Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree, to an extent. But pages and pages about who was right first, and all that crap, is just tedious tripe. I have no issue at all discussing, in this thread, how Player A is playing better/worse/more/less under the 2 managers, cos like you say, that is an obvious point(s) to discuss.

Ok, I personally will make an effort to not mention the under performing utter fraud in threads not relevant to such things.

14639769_1329958817039052_1249668731047559155_n.jpg

I'd like to see us not play two defensive midfielders every week. It feels like we've been watching that for over a decade.

You can't play Barry without cover though - it's going to be a major problem vs Chelsea given Gueye is suspended.

Now, to that you will say 'just don't play Barry' - but he's the only midfielder we currently have who has the experience and quality to get on the ball and run the tempo from deep (he did this brilliantly in the second-half vs W.Ham).

What we need is a player who can do that, but also have a bit more of a 'presence' in a box to box role.

I'd like to see us not play two defensive midfielders every week. It feels like we've been watching that for over a decade.

The "problem" as such is that we normally play 2 "stoppers", as you saw with Koemans moves for Witsel, Sissoko and the vague links to Strootman, Koeman has tried to add some guile to the middle of the park, somebody that will run with the ball, rather than playing the simple little balls that Barry and McCarthy in the past have done.

The boy Gana has certainly added a little bit of drive in that area and I suspect he has surprised everybody with how comfortable on the ball considering everything pointed to him just being a "stopper".

I say problem, its not a major issue, Gaz Baz does what Gaz Baz does and as I say Gana has added a little drive, but Barry cant play forever and its likely that Koeman will address the middle of the park in the next 2 transfer windows. Its a damn shame Besic got injured, he can certainly drive and create.

4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 seem to be quite the vogue, currently our players suit the 4-2-3-1, be interesting to see if the shape changes over the next few windows, but I doubt it personally. If we got a good 2nd striker we could certainly play 3-4-1-2 at times.

You can't play Barry without cover though - it's going to be a major problem vs Chelsea given Gueye is suspended.

Now, to that you will say 'just don't play Barry' - but he's the only midfielder we currently have who has the experience and quality to get on the ball and run the tempo from deep (he did this brilliantly in the second-half vs W.Ham).

What we need is a player who can do that, but also have a bit more of a 'presence' in a box to box role.

Gana is a massive loss, more so with Besic AND McCarthy being injured, hell even Gibson could have "helped out"

Not sure what Ronny will do, seems likely he will drop Ross and The Clev in the middle, play something like this :

Stickle
Coleman - Mori - Williams - Oviedo
The Clev - Gaz Baz - Barks
Geri ------------------------ Bolasie
Lukaku
That would leave Rom very isolated, but we need to win the middle of the park AND keep the wings locked down, I think thats how Ronny will set us up.

Gana is a massive loss, more so with Besic AND McCarthy being injured, hell even Gibson could have "helped out"

Not sure what Ronny will do, seems likely he will drop Ross and The Clev in the middle, play something like this :

Stickle
Lukaku
That would leave Rom very isolated, but we need to win the middle of the park AND keep the wings locked down, I think thats how Ronny will set us up.

Sod it, I'd play Davies in the middle with Barry

Trial by fire

Stickle
Lukaku

I would trust Davies alongside/with Barry.

Be a test, but I reckon he would do ok. Would have Lennon starting instead of Geri too. 4 2 3 1. ish.

I would trust Davies alongside/with Barry.

Be a test, but I reckon he would do ok. Would have Lennon starting instead of Geri too. 4 2 3 1. ish.

No RayRay.

I think Mirallas has done a good job for the team, hes played with energy, but it is isnt really happening with him attacking wise, think Geri will be given a chance and we will play almost a 4-3-3.

Lennon also deserves a chance, but as I say, I can see Geri fitting a 4-3-3 a bit better.

Stickle
Lukaku

My thinking is the same - probably Jags in for Mori unless we go three at the back and try and match Chelsea up with a 3-4-3/5-4-1...

We have options, we've just lost the best player that fits into all the systems you could think would help us counter them though.

Kev - for all the stick he got the other day - actually linked play very well if you look back, and I think Lennon may also be a good option.

My thinking is the same - probably Jags in for Mori unless we go three at the back and try and match Chelsea up with a 3-4-3/5-4-1...

We have options, we've just lost the best player that fits into all the systems you could think would help us counter them though.

They are utilising the wings currently, where as they are still strong down the spine, we need to win the midfield and load the wings, stop them playing from the front and break at pace.

Ronny knows the score, he got this.

Stickle
Lukaku
Do you think he'd go 3 at the back and match Chelsea's system.
Jags Williams Mori

Coleman Barry Barkley Oviedo

Lennon Rom Bolasie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back