Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not saying his form is good, but he is in no way an average player, he has exceptional ability
I'm still yet to see him show me why he is considered 'exceptional', I mean these words get thrown about by the media and Martinez and the coaches etc but i've never seen him have an 'exceptional' performance. Not even once.

He has flashes of it, flashes or brilliance, but he generally just seems (or at least to me) to carry the ball sideways 15-30 yards before stifling our attack and passing backwards/ losing the ball.

LOL, your going to be very embarrassed, if you can't see his talent you shouldn't be watching football, he mis controlled a ball after correctly tracking his man, a joke? it happens, but no, that moment is cast iron evidence to fools like you, he will be the best english player in 5 years, maybe even greater like that, but you can enjoy the moment while he is out of form and out of position, if it makes you feel right for a while, because you're going to be feeling very wrong in the long term
Are you wearing Barkley is the best pjs and crying?

Some people refuse to say he's done anything wrong, it happened after Stoke, he was abysmal yet people defended him by saying "someone else was worse" like that makes it ok.

One good game in ten does not a world beater make.

Rodwell had similar ways.

Apart from the mistake that led to the goal conceded I think he has been trying to do the right thing and in all honesty I don't think he has been that bad. Now if I compared his form to what we know he can do then I would agree he looks bad but without that comparison I think he has been OK.

No offense but this YOUNG lad is being played from pillar to post. CAM, LM, RM, CDM theirs no structure, it's absolutely hilarious that people assume he will play like Bale no matter What position he's in. Martinez is massively stunting his development this season, Moyesque indeed.

I've said this before, and I will say this again...

I think Ross has the potential to be a wonderful player, possibly one of the best. Yet, equally he may also turn out to be just a 'good' player.

Without the blue tinted glasses, you couldn't arguably suggest he is anywhere near being bracketed as a top Premiership player as of yet.

Recently he has been far too inconsistent and some of his decision making is worrying. On his day he can be wonderful; often though he isn't.

However, he's still only a young lad and hopefully that will develop over the coming years. The flashes of brilliance can paint a good picture.

With more experience, hopefully his consistency and decision making will improve: this will hopefully help him flourish.

Also, our current woes across the board and the instability in position (mainly being on the left wing) aren't helping, but it still adds to the doubt.

I know we all want him to succeed. We all hope he can be a pivotal player in our future, but you need to take the rough with the smooth.

If he's played; great then let's herald that. However, let's not shy away from the fact that he's currently not the top player some people think he is.

It is not about getting on his back constantly (that can be inhibitive and harmful), but fair criticism is part of the game no matter who you are.

Writing him off now is purely pathetic, but spouting that he will definitely be a great is equally naive - if not laughable.

He has the potential to make it to the big time, but it's still has a long way to show it and he needs to work very hard to reach the top.

His recent performances pretty much show this...

Last edited:
Sometimes I worry he's more Adel Taraabt or Manuel Fernandes than Michael Ballack.

However, I'm clinging to the hope that he's just a lad who takes a very long time to play his way into form after injuries.

Sometimes I worry he's more Adel Taraabt or Manuel Fernandes than Michael Ballack.
Exactly. Glimpses of brilliance aren't a guarantee that he will be an expectational talent.

I am not saying I think he will fall into the category of Taraabt etc (he has shown more promise than that), but a Gascgoine or Messi is far off.

I want him to be a world beater, so he needs to start proving it.

Lost the fear factor. Plays better and makes more things happen in a team that is doing well and ticking over. Expecting him to the the kick start or the catalyst to our current malais is not only wholey unfair but is to overlook the lack of guts and guile in the experienced other parts of the squad.

People saying he hasn't been consistent, when has he been given a consistent run in a particular position? I would expect inconsistency if he doesn't get to hold down a place.

Reactions: Jxg
Let's be honest, it's been a crap second season for him. Rooney's went pretty much the same way if memory serves me correctly until he bagged a few towards the end of the campaign.

For someone with so much ability he doesn't half look clumsy in possession. Right now he needs to play in that role he had against qpr, it'll benefit him and the team massively. The obsession with two holding midfielders has to stop. It does absolutely nothing in terms of helping our defence anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back