Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Ross Barkley joins Chelsea, er, Villa on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross is a huge talent. Instead of calling him a rat we should be looking at why our own club can't keep the genuine talents it produces. First Rooney, then Ross. Hopefully the new regime in place will give us the ability to put a stop to local talent drain.

lol at the Koeman bullied him out.

Behave.

The club, including Koeman knew Barkley was leaving.

He refused contracts under Martinez and it continued under Koeman. Initially all Koeman did was talk him up, I knew he was off though the moment Koeman said Barkley wants champions league and it's up to the club to match his ambitions.

It was only very late on the line hardened, but the writing was on the wall then.

April 2017.

Everton sit in seventh place in the Premier League, seven points behind fourth-placed Manchester City having played a game more.

Koeman is asked a direct question about Ross Barkley/contract.

"I spoke to Ross several weeks ago and he mentioned his ambition, Champions League, and I told him I have the same ambition," Koeman said.

"We're going in a good direction and he is a key player, he is a kid of the club, a kid of the town and in my opinion, there is no better place for him to continue.

"I think it's a normal ambition for players, every player and manager wants to play in the Champions League.

"Our next step is to play in Europe, it may be difficult, if we finish fifth or sixth that will be perfect because you don't play any pre-qualification games for Europe."

Koeman added: "I am not involved in the negotiations, but I know the board is talking to his agent.

"I think the way he is improving this season, Everton is the best place for him to continue."

The writing has been on the wall for some time - he wants off, wants a new challenge.

Prior his antics in January I'd have said I think he's making a mistake but good luck to the lad, but after his antics on deadline day, for me he sails past Barmby as the biggest rat of an Everton player in my time supporting the club.

I'm going to boo him, loads. BOOOOO

Koeman's initial comments, and the narrative that followed suggests to me, around April he knew Barkley was going to take the piss.

The first comments made when Koeman was asked about his contract;

"I spoke to Ross several weeks ago and he mentioned his ambition, Champions League, and I told him I have the same ambition," Koeman said.

"We're going in a good direction and he is a key player, he is a kid of the club, a kid of the town and in my opinion, there is no better place for him to continue.

"I think it's a normal ambition for players, every player and manager wants to play in the Champions League.

"Our next step is to play in Europe, it may be difficult, if we finish fifth or sixth that will be perfect because you don't play any pre-qualification games for Europe."

Koeman added: "I am not involved in the negotiations, but I know the board is talking to his agent.

"Of course we need to know the answer before the end of the season. It's all about the contract and we will offer him what is good, what is normal and what the player is.

"I think the way he is improving this season, Everton is the best place for him to continue."

We're now seeing why "C'mon, we need to know his intentions before the end of the season" moved to "Sign or be sold" - he's proven to be the rat Koeman/Everton suspected he'd be.

I maintain he's not good enough to be a regular starter for a top club.

He didn't have the mentality/ability to consistently perform to try and take a club like Everton to another level either.

Time will show it. Currently, his team are doing amazingly well with his PR - he's done sod all really.

Ross is a huge talent. Instead of calling him a rat we should be looking at why our own club can't keep the genuine talents it produces. First Rooney, then Ross. Hopefully the new regime in place will give us the ability to put a stop to local talent drain.

I can agree with all that.

And I will go along with the notion that Koeman’s arrogant, bullying ways probably played a role in the disenchantment he felt toward the end of his time here.

Up until I remember that he pulled the plug on his original deal and cost my club, your club, £15 to £20 million, if what we believe to be the case is what actually happened.

And nowt we have heard since debunks that belief.

That it was a sound financial move on his behalf as he probably pocketed a huge wedge cuts no ice with me because beyond what he did playing for Everton is of absolutely no concern to me, nor should it be to any Evertonian.

And as I take any wrong or injury or insult to EFC very much to heart I despise the fellow and will heartily boo the bugger when he rocks up to Goodison in a Chelsea shirt.

And I make no apologies for this......none at all :)

Behave.

He refused contracts under Martinez and it continued under Koeman. Initially all Koeman did was talk him up, I knew he was off though the moment Koeman said Barkley wants champions league and it's up to the club to match his ambitions.

It was only very late on the line hardened, but the writing was on the wall then.

He didn't have the mentality/ability to consistently perform to try and take a club like Everton to another level either.

Time will show it. Currently, his team are doing amazingly well with his PR - he's done sod all really.

Honestly they make it up as they go along, Barkley wanted to go and as a lot on here have said, if he'd have left at first and we got the £35m , I for one would not have had anything bad to say about him. It's the way he left that wrankles. Not a fan of Koeman either.

Behave.

Basically this.

He was awful when he came on against United.

Good game against a Burnley side that's shot their bolt but in all honesty hes still the same flatter to deceive player he was when he was here.

Every single person involved shares the blame in him leaving.

Barkley shafted us out of a market rate fee.

Koeman continually chatted wham.

Martinez continually chatted wham.

Barkleys agent, same fella stones had, was clearly intent on making a deal happen for his own personal gain.

The custodians of the club as a whole have not ran the club in a manner befitting of Everton owners. Success was not sought hard enough and we merely existed rather than existed to win.

Barkley was content to go along with a no doubt agent driven agenda which showed little respect for a club which helped him recover from a career threatening injury, to become an international footballer.

Good player who we could have done with keeping. But there's no loyalty in footballers these days and we all need to accept that even though it riles me. We've lost players before and survived and will do so again. Far better players than Ross Barkley.

Every single person involved shares the blame in him leaving.

Barkley shafted us out of a market rate fee.

Koeman continually chatted wham.

Martinez continually chatted wham.

Barkleys agent, same fella stones had, was clearly intent on making a deal happen for his own personal gain.

