Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not wanting to bash Moyes here either, but it's impossible to talk about Ross Barkley and not mention how badly he was handled by his previous manager. He was dour and over-cautious with youth and we've had a decade of underdeveloped talent due to it.

That interview with Martinez is a breath of fresh air. Finally we have a manager who will have a bit of faith in a young footballer. Moyes had his strengths, but developing youth players certainly wasn't one of them.

I'm not wanting to bash Moyes here either, but it's impossible to talk about Ross Barkley and not mention how badly he was handled by his previous manager. He was dour and over-cautious with youth and we've had a decade of underdeveloped talent due to it.

That interview with Martinez is a breath of fresh air. Finally we have a manager who will have a bit of faith in a young footballer. Moyes had his strengths, but developing youth players certainly wasn't one of them.

And yet the media go on about Moyes and how good he is at developing youth players. Moyes was best with the over 23, he could spot a player who he could get much more out of such as Jags, Lescott, Mikel, Arteta, Cahill and Osman, this is where Moyes was best at.

It will be good to see the youngsters breaking into the team but we are a top half Premiership team, they have to be of a certain standard. I believe Barkley has the potential to hit that standard and more. I can't help thinking that Moyes was doing the right thing with him by gradually introducing him and taking him out.

Yes some of the timings of those ins/outs were baffling to say the least but for the good of his career long term i'm happy with him being nurtured. If Martinez thinks he is ready for the first team then I will trust his judgement on it, I think Barkley can be an important player for us for many years(or until a huge bid comes in), but only when he is ready.

Here's to hoping.

Last edited:
one thing moyes could do was SIGN a young player at a great price.

Thats pretty much moyes' strength tbh, his ability to sign really good players cheaply. He might make a better director of football than manager because generally our youngsters developed better when loaned out that they did at GP.

Were all on here crying for us to sign a £20M midfielder...Martinez might have seen enough in Barkley to convince him he doesnt have to. Barkley IMO is going to be an advanced midfielder rather than a DM who just sits in front of the defence and plays a 10 yard pass. Hes too good for that i reckon, his striking of a ball from outside the box could easily see him into double figures a season once he is a regular.

Yeah, there's nothing more inspiring as a football fan than seeing an exciting youngster letting rip and imagining what they may become. Regardless of what happened later, the feeling when Rooney scored that goal against Arsenal was way better than any debut goal by any bought-in striker.

Barkley has reached a point in his development where he needs to play regularly now to improve. Playing 20 minutes at the end isn't going to help him. He needs to start getting 60-90 minutes a week under his belt right now.

This is what Barkley should have been getting last season to be fair to be ready for this season.

A touch more experience, and he would have had 2 goals in the first half, with breaking the net.

He is going to be an absolute beast, and must of any Fantasy footy team.

Last edited:

Barkley should have been playing in place of Osman last season, who quite frankly was embarrassing. He's so finished it is unbelievable. I had to laugh when I saw his typical powderpuff shot in the friendly the other day. Even commentators laugh at his shooting nowadays. It was rubbish of Moyes to keep Barkley on the sidelines when Osman was so **** last campaign.

Barkley should have been playing in place of Osman last season, who quite frankly was embarrassing. He's so finished it is unbelievable. I had to laugh when I saw his typical powderpuff shot in the friendly the other day. Even commentators laugh at his shooting nowadays. It was rubbish of Moyes to keep Barkley on the sidelines when Osman was so **** last campaign.

I agree to an extent

I don't think Ossie was anywhere near as bad last season as most people on here do, but Barkley filled in for him at Arsenal and did a great job. From that point on, he should have been de-facto starter, IMO

I agree to an extent

I don't think Ossie was anywhere near as bad last season as most people on here do, but Barkley filled in for him at Arsenal and did a great job. From that point on, he should have been de-facto starter, IMO

That's one reason I am happy Moyes has gone.

His pathetic endless loyalty to the likes of Osman when he has been below standards for ages, refusal to drop Jags when he was stinking the place out for six months, comments such as "Hibbert is part of the furniture and will always have a place here", etc. Martinez hopefully will judge the players for what they are, and play those most deserving of playing, and not those who have been at the club the longest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back