Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could care less what they think. They have no history or culture as football supporters.

Claiming their title win is not an achievement is just daft. It's insane.

If we ever win the league, are you seriously going to question whether it's actually a good achievement? I usually agree with you Dave but you've lost me here.

I can't criticise much about Koeman's approach. Actually, barely anything - he's done very well with the tools at his disposal.

What I can note is the the movement in the final third when the midfield have the ball is absolutely shocking at times. I think that's because he's seen just how bad we were under Martinez in terms of organisation and, particularly, getting caught out of position, that the first priority for the team now is to start a game solidly and don't be out of the game by the hour mark - so the whole side seems allergic to making a move out of position until later in the game.

By and large, that has worked, but it has meant that we've looked pretty unspectacular this season because everything is rigid. But it was the right thing to do by the manager coming in to work with that squad.

I don't believe we're necessarily playing to what Koeman envisages in the long term, and we'll probably see a different Everton this time next season, due to the transfer window, increased fitness and confidence, and so on.

I can't criticise much about Koeman's approach. Actually, barely anything - he's done very well with the tools at his disposal.

What I can note is the the movement in the final third when the midfield have the ball is absolutely shocking at times. I think that's because he's seen just how bad we were under Martinez in terms of organisation and, particularly, getting caught out of position, that the first priority for the team now is to start a game solidly and don't be out of the game by the hour mark - so the whole side seems allergic to making a move out of position until later in the game.

By and large, that has worked, but it has meant that we've looked pretty unspectacular this season because everything is rigid. But it was the right thing to do by the manager coming in to work with that squad.

I don't believe we're necessarily playing to what Koeman envisages in the long term, and we'll probably see a different Everton this time next season, due to the transfer window, increased fitness and confidence, and so on.

Good stuff

I agree that it'll take time. I've said loads of times that Koeman (who I wanted for the job prior to Martinez's sacking, btw) shouldn't feel any pressure for at least the second season to get it spot on.

All I'm saying is that this isn't what we want as a style. This cant be the finished product in that respect.

It obviously isn't mate, we have players learning an entire new style of play who need the time to adapt or prove they can't and in which case will need replacing, we also need a genuine transfer period with us having a settled team doing the business rather than trying to fix the recruitment structure whilst bringing players in. Walsh is here now and Koeman and both wil l have we can hope settled and will be much more able to conduct proper deals than the summer gone.

We will never be gung ho under koeman, but we will over time become more like his prior team but with a better team and ability to recruit due to improved status and financial backing.

That's not enough on its own.

Leicester are a case in point. They are the ugliest team in history to win a major prize. Our RU spot in the 80s was more admirable that that nonsense they played last season even though they went one place better.

So essentially you're saying here is that stylishly finishing runners up is something you would prefer to winning the league in a less aesthetically pleasing manner.

That's some stylish popcorn right there Dave.

But ok, this is football.

Things will improve, hes making us more solid as a unit, then in time we will sign some options further forward, maybe somebody like Strootman, Witsel, somebody to drive from midfield, somebody with a bit more energy and drive than Barry, totally not a dig at Gaz Baz, he does his job, just a different option, BESIC!!!!!!!! Then he cant be happy with Superkev, you know me, I love the boy and hes playing with energy, but its not working for him and as you pointed out in the SuperYannick thread, the other wingers arent great.

And of course another option for Ross and Ron, who both showed their best sides in the 2nd half, but ya know, its all about options.

So its pretty much what I wanted in the summer, bar another wing option a number 8, a number 9, a number 10.

It should always aspire to be so.

agree if you're neutral watching some random match or tournament. Football is the beautiful game and the more beauty & excitement the better.

disagree if you're following your team. very different emotional stakes here.

Following Everton is like following your son through a never-ending series of exams, sometimes he kicks arse and you feel ace for him, other times he can barely muster the will and you feel deflated...

...unless he passes anyway, you'd take that over a stylish fail anytime.

Ok, I will honestly bite, how would you set us up? What tactics would you use, in case your not aware, this is what Ronny does :

GK
RB - CB - CB - LB
DM - DM
RW---- ACM ---- LW
ST
Its a fluid 4-3-2-1 when defending, once we break we play a 4-2-3-1, sometimes he switches it around and makes it a 4-3-3 and of course he does enjoy the 3-4-3. We utilise the wings with our wingers and we play fast fluid football, everybody is expected to press and work hard.

So what would you do differently David?
The 'kin state of that ^^^.

It's not about formations it's about transitions and how quickly you get up and into gear with them. At the moment we are terrible at it and resort to balls out from deep to Bolasie and hope Lukaku is in a jovial mood to get along side him and support him. Watch Liverpool yesterday. They were superb at ramming Palace's attempts to get at them down their throat by carrying it from deep and by a lot of movement from the front three. They make us look pedestrian and clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back