Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was playing any sort of forward, decent, balls and it was dcl/valencia struggling then I'd agree... but ross doesn't even find them with passes because he's looking at stekkes making blind passes sideways
So when have DCL and Valencia created any kind of quality opportunity exactly? They're simply not good enough for a team aspiring to be Top 6 regulars. At least Ross has created relatively consistently throughout the season. Need to bring in some more quality to create chances.

So when have DCL and Valencia created any kind of quality opportunity exactly? They're simply not good enough for a team aspiring to be Top 6 regulars. At least Ross has created relatively consistently throughout the season. Need to bring in some more quality to create chances.

It was a very similar to the problem at the start of the season

Barkley had to drop dead to help a legless Barry and Gana... Leaving Bolasie and Mirallas to create and rarely did. Today you had a 19 year old fro league one and a West Ham loanee

Pushed Barkley further forward when Bolasie got injured, brought in legs in the middle... Different 2nd half of the season.

Sorry I think you misread my post.

I meant if dcl and valencia WERE struggling despite forward balls etc from Ross, then I'd agree that it wasn't all down to Ross.

Whereas what I'm actually seeing is Ross creating 0.

His 'stats' are ace at 'creating' apparently... but it doesn't fool me... he takes almost every corner and free kick for example, and fluffs them but is marked down for a chance created.

I want to see sorts of defence-splitting passes from Ross, simple and effective through balls, looking up, and making decent runs into space/offering options to other players. Oh and some shooting, he needs to improve his shooting and also shoot more often. But that requires space which he isn't creating

There's more problems with the side that replacing Barkley and thinking everything will be better
It has to be one of the main priorities. Someone who is able to retain possession in tight spaces as well as picking the right pass in forward areas.

I don't think anybody is blaming him for the loss, but he needs to turn up for these games and right now just isn't.

He needs more support from his forwards and fellow midfielders. Ross I see is always making space to receive the ball but when he gets it most of our players are standing there like statues or don't try hard enough to lose there markers. If Ross played for Chelsea today with 4 and 5 players losing our players then Ross would have options galore to pass to. Its a team problem and until we have 3 or 4 players able to find space then he will always struggle.

I meant if dcl and valencia WERE struggling despite forward balls etc from Ross, then I'd agree that it wasn't all down to Ross.

His 'stats' are ace at 'creating' apparently... but it doesn't fool me... he takes almost every corner and free kick for example, and fluffs them but is marked down for a chance created.

I want to see sorts of defence-splitting passes from Ross, simple and effective through balls, looking up, and making decent runs into space/offering options to other players. Oh and some shooting, he needs to improve his shooting and also shoot more often. But that requires space which he isn't creating

He put DLC and Rom in, in the first 10mins.

It has to be one of the main priorities. Someone who is able to retain possession in tight spaces as well as picking the right pass in forward areas.

Then you buy Sigurdson and keep Barkley.

We're losing a 20+ a season striker and our entire back line and keeper need replacing. That's more important to me.

I think we're overly reliant on him to be creative and be our focus. Whilst yes, he didn't play well today, the point could also be made that it is hard to play well with Valencia (very meh) and DCL (young inexperienced also meh) as two of a front three. His best other alternative for a supporting creative player is Mirallas who goes missing in 7/10 games.
Seriously need to reinforce this area as the top teams have several creative players going forward. Perhaps then he might be yet more productive.

Barkley today was ponderous, undecided, generally very poor. The time has come for Koeman etc to decide whether the future of Everton is with or without Ross. Personally I don't think we will take the next step up if Barkley is to be the fulcrum of our creative ability. Many Premier league clubs have midfielders who might not show the rare flashing moment that we get from Ross, but they do play at a consistently reasonable level, and 'do a job' more than Ross.To make the top four, we need a couple of top four midfielders, and my doubts of the last couple of seasons re Ross are currently being reinforced. He's had about 6/7 weeks this season when you could say he's 'playing well' but that lack of consistency doesn't win title or get top four.

DCLs speed troubled Chelsea early on, and Valencia came alive in the second half until the first goal. Both contributed more positively than Ross today, and Ross' lack of end product on a regular basis will determine any decision about next seasn. Not looking good for the local lad.

So that is why he has the 7th most assists in the league then?
You can deny the stats all you want mate, but they paint a picture and it isn't one of a player that isn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back