The custodians of the club as a whole have not ran the club in a manner befitting of Everton owners. Success was not sought hard enough and we merely existed rather than existed to win.

Barkley was content to go along with a no doubt agent driven agenda which showed little respect for a club which helped him recover from a career threatening injury, to become an international footballer.

Good player who we could have done with keeping. But there's no loyalty in footballers these days and we all need to accept that even though it riles me. We've lost players before and survived and will do so again. Far better players than Ross Barkley.
I think Barkley/his agent is the only reason to be honest. Doesn't bother me too much these days but it does kind of make me sad that our most talented homegrown lad in years wanted to feck us off rather than try and bring us to the next level himself.

I think we know why....... We do not play in the CL so players who get the chance to play in a CL team jump ship to one of them usually at the first time of asking unless the club stands very firm. So far that process has only delayed the outcome of the players moving on, not prevented it. CL footy carries more glory for them and Cl clubs pay better money. Their agents will always agitate for a move any way since that is money in for them. Our challenge is to get regularly into the CL for which there are only 4 places in a division where 6 strong clubs are already ahead of us on a regular basis and are a much better bet for CL football having had lots of recent experience of it. Even two of them miss out each season atm!! It is quite a challenge!

Showing a bit more hunger for winning our domestic cups might help but the lure of the CL seems massive, even for lads who are locals brought up as Blues. And in fairness the way Barkley left was pretty poor with his long term radio silence when he had clearly made up his mind to go months before he did. The on-off bit to lower the fee to Everton was adding insult to injury. Each player probably has an additional personal twist to the desire to move or seeks to find excuses to justify their decision but I think the principal reason is the CL and all it brings with it.

Did fathead Koeman even hate him though? He made 36 league apps in his first season. I despise RonKoe as much as anyone but I dont buy into him driving out RB at all.
Yes but pleading with him to sign a new contract is the same as bullying him out of the club........................

...........if you have an agenda.

Despise koeman for the wreck he left the club in but it’s not his fault Barkley left and it’s not his fault Barkley ratted the club out of £20 million. Never wish for a player to get injured and have their career ruined but if the bubble does burst for him and he’s rodwell’d his career, which I suspect he will do, and eventually floats down the league I will be somewhat pleased.

Horrible little snake.

Honestly they make it up as they go along, Barkley wanted to go and as a lot on here have said, if he'd have left at first and we got the £35m , I for one would not have had anything bad to say about him. It's the way he left that wrankles. Not a fan of Koeman either.

Think most agree with you mate.

Barkley wanted off and was always seeing out his contract. The club tried to prevent it, failed. We aren't the first and certainly wont be the last. As much as I'd like to blame the club, they had no chance here IMO - the lad had a contract on the table under Martinez, Koeman, Unsworth, and Allardyce. Every single one talked him up, but then the club has to come first.

Martinez
“We will probably look at it in the summer. As I’ve said before, Ross is not a young man any more. He’s a player you can build a project on. When you want to build a project it is about a player who wants to play for Everton and wants to take that role. It is one thing as a manager wanting to do something, if the player doesn’t feel the same way then you cannot do it.

“But at the moment we have to concentrate on what we can achieve from now until the end of the season. What you are going to do in the final 12 games of the season will allow you to have a real strong ending, and that’s where the focus is. The FA Cup is another real strong focus for us, and the role of Ross Barkley will be vital to what we can achieve.”

Koeman I linked his quotes earlier. "We're going in a good direction and he is a key player, he is a kid of the club, a kid of the town and in my opinion, there is no better place for him to continue. "I think the way he is improving this season, Everton is the best place for him to continue."

Unsworth:
I spoke to Ross this morning,” Unsworth revealed. “He is working really hard in the gym, and coming along nicely.

“My opinion of Ross is that I would love him to stay. I would absolutely love it. He is a top talent. Everton has done great for him, and he has done great for Everton. He could one of the all-time greats here.

“I would love him to be persuaded by myself and the chairman and Farhad (Moshiri) to stay and sign a contract. We shouldn’t be losing players of his quality. He's a top player who has come through our ranks. We shouldn't be losing our own players. I feel that very strongly.”

Asked whether he had had a conversation with Barkley over his future, Unsworth said: “I haven’t spoken to him about that since I spoke to the chairman yesterday. I will be doing.

“I would love to have a cup of tea with him and discuss the possibility of signing and staying here, because we love him. And I know he loves Everton. I want everyone to come together and hopefully we can thrash something out with Ross.”

Allardyce;

"If someone comes in during January and says: ‘Here you go’ [with an offer] and the club says: ‘Look, if he’s not going to sign for us this has to be the case,’ then I accept that"

“If Ross stays until the end of the season and I feel he is giving 100% to the team, like he has done since he was a kid, then he is an available asset for us until he leaves on a free transfer. I would hate that to happen but it might do.”

If Nicky Barmby, Joleon Lescott, Wayne Rooney, Nick Barmby etc are judas rats, then all considered, Barkley tops them all - he set his stall out (rejected his contract) at a time of massive optimism - like never seen before at the club and mainly because of the manner in which he engineered his move.

I appreciate why some fans will blag themselves that he was bullied out the club by the evil boardroom or manager or whatever, but it's absolute nonsense.

To add, if you want to blame the club over the player, blame them for not taking a hardened line much sooner.

He should have been frozen out completely with 18 months left, a case of "sign the contract, or be sold. If neither, you rot away from the first team for 18 months".

Absolutely correct, much as I loved him as a player for us, the writing was on the wall, we as a club should have acted much earlier, instead of becoming Chelsea's recuperation centre, Courtesy of Ross a d his lovely agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back