Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
From some saying Robles should be picked ahead of Howard based on preseason form :blink: to Man Utd won't bid on Felli until after the release clause has expired - so they make a lower bid :mellow: to being critical of a 19 yr old baby showing flair and being error prone.

What a barrel of laughs. Most on here would have crucified a 19 yr old Ronaldo. Anyone remember his first yr at Utd? Heaven fobid he tries something creative that doesn't come off.

Last edited:
As soon as he has a run of games them mistakes will be cut out. Seamus Coleman was allowed to make mistake after mistake the first half of last season and keep his place. Look at the lad now, I cant think of many right backs in the league I would swap him for.

Barkley will be fine after settling into the first team. For 2 years he has been terrified looking over at the bench in case Moyes has got the hump with him. The lad just needs games now. Stuart Pierce compared him to Gazza last night incidentally.

Pearce compared him to gazza, Owen compared his build, style on the ball etc to Rooney and keown said he'll be the most important English player we will see....

High praise for a lad who STILL hasn't had that run of top flight games to complete his transition to first team regular. As jags said he's a fully fledged first team player now and will be getting games. It will take a little time this season, but hold onto your hats guys were gonna fall in love, before he breaks out hearts like Rooney when the inevitable move happens!

One of the differences between Ross and Wilshere is that Ross has been developing under the cautious eye of Moyes whereas Wilshere's developed under the more adventurous style of Wenger.

This is not a Moyes bashing exercise, But there are obvious differences between him and Wenger.

He needs to play higher up the field. He tends to give away the ball too easily and we can't afford that on Saturday.

Hmm not sure I agree. I haven't seen a huge amount of Wilshere (mostly due to his injuries) but his main asset seems to be giving and receiving the ball quickly. He might be a bit like Xavi, keeping the ball in constant motion without doing too many things that really stand out. I'm not sure it's a big feature of his game to trick his way past a defender, spread a long pass or shoot from distance.

When Barkley first started making first team appearances he was a real threat and he wanted to get within shooting range as quickly as he could. However, when I've seen him in pre-season he played more with his back to goal, picking the ball up and laying it off again. Possibly his early experiences have made him more cautious and he's now more concerned about not losing possession or making a mistake rather than taking a chance which might hurt the opposition.

I think that Ross has possibly got a broader repertoire of talents than Wilshere but that Jack is much more mature and intelligent in his play. I don't think that Barkley really knows what is expected of him at the moment and what type of a player he's going to turn out to be. He's looked neat on the ball whenever I've seen him and used his strength and skill well to retain possession. Perhaps his concentration waivers a bit though and that's why he makes some clangers? He's not going to be a first team fixture just yet but I think he's ready to get some serious game time under his belt this season.

It why I've said previously that he doesn't really know where he's supposed to be or how to play a position effectively.

Also, it's why competitive games is where he'll learn that from.

So it's two choices for me, either let him do for us and play him regularly where it'll be hit and miss, and he'll probably need carrying. Or send him on loan.

I personally wouldn't rely on him at the moment if we want to be in that top 5 bracket.

Pearce compared him to gazza, Owen compared his build, style on the ball etc to Rooney and keown said he'll be the most important English player we will see....

High praise for a lad who STILL hasn't had that run of top flight games to complete his transition to first team regular. As jags said he's a fully fledged first team player now and will be getting games. It will take a little time this season, but hold onto your hats guys were gonna fall in love, before he breaks out hearts like Rooney when the inevitable move happens!

He should get plenty of games this season. Suppose we´ll also see a bit more from Osman if he´s not played week in week out. He´s reaching that age where players benefit from resting.

From some saying Robles should be picked ahead of Howard based on preseason form :blink: to Man Utd won't bid on Felli until after the release clause has expired - so they make a lower bid :mellow: to being critical of a 19 yr old baby showing flair and being error prone.

What a barrel of laughs. Most on here would have crucified a 19 yr old Ronaldo. Anyone remember his first yr at Utd? Heaven fobid he tries something creative that doesn't come off.

I think the worst thing that can happen to him is to make him terrified of his mistakes though.
Obviously he must work on eliminating them from his game, but I'd hate for it to be at the expense of his natural talent and flair.
I want him to be adventurous and exciting, not dependable and keeps-it-simple.
He'll make some mistakes, but so long as his positive creative moves far far outweigh them then I'm fine with that.

All players do that tho, people talk on here about him not going to make it because he gives the ball away once or twice in a game lol. All the others including a 25-30M Belgian do it and no one bats an eyelid.
Once or twice?

At the moment, for me, it is closer to retains possession once or twice than gives it away once or twice.

I agree with Azzuri, it is silly how he can do no wrong in some people's eyes. Yes, he has the potential to become a good player but at the moment he quite some way off fulfilling his promise.

In my opinion, we need to endure his errors at the moment because the positives that he brings to the side are invaluable, and are almost unique to him in our squad.

The lad has ability, no doubt, but some of us need to take them blue tinted glasses off for a second.

In the last few pages some people have been making comparisons with Wilshere, Gerrard and someone even brought up Zidane FFS, get a grip and give him time.

As for Stuart Pearce, he is a melt. If he thought he was so good why then did he only pick him once???? I would write down what Pearce said on a piece of paper, scrumble it up into a ball and set it on fire and then piss on it.

The lad has ability, no doubt, but some of us need to take them blue tinted glasses off for a second.

In the last few pages some people have been making comparisons with Wilshere, Gerrard and someone even brought up Zidane FFS, get a grip and give him time.

As for Stuart Pearce, he is a melt. If he thought he was so good why then did he only pick him once???? I would write down what Pearce said on a piece of paper, scrumble it up into a ball and set it on fire and then piss on it.

It's the only sensible course of action tbh.

The only way Barkley is going to iron out his errors is by getting regular game time. Gerrard was playing regularly for the RS at the same age and looked raw, but gradually improved with more games.

It why I've said previously that he doesn't really know where he's supposed to be or how to play a position effectively.

Also, it's why competitive games is where he'll learn that from.

So it's two choices for me, either let him do for us and play him regularly where it'll be hit and miss, and he'll probably need carrying. Or send him on loan.

I personally wouldn't rely on him at the moment if we want to be in that top 5 bracket.

He probably makes one or two mistakes per game where he passes it straight to the opposition in a dangerous area, but if we analysed the senior players they possibly make a lot of similar mistakes. I'm not sure that it would be good for us to give a 19 year old from Barcelona first team experience whilst sending our own starlet out on loan.

As someone else has said Seamus was very raw at first and I think he gave away a couple of penalties, as well as freekicks in dangerous areas. And he was caught out up field a few times. I feel that we need to tolerate his mistakes and make sure he learns from them. The adrenaline is no doubt pumping and he's probably flagging towards the hour mark, which could explain his dips in concentration. The more that he plays the less of an issue it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back