Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Rooney or Sigurðsson?

Rooney or Sigurðsson?

• Rooney

Votes: 61 12.6%
  • Sigurðsson

Votes: 260 53.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 53 10.9%
  • Both

Votes: 112 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewership and general interest from the neutral fan. I truly believe gate receipts for the cup ties next year would increase and also reinforce the sell outs this year during league games. You never know which major corporation may take more than a passing interest to throw some ad revenue for exposure.

Viewership means nothing, nobody gives a toss about the Europa league (us as fans will) and nobody will give a damn about a non Manchester United Wayne Rooney.

We already sell out for most of our games.

To be honest personally I want someone who can contribute on the field as opposed to the clubs balance book but seeing as I think he will do neither I am absolutely baffled about this line of thinking.

Manchester United is the marketable asset, not Wayne Rooney, certainly not a washed up version if him who hasn't been good for a good few seasons.

Viewership means nothing, nobody gives a toss about the Europa league (us as fans will) and nobody will give a damn about a non Manchester United Wayne Rooney.

We already sell out for most of our games.

To be honest personally I want someone who can contribute on the field as opposed to the clubs balance book but seeing as I think he will do neither I am absolutely baffled about this line of thinking.

Manchester United is the marketable asset, not Wayne Rooney, certainly not a washed up version if him who hasn't been good for a good few seasons.
I wonder then the thoughts of Ronald Koeman. Is it all media deception and both he and Walsh are hoodwinked. I fall in the camp with them. I think Rooney back would help and excite many a fan. Perhaps I am in the minority nevertheless the future will tell the tale.

I wonder then the thoughts of Ronald Koeman. Is it all media deception and both he and Walsh are hoodwinked. I fall in the camp with them. I think Rooney back would help and excite many a fan. Perhaps I am in the minority nevertheless the future will tell the tale.

If he wants him which seemingly he does then that's fine. He wouldn't be the first manager to sign someone in the hopes of him rediscovering his old form, I personally just think he is past it as the signs are all there. I would hope he wants him for what he hopes he can do on the pitch, not for some bizarre marketing strategy that isn't there.

He would excite some fans, he would also pee off a lot of them too. I am not a fan of signing divisive players as they will have to come out all guns blazing straight from the off otherwise the fans will turn pretty quickly. People will forget the past if he ends up being boss, that's human nature, but they will also turn on someone if they don't perform and someone like Rooney will have an incredibly short leash.

If he wants him which seemingly he does then that's fine. He wouldn't be the first manager to sign someone in the hopes of him rediscovering his old form, I personally just think he is past it as the signs are all there. I would hope he wants him for what he hopes he can do on the pitch, not for some bizarre marketing strategy that isn't there.

He would excite some fans, he would also pee off a lot of them too. I am not a fan of signing divisive players as they will have to come out all guns blazing straight from the off otherwise the fans will turn pretty quickly. People will forget the past if he ends up being boss, that's human nature, but they will also turn on someone if they don't perform and someone like Rooney will have an incredibly short leash.

Good missive. You have nailed it on the head. The conundrum Rooney would only get sorted if he shows his wares on the pitch for us. He isn't the lad he use to be scoring buckets of goals but I see his effort to change his game and become a team player at his present employ that has me interested. I still feel his set pieces and vision of linking play could offer us major dividends. In context to this I still would like some of our young lads breaking in and that perhaps could be curtailed with Rooney bobbing in and out of the squad. Trusting Koeman and Walsh to make the right decision on this one. Especially, as the aging process causes more potential for injury.

Name someone better in that position who would sign for us?

What position is that exactly? Kind of striker, kind of number 10, not really good enough at either currently?

How am I supposed to know who would want to sign for us? I cant read minds.

Sigurdsson is a better shout than Rooney. How about the ludicrously talented (though not without risk) Omar Abdulrahman? (who actually would be a good marketing move unlike Rooney..)

How about Ross Barkley?

There are loads out there, most with potential to get better. If it was a prime Rooney as much as I cant stand him I could totally understand the clamour to sign him, but this current version of Wayne Rooney isn't even particularly good and he hasn't been for a good while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back