Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's 19 and the most natural player I've seen in a long time
In his position he wont be fully mature until he's at least 21
He has the potential to be the best player in the league by then.

Six months ago people on this very forum were saying he hasn't got what it takes, was nowhere near ready for the first team, wouldn't even make an impact off the bench for Everton and would struggle to get in your average Championship side.

Six months later he's in the England squad.

Scenes.
Funny isn't it...left out, not enough game time, manager changes, two consecutive games, England squad.

I can never understand the lack of pleasure shown by Evertonians when one of their own players recieves International recognition. This is another credit to the club, along with all those in the last 100+ years who have represented their country, and so their club, with the distinction that this honour brings. Well done to Ross Barkley, the latest in a long line of Internationals produced or nurtured by our great club. I know that this traditional view will not please those of you with an agenda that seeks to do nothing more than denigrate and criticise our club but I'm afraid thats the way I see it. Unfortunately, for many reasons far beyond football, we have become a country of moaners and whingers, were nothing pleases, and this is very obvious when applied to football supporters. Well done to Ross, you are the next in the line of greats, I hope you serve your country with the same distinction as those who have gone before you. Labone,Jagielka, Wilson,and the rest.

I wouldn't mind him being called up for Scotland, Wales, Ireland or Nigeria mate but you're overlooking the fact that this will probably damage Everton in the long run. Unlike being from some small wool town I support Everton not England mate, so I want what's best for us. By us I mean Everton.

Yeah.

Except it's not. In any way.
It is mate. You are crowing about Barkley getting in the England squad and reminding people how they doubted his ability. When Moyes went to United people then remind others about how they doubted his ability. This annoyed you at the time I seem to remember. How's that different then?

It is mate. You are crowing about Barkley getting in the England squad and reminding people how they doubted his ability. When Moyes went to United people then remind others about how they doubted his ability. How's that different then?

Actually no, I was praising his ability six months ago based on what I saw with my eyes, nothing more.

I'm pointing out how a run of games in the Everton first team has led to him blooming as a player. Something that David Moyes denied him.

Just because David Moyes has the Man United job means nothing about his ability as a manager until he's actually done something. Barkley's call up to the England squad means nothing either. However, it IS indicative of how poorly handled by Moyes he was; so much so that six months ago under his management he was deemed not good enough for our bench.

This was my opinion six months ago:

Look, all t*ttishness aside, the reason I'm a "Barkley Believer" is because of the QPR game. As someone said earlier, every time he got on the ball the crowd held their breath because it was crystal clear that the lad was something special. It's just his stature.

There's two midfielders of this generation where I've thought "they're the next big thing" without question. One of them, Jack Wilshere, is well on his way to becoming it. Barkley, thanks to giving away a penalty once, hasn't been let of the leash.

Those who believe in Barkley simply haven't seen anything since that QPR game to justify his complete and utter demotion from the first team squad. Maybe he has deteriorated badly since then, who knows, but for me it seems extremely unlikely as the lad has definite pure talent.

The likely reason is because of his mentality, but you gain that via first team experience, so that's the frustration for me - it's a catch 22; maybe he hasn't got the mentality to hold shape or whatever, but he's surely worth a place on the bench for the games when we're a goal or two down and we need to roll the dice?

It's an indictment of his poor handling that he didn't get a chance to shine.

Last edited:
I just reckon young players these days don't earn their call up. Yes I reckon he is good enough, but let him earn it through half a season to at least get a sense of appreciation.

This should apply to all the youngsters by the way not just specific to Barkley.

Actually no, I was praising his ability six months ago based on what I saw with my eyes, nothing more.

I'm pointing out how a run of games in the Everton first team has led to him blooming as a player. Something that David Moyes denied him.

Just because David Moyes has the Man United job means nothing about his ability as a manager until he's actually done something. Barkley's call up to the England squad means nothing either. However, it IS indicative of how poorly handled by Moyes he was; so much so that six months ago under his management he was deemed not good enough for our bench.
Just as Ross' call up doesn't necessarily mean Ross has made it. He has had a good run of form and its nice to see it rewarded but he hasn't really done all that much himself. It's also not necessarily an indication that Moyes handled him badly, though that could be the case. Moyes could have done everything right by him up untill he left and Martinez just picked up where he left off. We don't know. There is a degree of hypocrisy in what you say and what you've said. Like I said, not getting at you, merely pointing it out.

Just as Ross' call up doesn't necessarily mean Ross has made it. He has had a good run of form and its nice to see it rewarded but he hasn't really done all that much himself. It's also not necessarily an indication that Moyes handled him badly, though that could be the case. Moyes could have done everything right by him up untill he left and Martinez just picked up where he left off. We don't know. There is a degree of hypocrisy in what you say and what you've said. Like I said, not getting at you, merely pointing it out.

Why didn't you bold the line after it which said exactly that?

There's no hypocrisy whatsoever, for the reasons I've just stated.

He's earned a full England call up off a good performance and boss goal in one Premier League game with Soccer AM beauts and the media saying nice things about him.

He's been playing very well for the England under ages as well TBF. Plus Woy was in charge so he'll have seen him training with them.

At least we're not crying about southern media bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back