Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although i also have fell in love with Martinez, it's a bit stupid to say he's already better than moyes at bringing youth through. Barkleys started one game so far, he also started at QPR, under Moyes.

If he continues to play him for a run of games, then fair enough you can say it then. But until then he hasn't proven to be better at moyes at bringing through the youth.
Moyes made the guy nervous, read this from Moyes on Barkley
There has been a lot of stuff said because he came in, he done okay and done better than against Tottenham, so I hope he is better again next time,’ said Moyes.
‘He has a lot of maturing to do and make sure he does not lose the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch. I can see he has got confidence from it, hopefully that will help. We have to bring him along and hope we get him better over the next year or two.

‘If you’re dropping your shoulder and losing it at the edge of their box it is not a problem but if you’re doing it at the edge of your box then it is a problem. They are the sort of things he has to come to terms with.’

Martinez on Barkley

The Everton manager said: "Football is a game of errors but what I look for from players is how you react to a mistake: does it stop you getting on the ball again? Do you come a bit more cagey? What I have seen from Ross is that it doesn't matter whether he makes a mistake, he is ready to get on the ball again. When a player does that, I have no problems whatsoever.
"Mistakes are going to happen and as a team you have to be prepared for that sometimes and get your team-mate out of jail. Ross has got such an incredible talent that we need to help him, so he knows how to control that. I have never seen Ross make a mistake and then be affected in the next action. You know that somewhere down the line he is going to get rid of those mistakes."
Barkley returned to the England Under-21s after a near two-year absence on Tuesday, appearing as a substitute and scoring in the 6-0 defeat of Scotland, but Martínez says there is no pressure on the academy graduate to make this his breakthrough season at Goodison.
"I wouldn't give him an ultimatum," added the manager. "I can only speak about what I have seen from a really impressive young man. He and John Stones have both been at a very good level this summer. John played against Juventus and was man of the match

Leon Osman: the guy must feel untouchable. Completely stunk the place out last season but was constantly first name on the team sheet. Looked woeful all pre season then gets picked for first game. Worst player by a mile in first game, gets to carry on in the team? The guy is badly past it, I can't even see him in an Everton shirt nowadays without getting worked up. He'll turn into a joke figure under Martinez if he's picked and rewarded for being rubbish.
xxxxxx

There has been a lot of stuff said because he came in, he done okay and done better than against Tottenham, so I hope he is better again next time,’ said Moyes.
‘He has a lot of maturing to do and make sure he does not lose the ball in the wrong areas of the pitch. I can see he has got confidence from it, hopefully that will help. We have to bring him along and hope we get him better over the next year or two.

‘If you’re dropping your shoulder and losing it at the edge of their box it is not a problem but if you’re doing it at the edge of your box then it is a problem. They are the sort of things he has to come to terms with.’

Martinez on Barkley

The Everton manager said: "Football is a game of errors but what I look for from players is how you react to a mistake: does it stop you getting on the ball again? Do you come a bit more cagey? What I have seen from Ross is that it doesn't matter whether he makes a mistake, he is ready to get on the ball again. When a player does that, I have no problems whatsoever.
"Mistakes are going to happen and as a team you have to be prepared for that sometimes and get your team-mate out of jail. Ross has got such an incredible talent that we need to help him, so he knows how to control that. I have never seen Ross make a mistake and then be affected in the next action. You know that somewhere down the line he is going to get rid of those mistakes."
Barkley returned to the England Under-21s after a near two-year absence on Tuesday, appearing as a substitute and scoring in the 6-0 defeat of Scotland, but Martínez says there is no pressure on the academy graduate to make this his breakthrough season at Goodison.
"I wouldn't give him an ultimatum," added the manager. "I can only speak about what I have seen from a really impressive young man. He and John Stones have both been at a very good level this summer. John played against Juventus and was man of the match

Spot on. It's chalk and cheese really.

Martinez on Barkley

Best example yet of how Moyes going will actually be a positive.

His handling of Barkley was poor.

Last edited:
Why are there clowns on Twitter claiming Barkley is a Liverpool fan? It's well known he grew up an Everton fan.

Would a Liverpool fan get a massive tattoo on his forearm of the date he made his Everton first team debut? Clearly that mattered to him a great deal:

rossbarkleytatoo.png

Best example yet of how Moyes going may not be the worst thing in the world that everyone makes it out to be.

His handling of Barkley was poor.

...and fundamentally it comes down to this: Moyes was a man obsessed with his own status - and if that meant a point or two could be lost in any season by blooding a player like Ross he'd avoid it; Martinez appears at least to be more obsessed with carrying through a longer term plan based on proving his system can be successful and so opens the team up to emerging talent.

Chalk and cheese, indeed.

Last edited:
Barkley was superb,great to see one of our youngsters playing with such confidence and given the freedom of the pitch to showcase his talents.
A box to box midfielder with the ability to score goals,strong on the ball strong off the ball,good vision.
Wow, he's going to fit right in with Roberto's new look Everton.

I was so impressed with Barkley yesterday. At the risk of sounding like Brendan Rodgers, it was the first time I've seen him 'play like a man' (sorry), but seriously - he was excellent. His surging runs and being the driving force in our midfield was a sight to behold. It was Gerrard-in-his-prime-esque.

If he can do that consistently, we will have a hell of a player on our hands. He could be future captain material. He's the type of player you build a side around.

Just for once I'd love us to keep hold of someone like that, and for that player to love the club so much that he wants to stay and wants to become a club legend.

He's cared enough so far to have a massive Everton-related tattoo placed on his forearm (date he made his EFC debut in Roman numerals), so perhaps Barkley is that guy.

Imagine what he´ll after three-four years of seasoning. World class probably.

Why are there clowns on Twitter claiming Barkley is a Liverpool fan? It's well known he grew up an Everton fan.

Would a Liverpool fan get a massive tattoo on his forearm of the date he made his Everton first team debut? Clearly that mattered to him a great deal:

rossbarkleytatoo.png

At least they're progressing mate. The last stuff I saw from their fans on twitter was them calling the lad a 'half-chat' who could play for Nigeria.

It's great to have a proper Evertonian playing for us, and a potentially world class one at that.

It makes it just that little easier to support us when you've got a lad out there doing what every single one of us would do if we had the ability to do so. It's just so great to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back