Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just can't see how we could buy a replacement without selling first. I'm still amazed that we have spent 30 million plus this window. If Martinez knows of some grizzled 34 year old playmaker from South America we can bring in on a free then I'm all for that.

Holding my breath on this one.

Please don't.

image.webp

Found it interesting that the injury seems to have forced Lukaku to start, with Naismith dropping back to Barkley's role.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/17/leicester-city-everton-premier-league-match-report

Pienaar looked great on the left with baines last match, one of the few bright spots, but i'd be tempted to give him a go behind Rom with us having kev, atsu, and mcgeady avaible on the wings as well. or play a 433 with mccarthy barry besic ( gibson and ossie for rotation) in the midfield

Martinez has clarified his comments, seems slighly more hopeful that it will the shorter time out although won't know until the next scans.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/roberto-martinez-update-ross-barkley-7628730
The club are unable to predict how long the England man will be out but initial assessments suggest he will be sidelined for two months. Blues boss Roberto Martinez, speaking immediately after Saturday’s 2-2 draw at the King Power Stadium, sparked fears that Barkley could be out for five months saying: “We know there is a partial tear of the ligament and that could mean anything from seven weeks to four or five months, so we need to be cautious.”

But when asked later if he thought it was realistic that Barkley could be sidelined for the rest of the calendar year, Martinez replied: “No, we are going to be expecting the next set of scans as late as Wednesday or Thursday to make sure the inflammation is not in the knee.

“Medial ligament injuries could go from six weeks up to a longer period but it is not an injury that should rule him out for the season.”Martinez added: “Injuries and suspensions are part of the game. It’s not an advantage or a disadvantage. We all share the same problems.“It is important that we get Ross Barkley back fully fit as quickly as we can because September is going to be a very busy month and without Ross it is going to put more pressure and strains on other players.”

At last. Some helpful comments and clarifications. It seems that certain news outlets were going OTT in what Martinez actually said.

Wait for the scans and cross your fingers and toes, touch wood and pray to ye gods of GOT.

I reckon we should give McCarthy a go in Ross' position against some of the worse teams at home, with Besic in the middle with Barry. His ball retention and decision making are class so we could almost use him as a pivot outside the box for the wingers/full backs to work around. Plus it'll put him in a situation where he has to be more creative and take players on which will benefit his overall game because I'd say they're his only real flaws.

I reckon we should give McCarthy a go in Ross' position against some of the worse teams at home, with Besic in the middle with Barry. His ball retention and decision making are class so we could almost use him as a pivot outside the box for the wingers/full backs to work around. Plus it'll put him in a situation where he has to be more creative and take players on which will benefit his overall game because I'd say they're his only real flaws.

No. We need a goal scorer in that position. That position should be filled by Naismith.

I don't see McCarthy being able to pull off that role to be honest. He's a good player but he doesn't really make things happen creatively. Gibson would be a better option but I'm happy witching Naismith there while he's playing well.

Got to disagree, not that type of player and not a player that needs developing in different positions. He has his role and he is damn good at it. We have enough cover for that position, even if they are not the same class as Barkley but Mirallas, Pienaar, Naismith, McGeady and Osman can all play that role.

Maybe I am crazy BUT was thinking that McGeady might not be a bad option there...allowing us to play Mirallas on the right and Atsu on the left...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back