Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering he is an Evertonian you'd think he'd give a LOT more than he does.

You can't question his talent - he has the potential to do what no one else can in our team but he doesn't want to put a foot in or track back which is disappointing...
I think that is the most frustrating aspect of his game. Some people will say he's not good enough, others already believe he is exceptional.

Really, he has the potential to be fantastic but he needs to exert himself much more. Unfortunately, he far too often lets the game pass him by.

Rarely does he make a tackle or fully challenge for a loose ball. Neither does he track back when he looses the ball, which he seems to do a lot.

The best way I can describe Ross, is that he has flashes of brilliance mixed in with copious amounts of ambling around.

Regardless of your ability, you need to impose yourself on the game. You need to win the ball and put the opposition under pressure.

I am not questioning his ability and on occasions he looks unplayable, yet for a young scouse lad he seems to lack that physical edge.

We all know his decision making and concentration need to improve, however that will hopefully come with experience through game time.

Nevertheless, that 'fight' and 'guile' is something harder to gain: it is a mentality rather than a physical ability.

Players know that it is far too easy to take the ball from him. If he could win balls, it would be a great opportunity for him to use his pace and skill.

People relate him to Gascoigne: ability wise maybe, however Gazza had a nasty, physical side which just improved his player even more.

If Ross is to show his true potential he needs to exert himself more, as right now he isn't good enough to simply flick in and out with some quality.

That mentality alone could be the difference between him being a good and a great player. Right now games are drifting past him.

I like Ross a lot and we shouldn't put too much expectations on his shoulders, but it doesn't mean he is exempt from fair criticism.

He's lacking confidence right now but that can change in no time. Rory mclroy looked lost 18 months ago because of the weight of expectation being too much for a young lad.look at him now. Ross needs our support and he'll richly reward us. Perhaps a couple of weeks on the bench out of the spotlight would do him good

Yes you are definitely thick if you cannot understand that sentence,
!1 I would love to be wrong if only for his sake. meaning.... I would like him to come good.
2 but
I find that the continual comments against all the evide that he his the next great very tedious, meaning I am fed up of people like the poster, I was answering you blow his ability up in the face the evidence to the contrary.
3 a good dose of reality would be good for you. meaning.... I was addressing the poter.
Now I have assisted in the furtherance of your education, go and bother some one else
In other words " go forth and multiply".
lollollollol God Bless

Delefeou is far superior at this moment to Barkley
They're about the same at the moment. Both inconsistent, both lacking when it comes to tracking back.

I love them both but I also understand people's criticism. In a couple of years I've no doubt (well little doubt) that they'll be bossing Europe.

I think that is the most frustrating aspect of his game. Some people will say he's not good enough, others already believe he is exceptional.

Really, he has the potential to be fantastic but he needs to exert himself much more. Unfortunately, he far too often lets the game pass him by.

Rarely does he make a tackle or fully challenge for a loose ball. Neither does he track back when he looses the ball, which he seems to do a lot.

The best way I can describe Ross, is that he has flashes of brilliance mixed in with copious amounts of ambling around.

Regardless of your ability, you need to impose yourself on the game. You need to win the ball and put the opposition under pressure.

I am not questioning his ability and on occasions he looks unplayable, yet for a young scouse lad he seems to lack that physical edge.

We all know his decision making and concentration need to improve, however that will hopefully come with experience through game time.

Nevertheless, that 'fight' and 'guile' is something harder to gain: it is a mentality rather than a physical ability.

Players know that it is far too easy to take the ball from him. If he could win balls, it would be a great opportunity for him to use his pace and skill.

People relate him to Gascoigne: ability wise maybe, however Gazza had a nasty, physical side which just improved his player even more.

If Ross is to show his true potential he needs to exert himself more, as right now he isn't good enough to simply flick in and out with some quality.

That mentality alone could be the difference between him being a good and a great player. Right now games are drifting past him.

I like Ross a lot and we shouldn't put too much expectations on his shoulders, but it doesn't mean he is exempt from fair criticism.

