Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I let myself in for it. The boy knows more about football facts and figures than almost everyone on here. He'll make me look foolish.

No, you're right. 22 is quite young for a keeper.

You can point at exceptions, Neuer was first choice in the CL by that time and so was de gea and Szczęsny. Casillas even won the Cl at 19. Even ruddy got his league debut for us at 20.

But that's quibbling, those are exceptional players and you're main point that 22 is quite young for a Pl keeper is fair enough. Certainly he was the youngest in the league last year, only Szczęsny and that lad at reading came close.

I was sure McManaman never had the bottle for 1st team football for a while so was held back a little. Didn't Martinez say that in the end they had to tell him on match day if he was playing because anytime before that McManaman would work himself up so much that he wasn't in the right mind to play.

I was sure McManaman never had the bottle for 1st team football for a while so was held back a little. Didn't Martinez say that in the end they had to tell him on match day if he was playing because anytime before that McManaman would work himself up so much that he wasn't in the right mind to play.

Yeah they'd tell him he wasn't playing because he'd be hyper and wouldn't sleep if he knew he was playing. Sounds like he wasn't ready until he was 22, which is something martinez has talked about recently. He said this country struggles to take youth players from 18/19 through to 21/22 even 23.

Artetafan knows f'kall.

You heard.

*spits on floor*

I think Barkley will do well under Martinez as he's much more of a "put your arm round" manager than Moyes is. That sounds like he's going to give him a reach around but never mind.

It's easy to say all that stuff about how he wasn't ready but when martinez did start him he looked ready.

Maybe because Martinez waited till he was ready?

on a less confusing note, I'm liking the idea of sexy kev, ross and delfoo rotating around like liquid, molten attacking football sex. back heels, flicks and goal of the month, EVERY fcuking month.

Last edited:
Yeah, we'll see.

I'm just naturally skeptical after 11 years of Davey 'I always give the kids a chance' Moyes. I can imagine Bobby telling us all how nervous barkley was and how he just wasn't ready to start games, yet.
This skeptcism is fairly well grounded but the manager hasnt really had the chance to not play them to make us all fume yet. From what I've read Martinez does seem to favour youth slightly more than our orange haired overlord and has made a few positive noises with regards to our younger players.

Very impressed with his first half performance against Blackburn. He looked a much well developed player with more confidence and composure, made it look easy on the ball. He has definitely put himself in contention of a first team place, I know it's only 1 game but he looked a class midfielder yesterday and he's got a hell of a shot on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back