Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Complete garbage' -- in itself complete garbage. We've lacked a surging midfielder, one who can rapidly take the ball great distances up the park, for years. We've now got one, albeit needing work on, and we use phrases like that to describe his efforts. As I say, complete garbage. The lad not only hit the only genuine through ball of the night, he also made a number of runs to get you on your feet. He is frustrating and his covering is poor but he gives us something no one else can at the moment (although it was good to see Lukaku trying to imitate him).
if you happy with 1 good pass and and a couple of runs that came to nothing, for a international player over 90 mins that's fine. I expect more. Try watching Eden hazard over 90 mins and compare to see the absolute hysteria around this kid.

Still struggling to find any form after his injury. If Osman wasn't injured he probably wouldn't be starting all the time.
He'll come good though, the same thing kind of happened after his previous injury.

you deluding yourself he will never be a "great"
Cannot head a ball, cannot tackle, no sense of positional play, no final pass.
I have seen great players mate, and can assure you he will not be one of them.
I would love to be wrong if only for his sake, but I find that the continual comments against all the evide that he his the next great very tedious, agood dose of reality would be good for you.
Since supporting,EFC and watching them since 6 years old I feel I have good judgement I would be upset if he was sold I suppose you thought the same about Wayne Rooney!

I wouldn't get too caught up in his performance today. Yes it wasn't great, but he was going against Fernando and fernandinho, two very good DMs, who were focused on closing down Ross' space. It was a tough assignment. Barkley isn't any different of a talent as he was earlier. He still has all of his tools. It just seems that what will limit him is how well he can read the game and his decision making. Thankfully, the best way to improve that is with experience. He is still 20/21. It would probably be beneficial if Martinez would leave him in the middle, which he did this match.

He's been our worst player this season, gets too much protection for his poor performances from fans cos he's a local lad.

His effort, commitment and passion is lacking totally, he's obviously got the talent and will eventually come good, but I think a run on the bench is what he needs by the looks of it.

I'm still glad he's our player, it just looks as tho playing out wide has knocked his confidence a bit. Hopefully he doesn't have to play out there again this season.

Today he was utter dross, there were times he could have headed the ball but he wouldn't jump, he wants far too long on the ball then gets closed down and the ball gets took away from him, no tackling, short passes going astray, I think he made one good run in the 2nd half, and now the west ham game few days ago, I didn't go that game I watched it on tv and kept an eye on ross, again utter dross 5 short passes that didnt find there man, he put his hands on his head each time and stood still, err how about go and get the ball back that you have just gave away..personally I would snap someone's hand off if they offered us in excess off 25 million...

I'm starting to think a midfield 3 of Besic, McCarthy and Barkley could work wonders with McCarthy and Besic doing the gritty defensive work and Barkley given a sort of free role to drive forward from deep.

Certainly wouldn't mind seeing it at some point this season if we can actually get them all fit at the same time.

I wouldn't get too caught up in his performance today. Yes it wasn't great, but he was going against Fernando and fernandinho, two very good DMs, who were focused on closing down Ross' space. It was a tough assignment. Barkley isn't any different of a talent as he was earlier. He still has all of his tools. It just seems that what will limit him is how well he can read the game and his decision making. Thankfully, the best way to improve that is with experience. He is still 20/21. It would probably be beneficial if Martinez would leave him in the middle, which he did this match.
Totally agree but in the meantime he has to work harder.

I know people don't want to hear it...but he is better deeper. Receiving the ball...turning...and beating a man with the ball in his feet.

At least at this point.
Are you serious? He doesn't press the ball. He doesn't tackle and when he loses it he stands still.

Against a team like QPR at home who didn't attack we might be fine getting away with just Besic but most teams would rip us apart if he played there.

Maybe in time but right now he has to play in the center further forward.

Are you serious? He doesn't press the ball. He doesn't tackle and when he loses it he stands still.

Against a team like QPR at home who didn't attack we might be fine getting away with just Besic but most teams would rip us apart if he played there.

Maybe in time but right now he has to play in the center further forward.

I meant going forward. I agree he's not a defensive midfielder like...not saying play him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back