could argue that both City and Arsenal have had easier schedules so far, Arsenal have had a very similar schedule and only United and the rs have had more difficult schedules than any of the other teams

In short, no we havent had a particularly easier schedule to the average of the top 7 teams really

Can you not remember your stance when Martinez was appointed, that you were happy to drop a few places in his first year whilst he settled in?

Why's Koeman different?
It's not about places for me. I've always said it makes no difference to me if we're 5th or 15th. It get's you nothing worth having.

It's all about winning matches in some style. We did that over a season for the first time since the 80s the season RM took over. It hasn;t been seen since, but that's no reason not to demand it.

I dont see that now either. It's a good start (although defeat next week will make it pretty much average - we're still at that point) but the play is for the most part gruesome to watch. Yes, we did well in patches today and against Sunderland second half; but all told it's not a football method we should subscribe to.

It's not about places for me. I've always said it makes no difference to me if we're 5th or 15th. It get's you nothing worth having.

It's all about winning matches in some style. We did that over a season for the first time since the 80s the season RM took over. It hasn;t been seen since, but that's no reason not to demand it.

I dont see that now either. It's a good start (although defeat next week will make it pretty much average - we're still at that point) but the play is for the most part gruesome to watch. Yes, we did well in patches today and against Sunderland second half; but all told it's not a football method we should subscribe to.

So you would rather finish 15th playing good football (like say Wigan used to do) rather than 5th playing the football were currently playing?
Do you realise a large aspect of football is not conceding goals; something we did for fun under previous management.

City have played 4 of the bottom 5 teams
Arsenal have played 3 of the bottom 5 teams
Liverpool have played 2 of the bottom 5 teams
Spurs have played 2 of the bottom 5 teams
Chelsea have played 3 of the bottom 5 teams
United have played 2 of the bottom 5 teams

We have played 3 of the bottom 5 teams - which basically is about the average for the top 7 teams (subbing United for Watford in that list)

City have currently played none of the current top 5 teams, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and us have all palyed 2 against the top 5 teams

Then really mate, could argue that both City and Arsenal have had easier schedules so far, Arsenal have had a very similar schedule and only United and the rs have had more difficult schedules than any of the other teams

In short, no we havent had a particularly easier schedule to the average of the top 7 teams really

a point for us against any if those sides like spurs and city is a good result....for them vs one another a good result is a win.

all im saying is that after 10 games were 6th...after 19 games and playing

utd
chelsea
rs
arsenal
southampton
watford
etc

lets see where we are...i dont see us holding 6th...id say 8-10th.

Dave i know your memory isn't that bad, in the 80's a hell of a lot of our wins game through substance over style - very rarely would what we played in the 80's be described as beautiful by most neutral observers (as most of the winning teams back then would not be desribed as either), btw did you watch the Chelsea game this avvie? hardly beautiful but effective - same as against United, same as pretty much we where today

As fr places, well would argue that 5th is no different to 15th a hell of a lot, european footy is worthwhilst, we after all have hardly a trophy room full of them have we? and totally ridiculous for any team to turn its nose up at it outside of those who are basically year in year out CL teams

a point for us against any if those sides like spurs and city is a good result....for them vs one another a good result is a win.

utd
chelsea
rs
arsenal
southampton
watford
etc

Who will overtake us to place us down to 8th - 10th?

Dave i know your memory isn't that bad, in the 80's a hell of a lot of our wins game through substance over style - very rarely would what we played in the 80's be described as beautiful by most neutral observers (as most of the winning teams back then would not be desribed as either), btw did you watch the Chelsea game this avvie? hardly beautiful but effective - same as against United, same as pretty much we where today

As fr places, well would argue that 5th is no different to 15th a hell of a lot, european footy is worthwhilst, we after all have hardly a trophy room full of them have we? and totally ridiculous for any team to turn its nose up at it outside of those who are basically year in year out CL teams

If my memory serves me right, our last trophy win was backs against the wall, with the dogs of war? Bet Dave didnt celebrate that night.

So you would rather finish 15th playing good football (like say Wigan used to do) rather than 5th playing the football were currently playing?
Do you realise a large aspect of football is not conceding goals; something we did for fun under previous management.
I'm not saying I WANT to finish 15th, I'm saying it's all the same. If you like the EL to sap the energy from your PL campaign then I suppose 5th (or 6th some years) is worthwhile finishing on.

From a point of view of style we are too cautious. Watch next week when Koeman parks the bus again. I dont like that and I'll never accept it as a style of playing football for Everton. Koeman might have his priorities in terms of keeping it tight and getting to a certain points total for each blocks of games, but I dont have to like it. Style is very important. It;s an entertainment industry and we barely do that with our play.

utd
chelsea
rs
arsenal
southampton
watford
etc

Hmmmm, so Mourinhos entire strategy since he's been a manager of getiing a point as a target against any rival away from home is flawed then mate? as basically thats what he sets out to do and always has done that

City are currently top and have not played Chelsea, Spurs, the rs, Arsenal mate, the teams 5-7th they played and got a win a draw and a loss against.

as for 8-10th, besides (possibly) United, who the hell below us is a team we should expect to finish above us, never mind in your estimation 1-3 of those teams fpor us to finish 8-10th?

I'm not saying I WANT to finish 15th, I'm saying it's all the same. If you like the EL to sap the energy from your PL campaign then I suppose 5th (or 4th some years) is worthwhile finishing on.

From a point of view of a style we are too cautious. Watch next week when Koeman parks the bus again. I dont like that and I'll never accept it as a style of playing football for Everton. Koeman might have his priorities in terms of keeping it tight and getting to a certain points total for each blocks of fames, but I dont have to like it. Style is very important. It;s an entertainment industry and we barely do that with our play.

If I remember right, Saints won 3 0 last year parking the bus at Chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back