Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone besides me on here who was around to see a player called Albert Quixall, he played for the Wednesday in the 1950s in the old first division.
after the humiliation of England being knocked out of the world cup we were frantically searching for some new great talent.
At 18 Albert was a far better player than Ross, the trouble was everyone was telling him how good he was, supporters and opponent alike, every sports page echoed his name.
Unfortunately, at 20 he could barely hold a starting and his candle that burned so brightly burnt out just has quick, I fear Ross will be another Albert and in a few years we will be saying what happened to Ross Barkley, well how many remember Albert Quixall.

I don't not trust your judgement pal.

I feel my posts recently have rendered many other blues on here to think that i'm a bit of a Barkley hater, i'm not though - i'm just unfulfilled with the performances he's had thus far in the season. This could've all been different if he never got injured though, but that's if's and buts.
thats a massive mistake on footballing matters

He's boss and just needs to play all the time.

This season he's been stop start. Injuries, getting back to fitness, getting back to form. Then to add to that he's either played out of position or "rested".

With the focus the last day or so on fitness coaches and physio's got me thinking about Ross and his lack lustre performances playing in a multitude of different positions, peppered by some lovely cameos and some explosive moments. The game against QPR showed Ross as a completely different player. Basically getting forward tracking back, Tackling and generally dogging all over the park like a mini Macca, plus playing the quarter back role banging passes all over the shop. How can 1 player show such a different level of fitness/commitment/ passion by just changing his role. I am beginning to wonder what instructions several of our players are being sent onto the pitch with regards working off the ball.

Wanted too much time on the ball when played deeper, second half when he went in a more advanced role looked a different player. Got to leave him there from now on.

Anyone besides me on here who was around to see a player called Albert Quixall, he played for the Wednesday in the 1950s in the old first division.
after the humiliation of England being knocked out of the world cup we were frantically searching for some new great talent.
At 18 Albert was a far better player than Ross, the trouble was everyone was telling him how good he was, supporters and opponent alike, every sports page echoed his name.
Unfortunately, at 20 he could barely hold a starting and his candle that burned so brightly burnt out just has quick, I fear Ross will be another Albert and in a few years we will be saying what happened to Ross Barkley, well how many remember Albert Quixall.

I remember Albert Quixall. You're right, he was burned out by 21 after being hyped to the heavens only 3 years earlier. Like you, I fear that Barkley will become another 'nearly man'. Rodwell got a rare game for Sunderland today(in fact he scored¬!), he is another Everton 'nearly man'. As I said in another thread, Rooney at 16 was 100 times the player Barkley is now. Apparently there is only one position were Barkley can play, and he rarely gets a chance in that position.Its called 'Bily syndrome'.

I remember Albert Quixall. You're right, he was burned out by 21 after being hyped to the heavens only 3 years earlier. Like you, I fear that Barkley will become another 'nearly man'. Rodwell got a rare game for Sunderland today(in fact he scored¬!), he is another Everton 'nearly man'. As I said in another thread, Rooney at 16 was 100 times the player Barkley is now. Apparently there is only one position were Barkley can play, and he rarely gets a chance in that position.Its called 'Bily syndrome'.
To compare Barkley with Rodwell is fatuous. Rodwell was nowhere near as talented as Ross and we duped Man City into paying a fortune for him.
Comparisons with Quixall are difficult as even those of us around at the time didn't get as much opportunity to watch him, and besides, it was a very different era.
As for your assertion about Rooney being 100 times better, I find it difficult to compare as they are different players in different positions.
But hey, let's crucify the most talented youngster we have. That should help us to get out of the poor run we're in.

I have no fears about barkley whatsoever.

Injured, then Playing out of posistion for most his games, in a team lost and baffled with the managers tactics and setups....is it any wonder he's not setting the world alight!

Nothing came off for him today, as said above he wanted far too much time on the ball.

From where I was he didn't look particularly arsed when he lost it either which disappointed me more, you can forgive not being on your game but you can't forgive not giving 100%. Not that he was the only one today mind, at 2 - 0 the players looked beaten.

Nothing came off for him today, as said above he wanted far too much time on the ball.

From where I was he didn't look particularly arsed when he lost it either which disappointed me more, you can forgive not being on your game but you can't forgive not giving 100%. Not that he was the only one today mind, at 2 - 0 the players looked beaten.
I thought he was one of the few who looked bothered today, along with Baines, Naismith and Oviedo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back