Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, its a sport. That folk around the world enjoy watching.

Until footballers have to carry an Equity Card like actors do, it is not part of the entertainment industry.

i think you will find that if viewing figures continue to decrease then so will tv money leaving players to move to spain.

Lets have it right.

I bet more people watched Utd v City in the week (probably the most boring game I have watched all year) than our game today.

How many times have the 'top teams' shut each other out.

Well that over hyped Red Monday tripe fits that as well.

Awful, awful game, between arguably 2 of the biggest global brands in world football. Football is, by and large, not entertaining. It is absorbing, it is escapism in that it doesnt really mean that much, but then it can define your mood for days.

The result is all that matters, to all but a few hipsters.

Think about it. How often do folk watch the same film, read the same book, or listen to the same album, time after time? Thats entertainment. I enjoyed what I saw of todays match, and will look forward to seeing it later.

But will I ever watch it again? No.

Looking at who teams have played and upcoming fixture runs ect. ultimately means nothing. You should always concentrate on the next game only. The only indication of how we are doing will be league position. We may have only played two of the top seven, and we may have a difficult run towards Christmas. So far, we sit 6th only 4 points off our next opponent Chelsea, who we play next. You look at the table and see that Koeman is matching his current season target.

By worrying or being particular about the levels of opposition we have to play leads to underestimation of ''supposed" weaker opposition and too much respect for 'stronger' opposition. Regardless we should go out to win every game. The next game is always the most important.

Awful, awful game, between arguably 2 of the biggest global brands in world football. Football is, by and large, not entertaining. It is absorbing, it is escapism in that it doesnt really mean that much, but then it can define your mood for days.

Think about it. How often do folk watch the same film, read the same book, or listen to the same album, time after time? Thats entertainment. I enjoyed what I saw of todays match, and will look forward to seeing it later.

It's pretty obvious that to 99% of football fans that results come over style.

And it's only the other 1% of trolls who think Danny Murphy calling us "The Enterainers" after we lose at home to Stoke is an achievement up there with 9 league titles.

So true.

Come away with a last minute winner from a dull nil nil and your more happy than a four all draw. FACT.

It's not a zero sum game mate. You can win/have trophies and stylish football.

Cant think of any side ever who have won a league in England without being good to watch. Cups less so, as Joe Royle showed.

You can be a stylish side, and win nowt. But if you combine the style, with the steel and grit, you have an outside chance. As Martinez very nearly showed us in S1.

Roy Keane and Bryan Robson say hi.

I honesty think I'm an alien at times when I read stuff like that ^^^.

How can football not be there to entertain?!

It's the same as when some say that they dont care what we play like as long as we get a result. I've never been able to get my head around that thinking. It suggests that scraping a win in a dull game every week is an objective. It goes against the grain of all I see football as being: the quest for an art form that's beautiful to watch. I think some believe that's what other teams and special players are for, and we just crack on watching tosh from Everton. Well I dont, I want Everton to be talked about as a great footballing team and one that all football fans want their team to aspire to.
If you want Koeman to build a great EVERTON football team, then 1st you must give him time to put in place his ideas. After the last 2 seasons he has had to improve the fitness of our squad dramatically and implement a defensive strategy that they all adhere to. When he has this sorted to a level that he is happy with, then i am sure we will see an improvement in the quality of football. If you want to build something spectacular it has to be on solid foundations

Cant think of any side ever who have won a league in England without being good to watch. Cups less so, as Joe Royle showed.

You can be a stylish side, and win nowt. But if you combine the style, with the steel and grit, you have an outside chance. As Martinez very nearly showed us in S1.

Roy Keane and Bryan Robson say hi.
Set out to play attacking football and see how far that gets you. If you win trophies - great. If you dont - try again with another manager and players.

My take on football in a nutshell.

That isn't purity by the way, it's a p.o.v. that sees professional football as a thing that takes you to a different place. Anything short of that you can get down the local park watching the Red Lion v The White Horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back