Good post.

Yesterday he had a couple of touches that were world class but then he would drift for another 20 minutes. He was playing in the middle for most of the game, there should have been a desire to collect the ball off Barry and Besic. I suppose this could be a lack of confidence to do something if he did have the ball.

I have been watching football since 1946, and Rooney is a good player, but far off being a great.
Some seem to think football was invented when the premier league started, I suspect you are one of them.
Apart from Writing a load of tosh on RB - perhaps you need to brush up on your mathematics also if you had had the decency to ask me what my first blues game was it was Burden park away v Bolton in 1962 - I am 60 years old I find your bigortory against a young blue player ludricous and quite viscous posting on the GOT.

I would like to see us try out a 4-3-3 so we can still have Barkley Deeper in the middle pushing the attack but be flanked by McCarthy and Besic for defensive cover.

Cant believe some are doubting his talent. He's a certainty to be a world class player one day imo. His poor decision making would be helped by a clearer team structure. Our players atm are not playing to a particular pattern and its hurting him.
World class big words there. For the moment there ic NOTHING to suggest that he will better then average. He doesnt have any vision of the play. He is a one trick pony .Doesnt defend eats every ball he gets. One good game per season so far. Still waiting for that good game after half a season. Im afraid it will be another long long wait. Perhaps he will go the Rodwell way. Manchester City bench next season and then the bench of Sunderland, West Brom, Burnley...

Haha yeh excuse anyone actually wanting the most hyped up player we've had since Rooney to do something with the ball, thats absolutely disgusting. Poor lad. LOL.

Has he come out and said "I'm the next Rooney" at any point or anything similar? No he hasn't, so we should just let the lads play back into form aye.

I'd love to see him at CM again. He was excellent alongside Besic against QPR, and of course I know it was only QPR, but long term I think that's his best position.

Short term we have no playmaker and Naismith off Lukaku doesn't work. We've seen the Ross/Rom partnership work well in the past so I'd stick with that. He just needs a run of games NOT OUT WIDE and a bit of confidence.

But its hard to drop Naismith, he's been so good the few games, all three actually- Ross, Naisy, and Rom has been spectacular.

Apart from Writing a load of tosh on RB - perhaps you need to brush up on your mathematics also if you had had the decency to ask me what my first blues game was it was Burden park away v Bolton in 1962 - I am 60 years old I find your bigortory against a young blue player ludricous and quite viscous posting on the GOT.

I flipped on my Dad last night for something similar.

I showed him a picture of Duncan and Kanchelskis in the dressing room. He starts going on about how they have both done nothing for Everton and bangs on about Alan Ball etc. The constant belittling of supporters my age and younger (27) annoys me with all the "I've seen this and I've seen that" attitude. I was saying I may as well cut my season ticket up and give up because we've had our day.

Well I've seen an FA Cup victory with mediocricy and two relegation days. Yet I'm still here supporting the team.

Considering he is an Evertonian you'd think he'd give a LOT more than he does.

You can't question his talent - he has the potential to do what no one else can in our team but he doesn't want to put a foot in or track back which is disappointing...

Do people actually believe this sort of thing?

I flipped on my Dad last night for something similar.

I showed him a picture of Duncan and Kanchelskis in the dressing room. He starts going on about how they have both done nothing for Everton and bangs on about Alan Ball etc. The constant belittling of supporters my age and younger (27) annoys me with all the "I've seen this and I've seen that" attitude. I was saying I may as well cut my season ticket up and give up because we've had our day.

Well I've seen an FA Cup victory with mediocricy and two relegation days. Yet I'm still here supporting the team.
I am sorry I feel sorry to offend any younger blues fans it was not my intent it was just that Burke slating a youn Blues player in RB off continually slating him - I am not being patronising as a longstanding blues fan - as I have seen on the Goodison terraces great players go through hard times in Howard Kendall ,and Joe Royle get criticised at a young age -there were no keyboard warriors in those days , but belive me it went on!,

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back