Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is as simple as this.

Quite possibly. There's a lot more focus on Barkley when he has the ball, and so a lot more focus on his mistakes.

Evertonians just love to moan. We've got real problems at the club -- save your energy for our vampiric chairman, not for one of the few reasons we have to be genuinely optimistic.

With more game time Ross will blossom. He's one of those rare creatures that actually look like he was built to be a footballer, 6'2" a great upright stance and always aware of whats around him,he just needs time on the pitch to mature and hopefully RM will give him that time.He could also be one to watch for the full England squad in the near future.Like someone posted earlier in the thread our biggest worry could be trying to hold onto him come next summer.

It's the only sensible course of action tbh.

The only way Barkley is going to iron out his errors is by getting regular game time. Gerrard was playing regularly for the RS at the same age and looked raw, but gradually improved with more games.

Gerrard didn't become a regular for them until he was 21. Very few player play regular PL until that age.Even the most promising.

Gerrard didn't become a regular for them until he was 21. Very few player play regular PL until that age.Even the most promising.

21? He made his England debut and went to Euro 2000 aged 20. I remember him starting to make a name for himself at the RS and getting the odd goal at 19. Could be wrong though. I can't be bothered to Google it to be honest.

21? He made his England debut and went to Euro 2000 aged 20. I remember him starting to make a name for himself at the RS and getting the odd goal at 19. Could be wrong though. I can't be bothered to Google it to be honest.

I remember him coming through and being talked about around that time and he played RB for them for a bit too. But I don't think he played consistently until then.

In my opinion, we need to endure his errors at the moment because the positives that he brings to the side are invaluable, and are almost unique to him in our squad.

How many assists or goals did he score in pre season?

All the positives seem to be based on what he could do rather than what he can or has.

Think Gerrard was a regular by 19-20.

The issue I had with Moyes re. Barkley was less that he wasn't starting but that he rarely made sub appearances at times when we were lacking in creativity. Him coming off the bench against tired legs for the final 15 minutes of games will be a real asset this season. If he does it fairly regularly in the first few months he may very well be first choice next year.

How many assists or goals did he score in pre season?

All the positives seem to be based on what he could do rather than what he can or has.

Aye he hasn´t done it yet but when I see him play there´s no doubt for me that he´ll start banging them in quite quickly if played.

He probably makes one or two mistakes per game where he passes it straight to the opposition in a dangerous area, but if we analysed the senior players they possibly make a lot of similar mistakes. .

Bingo, there was about 3-4 times last season a Phil Neville mistake led directly to a goal (QPR away and Wigan immediately come to mind), this was our club captain who just happened to be one of the most experienced players in the game, not some little snot nose from the academy.

I'd rather see an up and coming local lad with a terrific buzz about him make mistakes then some f*cking 37 year old has been.

The likes of Barkley can sway an extra 1-2 thousand into coming to the game each week, football is a sport and a results business but it's also a form of entertainment, we haven't been a particularly entertaining football team for a very long time (not to our detriment, mind) and lads like Barkley and Delufoyuefouy can change this.

This is the season for Barkley, if they have any doubt he will be sent out on loan.
However, our squad is lean, one recruit is a keeper, another a serial sicknote, another a raw talent from Barca and then there is Kone. Unless we get more bodies in Ross will need to the boss.

He probably makes one or two mistakes per game where he passes it straight to the opposition in a dangerous area, but if we analysed the senior players they possibly make a lot of similar mistakes. I'm not sure that it would be good for us to give a 19 year old from Barcelona first team experience whilst sending our own starlet out on loan.

As someone else has said Seamus was very raw at first and I think he gave away a couple of penalties, as well as freekicks in dangerous areas. And he was caught out up field a few times. I feel that we need to tolerate his mistakes and make sure he learns from them. The adrenaline is no doubt pumping and he's probably flagging towards the hour mark, which could explain his dips in concentration. The more that he plays the less of an issue it will be.

But they're reliable players who have delivered, so you can't compare a player with X amount of goals or assists losing the ball to a player who has nothing to back it up.

And the flip of the coin is... If Barca can send one of their starlets on loan to learn his craft, why is ours so precious?

As for Coleman... He adjusted to a position at a higher level. On the back of a great season where he was nominated for PFA young player of the year.

Compare him to Rodwell who was a ready made premiership player at 18. Someone you could easily start and deliver at a high level.

Barkley has talent. My personal belief if that it will make him a better player playing a full competitive season. His development will be slower playing the odd game here or there with us, it could also have an effect on the league games if he's not cutting it.

Last edited:
This is the season for Barkley, if they have any doubt he will be sent out on loan.
However, our squad is lean, one recruit is a keeper, another a serial sicknote, another a raw talent from Barca and then there is Kone. Unless we get more bodies in Ross will need to the boss.

Agreed.

It´s not a loan he needs it´s first team football in the premiership. For him to go down a division would be a step back. It´s not "toughening up" he needs it´s fine tuning awareness, passing, tactics etc. He´ll need to play at the top level to get that.

I think the worst thing that can happen to him is to make him terrified of his mistakes though.
Obviously he must work on eliminating them from his game, but I'd hate for it to be at the expense of his natural talent and flair.
I want him to be adventurous and exciting, not dependable and keeps-it-simple.
He'll make some mistakes, but so long as his positive creative moves far far outweigh them then I'm fine with that.

Spot on, let the kid go out there and play freely. Let him make mistakes. His time is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back