Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see the last few months that way mate. He had injuries to contend with a lot of the third season and he patched up a defence that was badly affected. And Deulofeu was never a nailed on starter at any time in his three seasons here. I wouldn't see Lennon's signing as anything but positive. He turns defence into attack a lot better than Deulofeu and that's why he was brought in. RM retained that core belief in controlling the ball and the game and only took out Stones for the lad's own good in the end.

This notion that he didn't do that is alien to me. Wasn't Martinez hung drawn and quartered because he was said to be too stubborn to move away from core principles?

As for where we lacked squad wise: I agree with you, they were positions that needed new players in...which is why I've said earlier that this was Martinez's big failure: his reluctance to have a clean sweep of the players he inherited off Moyes...something he should have done when his stock was sky high at the end of his first season here.

I'll always give Martinez (or any other manager) credit for trying to play the right way. They have the instincts I like to see. Go for broke, take all three points. If it doesn't work out then you might lose and you take that...and you might even lose your job. And that is something I'm sure Martinez factored in and accepted.

Could not agree with you more here mate.

I dont want him to get a team to defend, I want him to get a back four to defend and leave the rest to attack. If he does that then job done. Right now that back four are as bad as ever.

Takes more than the back 4 to defend. Leave 4 defending, and the opposition commits 5 and you're outnumbered. The best outfits defend as a team, and everyone has to be drilled to do this, as in every game there's a spell when you're under the cosh and you've got to defend through it.

Seems like you'd carry on with the Over-commiting of players, and lack of organisation of Bobby. I for one, am made up to see us keeping clean sheets and look like we can hang on to a lead, as haven't seen that for 2 years.

A successful manager needs to be confident in his ability and an inspiration to others, but ultimately it is down to man management, game management and press management. In the bitter end, RM failed on all three counts. Not saying Koeman is a faultless saviour, or a miracle worker. He has, however, demonstrated some positive attributes. For example, he is not afraid to drop under-performing players, regardless of bankroll or reputation. He is flexible enough to make tactical changes mid-game. He does not talk nonsense in his interviews. Just these three things alone give me some hope.

Martinez, thankfully is gone. A naïve man who chatted unadulterated wham.
Koeman appears the exact opposite. The lack of movement amongst our attacking players is my biggest issue at the present but I am thinking that RK is addressing the more pressing issue of not conceding goals before he attends to the offence issues.
Is Koeman 'all that'?... too early to say imo. But what every Evertonian can agree on is that Martinez had to go.

I didn't see the last few months that way mate. He had injuries to contend with a lot of the third season and he patched up a defence that was badly affected. And Deulofeu was never a nailed on starter at any time in his three seasons here. I wouldn't see Lennon's signing as anything but positive. He turns defence into attack a lot better than Deulofeu and that's why he was brought in. RM retained that core belief in controlling the ball and the game and only took out Stones for the lad's own good in the end.

This notion that he didn't do that is alien to me. Wasn't Martinez hung drawn and quartered because he was said to be too stubborn to move away from core principles?

As for where we lacked squad wise: I agree with you, they were positions that needed new players in...which is why I've said earlier that this was Martinez's big failure: his reluctance to have a clean sweep of the players he inherited off Moyes...something he should have done when his stock was sky high at the end of his first season here.

I'll always give Martinez (or any other manager) credit for trying to play the right way. They have the instincts I like to see. Go for broke, take all three points. If it doesn't work out then you might lose and you take that...and you might even lose your job. And that is something I'm sure Martinez factored in and accepted.
Or you might get relegated , c'est la vie. Bit disappointing for us fans like.

That last paragraph. That's what got Wigan relegated mate.

So you'd presumably give credit to Rodgers in the Chelsea and palace games mate, where every other person thought he was a massive dolt

...and it's what won them a cup they would never have seen in a million years otherwise.

Can you not see it as a weakness? If something isnt working then you need to have an alternative option, or be pragmatic..

If 'style' is getting you relegated then your clearly a poor manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back