Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish people would stop using Martinez and Ross and an excuse to beat Moyes.

It stinks of bitterness like a dumped boyfriend.

Can't we just move on?

Leon Osman: the guy must feel untouchable. Completely stunk the place out last season but was constantly first name on the team sheet. Looked woeful all pre season then gets picked for first game. Worst player by a mile in first game, gets to carry on in the team? The guy is badly past it, I can't even see him in an Everton shirt nowadays without getting worked up. He'll turn into a joke figure under Martinez if he's picked and rewarded for being rubbish.

He stunk his way to his first England cap last season...

Can't we just move on?

It's a valid point though. A big part of Barkley is talking about how he's not done much in the last 2 years, and a big part of that is Moyes.

By calling out Moyes' cowardice people are getting behind Ross as much as they are complaining about Moyes.

He played in the same team as Gibson vs Betis and has featured heavily in pre-season.

Fellaini wasn't fit for the Betis game. IT's conjecture either way I guess but I just don't think Barkley would've played.

However, Martinez bigging him up and giving him confidence s obviously the superior way to handle him, He seems to be the sort that needs an arm round the shoulder rather than harsh words to motivate him.

How do we know that had Martinez been here last season he'd have started Barkley regularly and how do we know that had Moyes stayed here, he wouldn't have increased Barkley's playing time this year?

The quote above speaks volumes about his opinion on how he was brought through. We were careful with him (understandable given his injury history) and he's now reaping the rewards. Every time a young player who is rated above most of his peers doesn't come through etc it's because Moyes "ruined him" or "hates/is scared of youth" and when they do come through Moyes has always "done his best to ruin him and wasted years leaving him on the bench, Moyes has got lucky etc". This almost all comes from people who don't and haven't watched him regularly during the times he wasn't in the first team, whereas the lad himself clearly has no qualms with it and is still way off his 20th birthday.

I moaned about not seeing Barkley in the team recently too, but if you'd told me he'd come through and look the real deal by 19 and look like fulfilling his potential having been given extra time to develop, I'd have supported the patience with him.

Can't we just move on?

No, because the emergence of Barkley under Martinez will directly be compared to how Barkley stalled under Moyes, and how Martinez talks up Barkley whereas Moyes talked him down.

Sick of people who won't hear a bad word said about Moyes. He did many great things for us, but he lied to us all for 6 months plus about him being undecided on staying, when the decision had been made at Christmas. He made mistakes too, and I genuinely believe his handling of Barkley (and to an extent Shane Duffy) is one of them.

As for 'Barkley: I owe Moyes everything', well, I'm sure there is some truth in Barkley's level of gratitude, but I'd take quotes like that with a pinch of salt, similar to 'Rooney: There are no problems between me and Moyes, we have settled our differences'. People say things that are politically correct, that often aren't reflective of reality.

Fellaini wasn't fit for the Betis game. IT's conjecture either way I guess but I just don't think Barkley would've played.

However, Martinez bigging him up and giving him confidence s obviously the superior way to handle him, He seems to be the sort that needs an arm round the shoulder rather than harsh words to motivate him.

This.

It's a different way of man management. It'll do Barkley the world of good.

But stabs at Moyes (I am in the camp of that he could've sent him on loan all season or played him more) aren't overly justified when you look at where the team as a whole finished in the league.

If Martinez finishes 8th or 9th playing Ross all season, where Moyes didn't and finished 6th, that'll be where Moyes was coming from.

Just a natural changing of the guard. If Ross develops as we hope we will see less and less of Ossie who will become a squad player. The speed of this is probably reliant on Ross more than Ossie.

Same happened with Seamus and Hibbo.

The lad arrived yesterday..hell of a goal. if he can stay clear of problems off the pitch, keep his head down and remember who got him here to this point then he has every chance.

If he can put in performances week in and week out then he has a chance to see a lot off football in a blue shirt, he tired after 70mins yesterday which is to be expected for a lad his age.

He has to realize that in a small squad you cannot go missing in games as we can,t carry passengers > looks to a few players yesterday.

The moment he scored reminded me of when Rooney scored his goal at 19....lets hope Bill can keep him a bit longer.

Really pleased for the lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back