Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the game yesterday and although Barkley did o k he did caught in possession a few times where he dwelled on the ball
I am sure he will be a great player for Everton and save them a lot of money, I trust Bobby to bring him along the right way.

It's funny how with Barkley people are watching and waiting for him to lose possession??? Then using it as a reason he's maybe not quite there yet...lol. Osman, pienaar, Gibson, the 25M rated Fellaini all lose possessions cheaply at times or at least once a game, the same as Barkley does.

He's gonna lose possession, he's the type of player who tries to make things happen so its inevitable he will lose the ball. As long as he's not doing it on the edge of our box then so be it.

Recken Moyes didn't really build him up cos he would rather play Neville for some weird reason. Moyes was so loyal to his players that he didn't even want competition in the team.

I Iove Roberto, there's so much positivity. It's great that he holds Barkley in similar regard to Deulofeu, in terms of raw talent at least. I think that's just exactly the kind of encouragement Barkley needs and will thrive on. I remember reading about Martinez being heavily in to the psychological side of the game, so if he's saying this about Barkley then I fully expect him to feature a lot more this season.

These were Moyes last words on Barkley, after the arsenal game
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2311833/David-Moyes-Ross-Barkley-Everton.html
There has been a lot of stuff said because he came in, he done okay and done better than against Tottenham, so I hope he is better again next time,’ said Moyes.
‘He has a lot of maturing to do and make sure he does not lose the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch. I can see he has got confidence from it, hopefully that will help. We have to bring him along and hope we get him better over the next year or two.

‘If you’re dropping your shoulder and losing it at the edge of their box it is not a problem but if you’re doing it at the edge of your box then it is a problem. They are the sort of things he has to come to terms with.’

Ross is still learning,’ said Moyes. ‘He has a long way to go and you should not expect to see him regular. If I think he is the best man for the job he will definitely play but we have had a lot of good players in the middle this year. I will play him when it is right.
‘When we went to Tottenham we did not have Fellaini or Pienaar, the other night we did not have Leon Osman. When he has got the opportunities he has to do it and he did well the other night. Are we having to find a role for him? That is something we have think about

Moyes says one thing, Martinez says another. Why are they so far apart in what they say? Complete opposite comments to each other. We all love what Martinez said because its what we've been saying as fans ourself. When Moyes dropped him, played him, forgot about him it was frustration for all of us. They both have their own ways of developing youngsters and I can't say Moyes has done a bad job in that department I.E Baines, Coleman, Rodwell, Rooney, Anichebe, Fellaini, they were relatively young and have developed well but with Barkley it's been a different regime. Martinez has the right idea though and he believes in playing lads if he thinks they are good enough and ready

the other night we did not have Leon Osman.

That sums up Moyes for me perfectly. Seemingly foregoing the chance of seeing some genuine raw talent develop in favour of a player who is tried, trusted by hardly ever likely to set the world alight (or wouldn't get close to the starting 11 for any of the other top 10 sides) is mind-boggling.

Roberto likes him

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-fc-boss-roberto-martinez-5377509

Roberto Martinez believes “diamond” Ross Barkley can make a big impact at Everton this season.

The 19-year-old midfielder turned in a sparkling display as the Blues’ pre-season preparations continued with a routine 3-1 win over SkyBet Championship side Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park on Saturday, and will be looking to make his mark on the Premier League in the coming campaign, having featured sporadically over the past two seasons.

Speaking about Barkley, Martinez said: “He is something special.

“In football when you describe a player, there are not many better descriptions than to say he’s an incredible football diamond.

“He’s still a young man, and he needs to learn the players around him. But I’m excited to have that process with him. He has got an incredible talent. You look at young players like Gerard Deulofeu and Ross Barkley – they are at that level.

“I am really pleased with his attitude, the way he listens and wants to learn. And when he is in full flow, he can be something special.

He added: “Ross is such a talented boy, and has an incredible appreciation of space, that he can play in many positions. Of course you want him as high up the pitch as you can because he can be lethal with his finishing ability.

“But it is about finding the right partnerships around him. At the moment he is a young man who is still learning when to use his talent and when he needs to do things for the team. The early signs have been really good and encouraging.”

Martinez was also encouraged by the form of striker Nikica Jelavic, who netted twice in his first pre-season outing.

“A goalscorer is a goalscorer,” he said. “In modern football, it is a bit unfair to rely on a player to score you 20-25 goals in a season. If you don’t do things well as a team, then you are not going to get the striker in good positions.

“That is what we are trying to develop now. A team that can be strong enough off the ball, a team that can create chances for our strikers to take.

“What we saw today was that Jelavic has come back with a really strong intention to have a good season.

“It is very important in any squad, to have competition. And with Niki, Arouna Kone, Victor Anichebe, Tolos Vellios, the competition for places is fantastic.

“I think what we saw against Blackburn was Jelavic telling us that he is prepared to work hard and help the team. That is what I want to see throughout the squad.

“I was really pleased with the manner he has come back, with the shape he has come back in, and the focus he has shown in his work.

“I am really excited to see in the next three weeks how these strikers go in their claims to start the first league game.”

Everton flew out to the USA on Sunday as they prepare to compete in the inaugural International Champions Cup. They face Italian champions Juventus in San Francisco in their opening game on Wednesday.

“It’s a phenomenal challenge,” Martinez said.

“To play Juventus and the other cup winners from around world football is very exciting, but for us, we shouldn’t forget that we are going there to try to master what we want to be good at.

“It is great to have that opposition, but what we are going there to do is to get better and to try and develop the final parts of our pre-season work, which is incredibly important if we are to start the season well from a physical point of view.”

These were Moyes last words on Barkley, after the arsenal game
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2311833/David-Moyes-Ross-Barkley-Everton.html
There has been a lot of stuff said because he came in, he done okay and done better than against Tottenham, so I hope he is better again next time,’ said Moyes.
‘He has a lot of maturing to do and make sure he does not lose the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch. I can see he has got confidence from it, hopefully that will help. We have to bring him along and hope we get him better over the next year or two.

‘If you’re dropping your shoulder and losing it at the edge of their box it is not a problem but if you’re doing it at the edge of your box then it is a problem. They are the sort of things he has to come to terms with.’

Ross is still learning,’ said Moyes. ‘He has a long way to go and you should not expect to see him regular. If I think he is the best man for the job he will definitely play but we have had a lot of good players in the middle this year. I will play him when it is right.
‘When we went to Tottenham we did not have Fellaini or Pienaar, the other night we did not have Leon Osman. When he has got the opportunities he has to do it and he did well the other night. Are we having to find a role for him? That is something we have think about

So it wasn't "right" to play him against Sunderland after he had such a great game against Arsenal?

KOFF Moyes, I'm glad you're not here anymore

I spoke to our polish goalie (Taudul) and he said that Martinez has completely different approach on youngsters than Moyes.

Roberto on his first day came to them and told them if they will work hard they'll get their chances in the first team - something Moyes never did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back