Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok that I won't disagree with you on actually. I think Barry's position is one where either Ckeverly or Besic can really compete for and make us that little bit more dynamic and offensive. Barry doesn't commit anyone and is only good to be passed back to when we've run out of options. Puts way too much pressure on some of our creative players.
Yeah Cleverly was actually someone that I thought would have helped in that derby, problem for him is he may have to play out of position for a season, same for Besic if he gets himself fit, I think games like that really highlight how tough it is to replace Pienaar

It's like the tone of tyldsley? I think he was the commentator voice when Ross lost the ball
It was like stop the game and get him off the pitch
Yet 2mins before the Ox gave a simple pass straight to the opposition and nothing is said

You get ex players tweeting when he looses the ball colymore on talk sport before the game saying Ali will be a better long term player as Ross will always be inconsistent
He maybe right time will tell
And I don't want to see Ali get tarnished with the Barkley brush
But he lost the ball in a dangerous spot late in the the game and the commentators said nothing
No tweets about if he does that against Germany or Spain
Sadly Ross and us as Everton fans will have to keep listening to this crap off the media and other fans
This has all come from Roy having a go in that pre World Cup friendly

Yet a bet barkleys passing stats for England are as good as intone over the last 18months even Wiltshire's and better than most of the others

The commentator off 5 live think it maybe John Murray?
Picked his team for the Euro's
Didn't have Ross, had Henderson Milner & Wiltshire I think?
And stones at right back wtf
Does he even watch Everton
And this guy gets paid for this
I remember Horrenderson getting 64% pass completion for England, can imagine if that was Ross and what would be said, fair play to Hodgeson though, I think he regrets coming across so harsh on him and has been very positive since, I said before the recent game with comparison with totti and baggio that Roy would never have the balls to play Ross deeper, he proved me wrong on that score, and I think Ross is so much better when he can influence the tempo, and it's not just the flash skills then that make him such a good player

Man United were only successful with 2 centre-mids who were less inclined to defend (although Carrick isn't bad at it) because they spent the majority of the game in possession and scoring goals. Defensive midfielders automatically become unimportant the minute you have the ball in essence.
I'm afraid I don't agree, the very best at least recycle the ball in a effective manner, players can't always go forwards either, sometimes a pass back can create angles and space, and that really helps when the DM has some technique

Last edited:
I remember Horrenderson getting 64% pass completion for England, can imagine if that was Ross and what would be said, fair play to Hodgeson though, I think he regrets coming across so harsh on him and has been very positive since, I said before the recent game with comparison with totti and baggio that Roy would never have the balls to play Ross deeper, he proved me wrong on that score, and I think Ross is so much better when he can influence the tempo, and it's not just the flash skills then that make him such a good player
Think he misjudged Ross's character and thought he'd get big-headed/lazy with praise without realising he seems more of a confidence player that needs an arm round the shoulder and yelling at him makes him withdraw into himself.

Man United were only successful with 2 centre-mids who were less inclined to defend (although Carrick isn't bad at it) because they spent the majority of the game in possession and scoring goals. Defensive midfielders automatically become unimportant the minute you have the ball in essence.

Completely untrue. If this was the case why do most teams in world football play 2?

People seem to think that centre midfielders should attack for 90 minutes a match and be up and down the pitch scoring goals then making goal line clearances. Everton fans are a prime example.

Do you think we'd have the possession we do without Barry dictating the pace of the game? We'd hardly recover the ball as quickly as we do without McCarthy. Without those two in our side it wouldn't allow other attacking options in our team to get forward. Full backs wouldn't be able to bomb on, wingers and attacking midfielder would have more to think about defensively. Barry and McCarthy are integral to the way we play and losing them out our side would actually make us far worse going forward.

Completely untrue. If this was the case why do most teams in world football play 2?

People seem to think that centre midfielders should attack for 90 minutes a match and be up and down the pitch scoring goals then making goal line clearances. Everton fans are a prime example.

Do you think we'd have the possession we do without Barry dictating the pace of the game? We'd hardly recover the ball as quickly as we do without McCarthy. Without those two in our side it wouldn't allow other attacking options in our team to get forward. Full backs wouldn't be able to bomb on, wingers and attacking midfielder would have more to think about defensively. Barry and McCarthy are integral to the way we play and losing them out our side would actually make us far worse going forward.

I'm talking more about the defensive side of a defensive midfielders game. You don't need to be a defensive midfielder to dictate tempo. In a logical sense if the opposition don't have the ball what are we defending against? Enter the possession/attack centre-mids to control the game and keep the ball away from the opposition.

I understand the point you're making but you're misinterpreting what I'm meaning.

I am not sure how many of you remember Colin Bell ?
He played for Man City at a time when they were a top club by having a good manager and money was not the determining factor about everything.

Colin Bell was a top quality midfielder at club level, but he struggled at international level for a long time. But , the manager/managers stuck with him and in time he justified their faith and turned into a very good international player.

I think Barkley may be a bit like Colin Bell, he doesn't seem to be the most vocal or even the most confident of young players. He needs a manager to believe in him , to stick with him and to have confidence in him.
I think that RM is the perfect manager for him at present, so enthusiastic , so supportive , so "phenomenal" in his belief in Barkley.
I think Barkley is beginning to feel at home in the Everton midfield and will continue to get better.

Roy Hodgson clearly has doubts about aspects of Barkleys game and is not prepared to gamble or take undue risks. When England gets to play the better European and world teams it is the best players that can help you win matches. If you play safe then you will always be the bridesmaid and never the bride.

If Hodgson does believe in Barkley , or Stones , or Kane , or Chamberlain or any other youngster then they need to play every available minute, they need to know they have the managers confidence and it will take time but they will prove themselves as good players at that level.

Yeah Cleverly was actually someone that I thought would have helped in that derby, problem for him is he may have to play out of position for a season, same for Besic if he gets himself fit, I think games like that really highlight how tough it is to replace Pienaar
Cleverly and McCarthy behind Barkley seems like our best midfield three to me. Bit if everything in it

Reading the Football365 letters page and you have Spurs/Liverpool and even Everton fans slagging off Ross.

Apparently the he does give the ball away even if the stats show he doesn't and is just Adel Taraat in a blue shirt.

Only saw brief highlights of the games when I was in London, but the papers I bought there were very positive about him, have I missed something re the seeming negativieity he's generated? Personally I'm only really interested in England if an Everton player is playing, then I'll watch anything from u17s up. Ross will clearly go to the Euros and benefit from it, but I would be bothered if he played every game , came back knackered and started off the 16/17 season poorly. He's developed tremendously so far this season compared to last , yet still has some way to go before he reaches his full potential. If people criticise him, don't know where to play him etc that's fine by me, we know what we've got , Roberto will keep him right.

I'm kind of glad he is getting slated. It keeps the vultures from circling.

We are the ones who watch him every week, we are the ones who know how good he is and the faults he has and want him here for as long as poss.

If all others can do is focus on his defensive frailties then sod them. He will stay ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back