Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's face it, Martinez had one very good run with us during a season where the overall calibre of the League was pretty low (So low that LIVERPOOL under Brendan Rodgers could actually mount an actual title challenge FFS) and even then he bottled our push for Top 4 in games we should have won. Moyes would have been pilloried for getting us so close to a Top 4 finish only to throw it away against Palace like Martinez did

Just look at the gap between the top 7/8 teams that season and everyone else and then look at what happened once everyone had a chance to both strengthen in 14/15 and suss out Martinez's tactics. I argue that 13/14 was the aberration and both 14/15 and 15/16 were the norms, especially when you look at Martinez's Wigan side

Koeman has to deal with a much more competitive League, and though he's hardly set the world on fire he's given a solid enough account of himself thus far. Lot's of work still to do of course, and the people shouting for more exciting togger and boss tekkers may eventually get their wish once he's fully settled in, but as of right now he's going to have a tough season of righting the ship after two horrific League campaigns, getting the players fit again and also getting them well drilled defensively after years of poor defensive coaching

All being well, he'll get us fighting for European places again and leave a good foundation for his whoever his replacement ends up being
Ray Wilkins was a guest on SSN yesterday morning reviewing the weekend football. He was quite complimentary of Koeman as a manager but also Everton as a club, which surprised me as I've always found him to be quite dismissive of us in the past.

Basically he said that if Koeman can achieve European qualification at Southampton, then he can achieve at least that at a bigger club like Everton with a much better squad at his disposal.

When asked if we could challenge for the league he said possibly, but that we're more likely to be challenging for CL place, especially if we strengthen in January.

Praise indeed from an unlikely source.

You said Koeman has won nothing of importance in the game. The Copa Del Rey not an important trophy?

Mickey Mouse trophy mate. All the big teams play their second strings. I mean, just look at some of the most recent winners of it.

IMG_3786.webp

You said Koeman has won nothing of importance in the game. The Copa Del Rey not an important trophy?
No, it's not.

Even if it was I'd still say that he has nothing like the success that would engender the type of OTT praise he gets on here.

He's decent and will get us a couple of top 8 seasons before leaving us, IMO.

But you made it seem like Martinez was a genius for getting us to the semi final. That and the FA Cup was all you used to claim that we were having a good season last year.
No, not a genius mate, just a good manager. Which is what he was and is. But you keep calling him a fraud. Lol.

As well as that, let's look at the FA Cup, and how easy it was for United to win last season. The worst United side in decades won it after having the pleasure of playing Crystal Palace in the final, and beating an Everton side that had completely phoned it in with the manager. The FA Cup is absolutely no more difficult to win than the Copa del Rey, and no more prestigious. Do you think people in Spain actually care about the FA Cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back