Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still yet to see him show me why he is considered 'exceptional', I mean these words get thrown about by the media and Martinez and the coaches etc but i've never seen him have an 'exceptional' performance. Not even once.

He has flashes of it, flashes or brilliance, but he generally just seems (or at least to me) to carry the ball sideways 15-30 yards before stifling our attack and passing backwards/ losing the ball.
you don't do the things he does even in flashes without exceptional talent, trust me on this one brades

That is of no concern to me I'm arsed about Barkley here and now.

You've just stated he ain't no Gazza. No one has ever said he was they have said the POTENTIAL is there judging by his age and current ability. Hence what your getting at is he's over rated because he isn't Luis suarez ability right now.

Neither was bale at 21 neither was Drogba neither was Van Persie Neither was Gerrard neither was Lampard. You can go on and on.

You've just stated he ain't no Gazza. No one has ever said he was they have said the POTENTIAL is there judging by his age and current ability. Hence what your getting at is he's over rated because he isn't Luis suarez ability right now.

Neither was bale at 21 neither was Drogba neither was Van Persie Neither was Gerrard neither was Lampard. You can go on and on.
Messi and Rooney where the only two players I can remember who where as good at 20 as their peaks. Arguably better - if you know what I mean :-).

Are you wearing Barkley is the best pjs and crying?

Some people refuse to say he's done anything wrong, it happened after Stoke, he was abysmal yet people defended him by saying "someone else was worse" like that makes it ok.

One good game in ten does not a world beater make.

Rodwell had similar ways.

.....I agree with the sentiment, but he's not a Rodwell. Rodwell is a safe player, rarely takes the ball on the turn keeping possession by playing the way he's facing. Similarly he's not a Tarabt, similarity in touch and ability but not that running power. Barkley has a unique range of physical and technical ability, that's what makes him stand out. That's what make those involved in the game excited.

What is missing is the consistency of performance. Rooney has dominated and influenced football matches consistently since he was 17. Ross Barkley is capable and needs to do that now. It's up to him.

you don't do the things he does even in flashes without exceptional talent, trust me on this one brades
I don't not trust your judgement pal.

I feel my posts recently have rendered many other blues on here to think that i'm a bit of a Barkley hater, i'm not though - i'm just unfulfilled with the performances he's had thus far in the season. This could've all been different if he never got injured though, but that's if's and buts.

He had a very good game in central midfield against QPR. This is surely his best position.. Not number 10, not left wing, not right wing. If he has a run of games there he'll come good.

BUT... Does that put him in competition with James McCarthy for the place?
He could rotate with Besic, McCarthy and a No10 depending on the circumstances of the game.

Sometimes Fabregas plays alongside Matic, sometimes further ahead.

.....I agree with the sentiment, but he's not a Rodwell. Rodwell is a safe player, rarely takes the ball on the turn keeping possession by playing the way he's facing. Similarly he's not a Tarabt, similarity in touch and ability but not that running power. Barkley has a unique range of physical and technical ability, that's what makes him stand out. That's what make those involved in the game excited.

What is missing is the consistency of performance. Rooney has dominated and influenced football matches consistently since he was 17. Ross Barkley is capable and needs to do that now. It's up to him.

He doesn't need to do that as he's still young this is the problem with our fanbase. They expect the likes of Ross and Rom to be consistently good and it's not the case with youngsters.

Don't know how old some posters are but you can't use Rooney as a benchmark as he was a rare case of having it all at a young age.

Gerrard was inconsistent at 21 as was Lampard, Scholes, bale, Drogba, RVP etc.

Only 5 players of recent times that have looked world class at a young age are Rooney, messi, ronaldo, and to an extent aguero and torres when they were 22-24.

Ironic that Rooney and torres have peaked young

He doesn't need to do that as he's still young this is the problem with our fanbase. They expect the likes of Ross and Rom to be consistently good and it's not the case with youngsters.

Don't know how old some posters are but you can't use Rooney as a benchmark as he was a rare case of having it all at a young age.

Gerrard was inconsistent at 21 as was Lampard, Scholes, bale, Drogba, RVP etc.

Only 5 players of recent times that have looked world class at a young age are Rooney, messi, ronaldo, and to an extent aguero and torres when they were 22-24.

Ironic that Rooney and torres have peaked young

......I'm not expecting a worldy performance every week but he needs to be more consistent. If the team aren't playing well we need to be hard to beat and everybody needs to play for that cause. I'm a big fan, I'm old and have compared him to Bobby Charlton (some accolade) but he needs to produce more often for me and even when he doesn't play well he has a job to do.

......I'm not expecting a worldy performance every week but he needs to be more consistent. If the team aren't playing well we need to be hard to beat and everybody needs to play for that cause. I'm a big fan, I'm old and have compared him to Bobby Charlton (some accolade) but he needs to produce more often for me and even when he doesn't play well he has a job to do.

If he had been plays at CM/CAM from the start i would agree but the lads been moved from pillar to post this season. He isn't a wide player but has been shoved there week after week. It's my biggest problem with martinez right now such a criminal waste of talent alongside stunting his development.

MCCarthy and Besic in centre mid -- Barkley ahead of them or in a free role.

Every game.

If one of mccarthy or besic is out then move barkley back...

Need to settle those three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back