Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkley just needs to play. You can not avoid growing pains in a young/new player. Its like a break-in period with new boots. A required first step, without which you can never get to the finished product. So what if his mistakes undermine the team for a while. Its a small price to be paid for years (if not sold) of great football.

Summed it up for me last season against Wigan (?) when he did more in 17 seconds than Neville did all season. Love to see him play that box to box midfielder.

Don't understand people writing Barkley off because he gives the ball away and sometimes picks the wrong pass. That's all about experience, not talent. The only way he will improve on this aspect of his game is to get game time and learn from these mistakes. Youngsters always make mistakes, but as time goes on he will make less and less.

Don't understand people writing Barkley off because he gives the ball away and sometimes picks the wrong pass. That's all about experience, not talent. The only way he will improve on this aspect of his game is to get game time and learn from these mistakes. Youngsters always make mistakes, but as time goes on he will make less and less.

I counted Jack Wilshere giving the ball away three times tonight.

Based on "Barkley Logic", we may as well write him off as a future star for Accrington Stanley at best.

There's things he does that have you thinking he's utterly nailed on for greatness and then two minutes later he'll execute a perfect assist for the opposition like he did against Betis. He is taking a while to iron out a few creases in his game. I'd like to believe he'll be okay and one day he'll be top class. I think comparing him to Wilshere is way off though. He's probably more talented, but Wilshere is almost the finished article, Ross most certainly isn't and while there's nothing wrong with giving the ball away on the odd occasion, Ross still has a slight tendency to make some very costly mistakes.

That said, he's in my starting XI for Norwich all day long.

I counted Jack Wilshere giving the ball away three times tonight.

Based on "Barkley Logic", we may as well write him off as a future star for Accrington Stanley at best.

Wilshire knows where to be on the pitch, constant intensity, picks up the ball from the back and carries it on all the way to the front, keeps a midfield ticking. Also, doesn't lose the ball when in possession. Doesn't Hollywood pass it all the time.

Barkley has none of these at the moment. Will only get it with regular games. He won't play regularly with us. If he does, expect it to be very frustrating.

Needs to become a solid, reliable player now.

Last edited:
As soon as he has a run of games them mistakes will be cut out. Seamus Coleman was allowed to make mistake after mistake the first half of last season and keep his place. Look at the lad now, I cant think of many right backs in the league I would swap him for.

Barkley will be fine after settling into the first team. For 2 years he has been terrified looking over at the bench in case Moyes has got the hump with him. The lad just needs games now. Stuart Pierce compared him to Gazza last night incidentally.

That's definitely a good case in point. I'm shocked when Coleman makes any kind of error now, which is testament to how far he's come in such a short space of time.

Hopefully we're saying similar things about Barkley soon.

Wilshire knows where to be on the pitch, constant intensity, picks up the ball from the back and carries it on all the way to the front, keeps a midfield ticking. Also, doesn't lose the ball when in possession. Doesn't Hollywood pass it all the time.

Barkley has none of these at the moment. Will only get it with regular games. He won't play regularly with us. If he does, expect it to be very frustrating.

Needs to become a solid, reliable player now.

Hmm not sure I agree. I haven't seen a huge amount of Wilshere (mostly due to his injuries) but his main asset seems to be giving and receiving the ball quickly. He might be a bit like Xavi, keeping the ball in constant motion without doing too many things that really stand out. I'm not sure it's a big feature of his game to trick his way past a defender, spread a long pass or shoot from distance.

When Barkley first started making first team appearances he was a real threat and he wanted to get within shooting range as quickly as he could. However, when I've seen him in pre-season he played more with his back to goal, picking the ball up and laying it off again. Possibly his early experiences have made him more cautious and he's now more concerned about not losing possession or making a mistake rather than taking a chance which might hurt the opposition.

I think that Ross has possibly got a broader repertoire of talents than Wilshere but that Jack is much more mature and intelligent in his play. I don't think that Barkley really knows what is expected of him at the moment and what type of a player he's going to turn out to be. He's looked neat on the ball whenever I've seen him and used his strength and skill well to retain possession. Perhaps his concentration waivers a bit though and that's why he makes some clangers? He's not going to be a first team fixture just yet but I think he's ready to get some serious game time under his belt this season.

He's got bags of natural ability on the ball, but he's now got to learn how to best use that ability & turn it into effective & consistent match day contributions.

For me he looks like a bit of a show pony at present & a potential liability at times, but as has been said, maybe he's trying to hard to impress, rather than just putting in a solid midfield performance.

I think it's too much to ask him to play CM at the minute. He won't know when he should be helping out his midfield partners and when he should gamble on getting forward and he's quite likely to chase all over the pitch trying to do too much. I'd start him out on the right and give him the straight-forward task of getting at the fullback when we're attacking and helping out Coleman when we're defending. He could probably get forward more from there than he could from central midfield and he'd be less of a liability if he gave the ball away.

Once he's mastered that we could move him inside again.

Is he 19? He's got 3 years to learn and develop before we expect him to have every aspect of the game learned. Like Coleman he needs time on the pitch to do that.

I saw plenty to feel excited about against Betis, plenty. He was the only player in blue to match the Spainards in midfield, and there were enough genuine quality - and I mean genuine, not solid if unspectular/promising/decent - moments to make me feel certain he will be a very good player.

It won't take more than 6 months at that rate before he's in the team full time unless we buy another CM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back