Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the rumours true that you lived in his childhood home a few years ago.

seriously, he has the talent and ability and no doubt he will make mistakes but as long as hr grows and learns from them, im ok with it.

But, he needs game time. As mentioned earlier, Gerrard took a while to get going and he put it down to nerves. We need to give Rossatron time.

I know I have a weird penchant for claiming to live in places, but even I wouldn't admit I lived in South Liverpool mate. Sack that.

He'll be sold for tens of millions (hopefully years from now). Some players have just 'got it'. He's one, and has had that about him for a while, tbf. Rooney was the last one through with that level of ability and room to progress. Just needs to mature and pick his moment when to go short rather than look all the time for the killer penetrating pass; and screen the ball and/or go to ground rather than open his body up and risk being stripped of the ball (especially in his own half). The kid's going to be a superstar.

I had you down as a bitter drinker when Moyes was in charge Davek. I reckon it's white wine spritzers all the way these days.

But they're reliable players who have delivered, so you can't compare a player with X amount of goals or assists losing the ball to a player who has nothing to back it up.

And the flip of the coin is... If Barca can send one of their starlets on loan to learn his craft, why is ours so precious?

As for Coleman... He adjusted to a position at a higher level. On the back of a great season where he was nominated for PFA young player of the year.

Compare him to Rodwell who was a ready made premiership player at 18. Someone you could easily start and deliver at a high level.

Barkley has talent. My personal belief if that it will make him a better player playing a full competitive season. His development will be slower playing the odd game here or there with us, it could also have an effect on the league games if he's not cutting it.

But then you'd expect an experienced player not to lose the ball and an academy product to find the occasion and the pace of the game difficult to get to grips with. If he's not making any more mistakes than seasoned professionals he's doing well in my book.

Deulofeu and Barkley are arguably of a similar level. They're both 19. Deulofeu has 2 senior appearances compared to Ross' 13. And Deulofeu has 7 U21 caps (3 goals) to Barkley's 5 (1). If we offer first team playing time to the Barca player at the expense of our own player I think it hampers their develop and sends out a message that we don't have that much faith in our own academy.

We could say that Rodwell had an easier position to master because his job was to shield the defence and he always had a senior partner alongside him doing the same job. If we're expecting Barkley to play in a more advanced position he needs to learn positional sense, when to pass and when to run with the ball, when to shoot, how to find space, how to impose himself on a game and what his defensive responsibilities are.

If we're going to play Mirallas on the right I think it's too much to give Barkley the playmaker role in the middle. I'd put the Belgian behind Jelavic, so that he's closer to goal and he has the freedom to drift wherever he wants. We then have Barkley, Deulofeu and Naismith who we can rotate on the right. I'd be more than happy if Ross and the young Spaniard shared duties on our right hand side.

But then you'd expect an experienced player not to lose the ball and an academy product to find the occasion and the pace of the game difficult to get to grips with. If he's not making any more mistakes than seasoned professionals he's doing well in my book.

Deulofeu and Barkley are arguably of a similar level. They're both 19. Deulofeu has 2 senior appearances compared to Ross' 13. And Deulofeu has 7 U21 caps (3 goals) to Barkley's 5 (1). If we offer first team playing time to the Barca player at the expense of our own player I think it hampers their develop and sends out a message that we don't have that much faith in our own academy.

We could say that Rodwell had an easier position to master because his job was to shield the defence and he always had a senior partner alongside him doing the same job. If we're expecting Barkley to play in a more advanced position he needs to learn positional sense, when to pass and when to run with the ball, when to shoot, how to find space, how to impose himself on a game and what his defensive responsibilities are.

If we're going to play Mirallas on the right I think it's too much to give Barkley the playmaker role in the middle. I'd put the Belgian behind Jelavic, so that he's closer to goal and he has the freedom to drift wherever he wants. We then have Barkley, Deulofeu and Naismith who we can rotate on the right. I'd be more than happy if Ross and the young Spaniard shared duties on our right hand side.

Very good post IMHO. Fully agree. Though if at any time we played a central midfield 3 then Barkley could play more centrally as he'd have another 2 alongside him.

Mistakes happen. And I'm not having a go at him misplacing passes. He can't tackle and he's got weak upper body strength.

You can say the same with Osman. But he's a very intelligent player who has high intensity to his game, he won't stop running and hassling.

As for Delafeou. He played in the Spanish 2nd division for 2 seasons I think. Maybe 1. And ripped it up. That gives him for more experience than Barkley.

Also, it's not really about the position Rodwell played, it was more that he was a rounded and solid premiership player. A kind of walk before you can run idea. Barkley started of running before he could walk. Needs to learn how to walk.

And as you mentioned, all those come with games. Which is what I've wanted him to get. I just want him to be 1st team ready to add to the squad, rather than a squad player still learning.

Mistakes happen. And I'm not having a go at him misplacing passes. He can't tackle and he's got weak upper body strength.

You can say the same with Osman. But he's a very intelligent player who has high intensity to his game, he won't stop running and hassling.

As for Delafeou. He played in the Spanish 2nd division for 2 seasons I think. Maybe 1. And ripped it up. That gives him for more experience than Barkley.

Also, it's not really about the position Rodwell played, it was more that he was a rounded and solid premiership player. A kind of walk before you can run idea. Barkley started of running before he could walk. Needs to learn how to walk.

And as you mentioned, all those come with games. Which is what I've wanted him to get. I just want him to be 1st team ready to add to the squad, rather than a squad player still learning.

I wouldn't say that tackling is one of his greatest attributes (which is why I wouldn't want him to be used as a 'deep-lying playmaker') and it wouldn't surprise if he gets himself sent off this season for some over-enthusiastic ball-winning. I've seen him shielding the ball surprisingly well though, especially when the opposition have doubled up on him and he's got himself out of it. Don't forget he's 6' 2 and is still to fill out properly.

Maybe it's strange that Martinez is asking the fans to be patient with Deulofeu but not Barkley? I've seen them both playing in pre-season and, if I didn't know better, I would say that Ross was the one from La Masia. He's been more constantly involved in play, whereas Gerard has only shown flashes.

It's tricky to know what to do for the best. We've sent him on loan to the Championship before and Leeds used him on the right of midfield and then left him out. What side is going to give a 19 year old their head in the position that we want him to play, behind the striker? Wenger had the courage to play Wilshere in his natural position from the off. I agree with you that it would be a massive gamble to put Ross in the hole and he would need to contribute goals and assists to justify his selection.

"I've been very impressed with the youngsters," the former Wigan boss said.

"Ross Barkley and John Stones have really surprised me. I knew they had a fantastic future, but what they've got is a very special present, and that excites me.

"You always need to keep looking to try to help the players we've got at the club but we're not looking for a specific number. If we don't bring anyone in, I'll be happy."

I was rooting though a few England videos past and present before the match the other day ...came across gazza against holland in euro 96 .. Just thought to myself Barkley needs to watch this ..never got onto how good gazza played

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back