Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martinez did one thing right today.

He sacrificed a defensive mid for an attacking mid.

He very rarely if ever does this and id like to see it from the start against QPR.

Barkley wasn't at his best but at least tried to take the game to them.
I'm as frustrated as the next Everton fan about Ross this season but people need to calm down
I think there are people in the forum who would be happy if he was Jordan Henderson basically passing the ball back or square for 90 minutes while running around flapping your arms
I was expecting big things this season but the injury 2 days before the season started was a downer
Hopefully it's just a bit a confidence he needs and once he has 10/15 games under his belt he will start to improve
Comparing him to Rooney obviously there is no comparison when Rooney broke through but Rooney didn't have a bad injury like Ross who missed 18nonths in 2 yrs from 15 to 17 then had a manager not prepared to play him
Since he broke into the team we have played about 50 prem games and he's probably missed a 3rd through nigiling injuries
But looking at Rooney we all remember some of his performances especially the Bolton game
But 3/4 yrs on Man Utd had knocked that out of his game
Listen to older Man Utd players who where at the club when Rooney & Ronaldo were 18 and they all say Ronney was the more finished article
Look at them now Ronaldo is on another planet
Martinez has come out this week saying he wants Ross to take risks and knows loosing the ball is a consequence
He just doesn't want him to loose that natural ability
There was 2 games last year when for me he showed discipline the arsenal 3-0 when he played left side of Barry & McCarthy and had 98% pass completion and also played a few clever through balls behind there full backs that got there defence turning
Also the England Italy game to come on in a world cup game 2-1 down with a slaging from the manager in your head
He played 19 passes and every one found an England player
Yet lallana gave the ball away 50% of the time after coming on in the same game
But obviously he won't get slagged
As you can tell I'm a class half full when it comes to Barkley and I still think he will become a fantstic player for efc world class? who knows
One last point
Last year he came into a team playing in and unfamiliar number 10role for most of his youth has been a attacking centre midfielder
Which Martinez has said recently will be his position in a couple of years
Playing a new passing style with new players he had never played with before like McCarthy Barry lukaku
And trying to find his way in the fastest most physical league in the world
Keep the faith everyone

^ Theres no comparison with Rooney.
That's the problem....some people are already trying to compare him with Rooney, Gazza and others and you wonder why they are disappointed to the point of slating him. He is still an unfinished article and who is to say he will not reach the same heights in 3-4 years time. He is still on a journey of education. Rooney was a freak at a young age and I still say he was a better player at Everton and in his first couple of seasons at United and has been tapering off ever since. Remember when all supporters used to be on there feet when he had the ball...well not anymore.

Give Barkley time and he will get better be it at Everton or elsewhere

Said it at the time, that dive vs West Ham will haunt him for the rest of his career, everytime the refs not sure he won't give it. Happened twice today.

Martinez did one thing right today.

He sacrificed a defensive mid for an attacking mid.

He very rarely if ever does this and id like to see it from the start against QPR.

Barkley wasn't at his best but at least tried to take the game to them.

Ross looked more interested today than he has in a few weeks.

His benching was a good thing.

Sometimes he gets complacent

Said it at the time, that dive vs West Ham will haunt him for the rest of his career, everytime the refs not sure he won't give it. Happened twice today.
So damn true, missed out on two frees today and got a yellow he didn't deserve because of it.

He was so much better last season, but he injury this season has set him back. bet the rs at work will be letting me know that Sterling is the better player out of the two on Monday.

I'd like to see him replace Barry (got his fifth yellow last night) in central midfield if McCarthy is back in the QPR game.

That's the problem....some people are already trying to compare him with Rooney, Gazza and others and you wonder why they are disappointed to the point of slating him. He is still an unfinished article and who is to say he will not reach the same heights in 3-4 years time. He is still on a journey of education. Rooney was a freak at a young age and I still say he was a better player at Everton and in his first couple of seasons at United and has been tapering off ever since. Remember when all supporters used to be on there feet when he had the ball...well not anymore.

Give Barkley time and he will get better be it at Everton or elsewhere

He was more explosive I agree, much more dynamic don't think he was AS effective in the final third but he was definitely more entertaining. As good as he is now hes one of the most boring unpredictable players now days. Still class tho

I think Martinez is stifling him a bit with his style of play. There were times in the game today when the Ross of last season would have ran with the ball at the defence, and cause all sorts of problems. Where as today, he was passing a lot more sideways and backwards. I understand trying to keep the ball, but it seems as though he's trying to find that balance between when to run and when to pass.

I hope Martinez doesn't tip him too much the other way.

I think Martinez is stifling him a bit with his style of play. There were times in the game today when the Ross of last season would have ran with the ball at the defence, and cause all sorts of problems. Where as today, he was passing a lot more sideways and backwards. I understand trying to keep the ball, but it seems as though he's trying to find that balance between when to run and when to pass.

I hope Martinez doesn't tip him too much the other way.
There was plenty of times he ran at them with the ball, ended up running into blind alleys, lost the ball. Played deeper than usual too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back